PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me California Isn't this Bad!

SilverTauron
06-09-2012, 2:26 PM
J8jKsFYdRFA

Mofo-Kang
06-09-2012, 2:30 PM
J8jKsFYdRFA

Of course it's not.

SilverTauron
06-09-2012, 2:44 PM
Of course it's not.

There's a silver lining to consider-CA is light years better than the UK.:D

OldShooter32
06-09-2012, 2:46 PM
Good thing those Brits dumped all the rifles we sent them into the sea after WWII. Imagine how bad one of those would be. Four hours times ten cops for an air rifle? Next time fight the Germans with pikes...

MaHoTex
06-09-2012, 2:53 PM
Unbelievable. No way I could live like that.

OrenG
06-09-2012, 3:06 PM
Comparing CA directly to the UK, no it's not nearly that bad.

Comparing CA to the rest of the US and then to the UK, we are surely headed down that road at a very fast pace.

Mofo-Kang
06-09-2012, 3:08 PM
Someone on 4chan posted a link to a UK newspaper article that was basically hysterical over a .22 Short round found on a sidewalk.

Another about a guy who put up barbed wire around his garden because thieves had been stealing the stuff he was growing, and the local council (local government, essentially) made him take it down because the thieves might get injured by it.

wireless
06-09-2012, 3:14 PM
Unbelievable. No way I could live like that.

That's what I instinctively think about first as well, but if you look at the murder/violent crime rate in the UK you may feel different. This is a country where the culture and government kept guns out. That worked for them. We don't live in a society where that's a realistic way of controlling violence. We live in a much different culture and society, so for us that doesn't work. When you live in a society where you don't have to fear guns, the need to have one becomes much less important.

huntercf
06-09-2012, 3:17 PM
They're not illegal but we are taking them anyway so we can maybe pin something else on you; A lot of ammunition was seized (3 live rounds???).
I thought they fought against the nazi's? Did I miss something, I thought hitler lost WWII, by the looks of this he won and took over UK.
For CA, give them some time, it isn't that bad yet but I could see that happening in our lifetimes.

safewaysecurity
06-09-2012, 3:18 PM
I can't even begin to explain how ridiculous this is.... the police are almost like children. It's like they taught them the eddie eagle program " stop don't touch leave the area tell a real fricken officer "

wireless
06-09-2012, 3:20 PM
I wouldn't want someone touching a gun who has no idea what they are doing.

mc21
06-09-2012, 3:20 PM
This is Britain's toughest cops? I've seen more violence in parking wars haha.

TKM
06-09-2012, 3:21 PM
From five years ago.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/george-orwell-big-brother-is-watching-your-house-7086271.html

It hasn't gotten better.

SanPedroShooter
06-09-2012, 3:23 PM
Britains incedence of crimes like assault, robbery, car theft, home invasion is markedly higher than the US.

Is this because their society is cowed and disarmed....? How safe you would feel protecting your family with a cricket bat.... and then getting arrested for it?

England is probably the furthest down the bottom of 'slippery slope' of any first world country. You wanna see where California is headed....

And to the poster that said the '...government keeps guns out', do you really believe that?

AVS
06-09-2012, 3:36 PM
Has it really worked? Hot burglaries have skyrocketed in the UK since they got rid of their guns. And you're far more likely to be stabbed in the UK than you are shot in the USA.

(Hot Burglaries = Burglaries where the residents are at home.)

If it were up to me... I'd rather live in a culture where I'm *less* likely to wake up and find someone burglarizing my home. I've also head many times that getting stabbed is typically a lot worse than being shot.

That's what I instinctively think about first as well, but if you look at the murder/violent crime rate in the UK you may feel different. This is a country where the culture and government kept guns out. That worked for them. We don't live in a society where that's a realistic way of controlling violence. We live in a much different culture and society, so for us that doesn't work. When you live in a society where you don't have to fear guns, the need to have one becomes much less important.

MaHoTex
06-09-2012, 3:44 PM

I do not have guns because of fear. I have guns because shooting them is a fun way to relax and get my mind off the every day stress from work.

pointedstick
06-09-2012, 3:48 PM

You don't have to fear yobs with guns to want one of your own for protection of self and loved ones. You can fear yobs with knives, baseball bats, tire irons, superior numbers, etc, and I don't believe Britain is very well able to control those, can it?

wireless
06-09-2012, 4:28 PM
No they can't control those. Now go look at violent crime and murder associated with those weapons in the UK. the numbers are pretty low.

More proof that the culture and people make violence. Not guns, not knives, not clubs.

Steve1968LS2
06-09-2012, 4:35 PM

I sounds like you don't have much of a clue regarding crime in the UK.. Might want to study up a bit :)

wireless
06-09-2012, 4:48 PM
I'm well aware it's the "violent crime capital" of Europe. I've read the papers.

They had less than 650 murders in 2008,2009, 2010 each year. With a population of 65 million that's 1/4 of what our murder rate is with fire arms alone.

More proof that the culture and people make violence. Not guns, not knives, not clubs.

We are violent people. Guns don't make us violent, just like lack of guns don't make the UK peaceful. Our cultures are what drive our violence.

I never said keeping guns out was right. If you read what I said, you'd clearly see I said "that's what works for them". That doesn't mean I agree with it.

Apocalypsenerd
06-09-2012, 5:15 PM
I haven't done a lot of research on the topic of the British criminal justice system, but I've read a little bit on how they misreport crime intentionally to "prove" their culture is less violent.

When something happens, a homicide or a beating, they misreport it as something more benign. Then as they gather evidence they change what they call the incident. The initial reporting is what is used in their crime statistics, however. So if they call a homicide an accidental death, the official "crime" report will always show an accident even if they change it to a murder later on.

I've read very little on the subject, though, so without more research I observe what I've read with some skepticisim.

jimx
06-09-2012, 5:30 PM
Britains incedence of crimes like assault, robbery, car theft, home invasion is markedly higher than the US.

And you're far more likely to be stabbed in the UK than you are shot in the USA.

Do you guys have any links or documentation?
I find it hard to beleave that you're far more likely to be stabbed in the UK than shot in the us. Also "crimes like assault, robbery, car theft, home invasion" are not just higher in the UK but "is markedly higher"

SanPedroShooter
06-09-2012, 7:24 PM
As I point out furthur down, its not wholly accurate to comapre these numbers across the board, but according to the EU/UN. The US violent crime rate is 466 per 100,000. The UK's is 2,034. That is markedly higher in my opinion. (numbers from 2009 the US numbers have gotten even lower. I dont know about the UK)

Quick and dirty.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fukne ws%2Flaw-and-order%2F7922755%2FEngland-has-worse-crime-rate-than-the-US-says-Civitas-study.html&ei=XhPUT83ZLeKL2AWrweWUDw&usg=AFQjCNGLRLtwuQ3S5vkI7nwbSYuCpK34lQ&sig2=lR6vBpb-Yqy3NfWSCqbflQ

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

This is from a blog, but it has links to the UN/EU study numbers. This data is all from around 2006/7 The latest year available I think.
http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2009/07/people-refuse-to-believe-this-is-true.html

http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2007/01/crime-in-uk-versus-crime-in-us.html

Oh and I forgot rape. The US has more murders commited with guns, suprise suprise. Thats like saying the Amish have more horse and buggy accidents than the general population....

But things like assaults, hot creep burglarys, rapes... real quality of life issues are higher in 'gun free zone' England. Not to mention the cameras on every street corner, unarmed poilce, hysterical 'zero tolerance' gun laws, the welfare state and everything that goes along with it, and an almost complete ban on self defense.

Do you think you are more likely to stabbed, assaulted or have your home invaded than murdered? I'll keep my gun and take my chances with getting randomly murdered.

Of course, its hard to compare numbers straight across the board. There are just so many factors. We have all seen the number of guns sold go through the roof combined with crime rate going through the floor, but correlation doesnt necessarily equal causation, and of course that works both way. Banning gun (and bats and kitchen knives and screw drivers and karate) didnt lower the crime rate in England either, but I digress.

So as one poster said, its not the guns its the people. And in my opinon, the peoples acess to a self reliant mentality and the tools to defend themselves and their property that makes a difference, but as I said, just my opinion.

England ruled the world in the ninteenth century, now they are the most shocking example of where California could be headed.

What happend over there?

06-09-2012, 7:54 PM
This is Britain's toughest cops? I've seen more violence in parking wars haha.

That was my thought. :laugh:

trew10
06-09-2012, 7:55 PM
if your not from california, you need to be reminded that california is gang capital of the nation. norther and southern california are full of gangs. you have a bunch of stupid people killing each other and innocent people of course they will be strict with laws against guns in california. i have seen first hand in los angeles how people are so quick to pull a gun and kill some one with no regard to human life. but like everything else if its illegal it only brings up the price and makes it more desirable.

elSquid
06-09-2012, 8:31 PM
Holy crap! The guy had a knife AND an air rifle!

( I could only watch the first couple of minutes... did they actually find anything? )

Reminded me of the Romans in the movie "The Life of Brian":

OXltf7oUOBI

:rofl2:

-- Michael

POLICESTATE
06-09-2012, 8:39 PM
It's not that bad yet. By the time we're that bad you won't be able to walk out your door in the UK with shoelaces in your shoes since you might use em as a weapon.

Hell by then you might not be allowed to walk out the door without the Queen's permission. Probably be a king then, whatever.

****ing limey subjects

POLICESTATE
06-09-2012, 8:40 PM
if your not from california, you need to be reminded that california is gang capital of the nation. norther and southern california are full of gangs. you have a bunch of stupid people killing each other and innocent people of course they will be strict with laws against guns in california. i have seen first hand in los angeles how people are so quick to pull a gun and kill some one with no regard to human life. but like everything else if its illegal it only brings up the price and makes it more desirable.

I keep hoping the gangs will just kill each other off completely, been 3 decades I've been waiting for this... still waiting...

Just gets worse. We should be shooting these low-lifes IMO.

k1dude
06-09-2012, 9:46 PM
The air rifle and broadheads weren't illegal, but they confiscated them anyway. Nice.

CalBear
06-09-2012, 9:56 PM
*Officer picks up sharp pencil, shows it on camera*

"While not yet illegal, this is obviously something we don't want him having access to"

*Places pencil in evidence bag*

sergtjim
06-09-2012, 10:12 PM
So of course you make sure the innocent can't protect themselves, and thus turn the streets over to the very thugs you decry.

Kappy
06-09-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm both disgusted and amused by this video. They're taking items which aren't illegal in and of themselves, but which might point to illegal activity? Hey... people wear balaclavas when they rob banks... but they drive cars too. Can you just take their cars?

And then I'm amused that these are their toughest cops. That must mean that any of our cops individually are equal to their entire team of tough cops, eh?

Ub3rD0rk
06-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm happy those cops got out of that room that the air rifle was in, and got it sealed off . I've heard of air rifles killing entire families when they are startled. I almost screamed when I saw that air rifle sitting in the corner menacingly.

Rusty Scabbard
06-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Man! that was painful to watch. Oh-oh nanny police nanny police, watcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when they come for you. .....

battleship
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
You guys crack me up, if you think that crime and brutal crime in the U.K. is far less per head than it is on the the streets or towns and cities in the U.S. Then go for a night out in Manchester, London, Liverpool, or Newcastle etc you will have neck pain from looking over your shoulder all the time, you will wish you were packing for protection.

There is a lawless cultural mindset in England and it has gotten worse as every year goes by. Coupled with the mass immigration in the past 2 decades has resulted in a society plagued with violence, and gun related crime. 2 decades ago it was virtually unheard of unless it was a mad man going on an isolated spree. Now guns have become the tool of choice and there is a big market for illegal guns.

The OP's video doesn't cover the real scale of what is going on over there, its just a snippet of what the U.K. police now are dealing with. They have had to re think there policies and tactics to stem the tide of gun violence. In doing so, if they get wind of any crime that might involve guns be it a air rifle, then they now treat it as if there looking for a MAC 10.

You want to get a real perspective on the tough or as you put it not so tough U.K. police then Youtube CO 19 Armed police and watch the many videos detailing there training and crime fighting.

Lastly i have always felt a hundred percent more safe walking the streets of Oakland Chicago and L.A. than i ever did living in the U.K.

Just go there and get that over your shoulder feeling.

SanPedroShooter
06-10-2012, 5:12 AM
Hmmm.... Interesting. I would personally feel that much more uneasy knowing I was totaly disarmed, not even a sharp object to protect my wife or myself. Or if I did, I would get canned for it. You are totaly at the mercy of anyone stronger than you or in a larger group than you. Its like the caveman days where men roamed in packs and threw rocks at each other.

Nope.... London is on the 'no go' list for now....

dantodd
06-10-2012, 5:35 AM
Has the UK turned into "Clockwork Orange?"

Dutch3
06-10-2012, 5:47 AM
They banned guns and carrying of knives, then encouraged the subjects to turn in their sharp kitchen knives and replace them with blunt-tipped versions.

There seems to be an infatuation with knives as weapons in the UK. Check out these knife sets from a UK vendor:

http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Voodoo_5_Piece_Knife_Set_with_Block.html

I don't think I would want that sitting on my kitchen counter. :eek:

dantodd
06-10-2012, 5:55 AM
Seriously? Those knife sets are all over the place, not even close to being representative of a UK infatuation with knives. Here is where I first saw it: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/86dd/

They banned guns and carrying of knives, then encouraged the subjects to turn in their sharp kitchen knives and replace them with blunt-tipped versions.

There seems to be an infatuation with knives as weapons in the UK. Check out these knife sets from a UK vendor:

http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Voodoo_5_Piece_Knife_Set_with_Block.html

I don't think I would want that sitting on my kitchen counter. :eek:

Cnynrat
06-10-2012, 6:08 AM
Good thing those Brits dumped all the rifles we sent them into the sea after WWII. Imagine how bad one of those would be. Four hours times ten cops for an air rifle? Next time fight the Germans with pikes...

Don't forget the pocket knife, the .22 round, and worst of all, that seedy balaclava! :rolleyes:

xpbprox
06-10-2012, 6:10 AM

Of course? Why of course, how does it make sence to have dumb gun laws when the only people that abide by them are law abiding citizen?

Dutch3
06-10-2012, 7:13 AM
Seriously? Those knife sets are all over the place, not even close to being representative of a UK infatuation with knives. Here is where I first saw it: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/86dd/

Ha. I had not seen them before, but one of the first things to show up in a search for "UK kitchen knives".

compulsivegunbuyer
06-10-2012, 7:23 AM
Just one of many policies that have bankrupted that country. All that manpower for an air rifle. All that immigration added how much to the welfare roles?

dantodd
06-10-2012, 7:44 AM
Ha. I had not seen them before, but one of the first things to show up in a search for "UK kitchen knives".

If the knives were good quality or the block more generic I might contemplate buying one, they are pretty cool.

But, yes, the .gov and general population in the UK are petrified of the rampant violence. I remember seeing that even sharp kitchen knives are regulated and you have to be 21 to buy them (maybe 18.) I even remember an article about someone getting jammed up for buying a pizza cutter without proper ID.

Oops... I was passing FUD. She was only "asked to show ID" for the pizza cutter because Marks and Spencer is a "responsible retailer"

ewarmour
06-10-2012, 8:11 AM
That video would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.

If you think this is even remotely possible in California then you should be a member of the NRA and be contributing to the NRA-ILA and Calguns Foundation among other pro 2a organizations.

Those bobbies would probably soil themselves if they saw my p-rod.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-la5JTSopfps/T8LT2Msg1LI/AAAAAAAAPXc/MDjyEbtq9Cw/s800/2012-05-27_17-58-03_343.jpg

SanPedroShooter
06-10-2012, 8:20 AM
That video would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.

If you think this is even remotely possible in California the you should be a member of the NRA and be contributing to the NRA-ILA and Calguns Foundation among other pro 2a organizations.

Those bobbies would probably soil themselves if they saw my p-rod.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-la5JTSopfps/T8LT2Msg1LI/AAAAAAAAPXc/MDjyEbtq9Cw/s800/2012-05-27_17-58-03_343.jpg

Good advice.

Nice WMD.;)

Mesa Tactical
06-10-2012, 8:21 AM
Another about a guy who put up barbed wire around his garden because thieves had been stealing the stuff he was growing, and the local council (local government, essentially) made him take it down because the thieves might get injured by it.

Odd, since broken glass set into the cement on the tops of walls (probably a Victorian innovation) is fairly common in the UK.

The UK essentially surrendered the right to personal self defense around 1950. A lot of crazy stuff was happening in the UK in those days.

I've lived in the UK, and it can be a very pleasant place to live. Of course, I was there during the tail end of the Troubles, when the IRA was setting off bombs in London and on one occasion I was using Heathrow airport while the IRA was firing mortars at one of the runways. The British maintained a stiff upper lip throughout, responding to the threat of terrorism with far more confidence and composure than Americans did following 9/11 (as did the French, who suffered bomb attacks on the Paris Metro in the late 1990s; Metro trains would simply bypass the bombed stations, but they didn't close the system).

I do not know what happened to the normally stoic British in the face of Islamic terrorism during the last decade. A people who stood so proudly against Irish terror seem simply to have crumpled and surrendered most of their rights and dignity to the police (a dangerously corrupt and incompetent police, as the death of Jean Charles de Menezes and the ongoing Leveson inquiry have revealed). It is really a strange sight to see for someone who lived with them through part of the Troubles.

SanPedroShooter
06-10-2012, 8:32 AM
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/brentx39/big_brother_f.jpg

Feel better now?

One of the strangest stories I have read is the account of grown men lining up for blocks, some in tears, handing in their recently banned pistols and rifles (and any ammo or acessories, holsters etc..) in the nineties. Family heirlooms, war trophies all went into the North Sea...

Can you imagine Americans doing that? I cant... I think there would be a run on shovels, or civil war...

Even in California less the 10% registered their 'assault weapons'.

Dutch3
06-10-2012, 8:44 AM
That video is unbelievable. Confiscation of pocket knives and fired brass? I hope we are not headed down that path.

Demonicspire
06-10-2012, 9:18 AM
Boy that video makes my blood boil. And people in this thread are right, England has severe violent crime problems. I know several people who have been mugged visiting london. Apparently you are 5 times more likely to be mugged in london than in new york (not the greatest example given new york's gun fascism, but still)

Ford8N
06-10-2012, 9:28 AM
Even in California less the 10% registered their 'assault weapons'.

This gives me hope that California gun owners will resist the Rulers of this state when they finally get around to banning all firearms, not just "scary looking" firearms.

Kid Stanislaus
06-10-2012, 9:39 AM
It had to be done "For the children"!

ap3572001
06-10-2012, 9:55 AM
California DOES have some restrictions when it comes to firearms but its NOT as bad as many like to think.

I travel a lot and seen much , much worse.

Taztwnpa
06-10-2012, 10:22 AM
If you think this is even remotely possible in California the you should be a member of the NRA and be contributing to the NRA-ILA and Calguns Foundation among other pro 2a organizations.

+1

We have to watch out with the "at least things here are not as bad as" mentality. Because it happens a little at a time and before you know it We will have the same thing here.

k1dude
06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
When you give up your freedom for security, you will have neither freedom nor security.

sixtus
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
This video makes me really glad we have the 4th amendment.

ojisan
06-10-2012, 12:53 PM
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/brentx39/big_brother_f.jpg

This billboard is so Orwellian it is very, very scary.
:shock:

Johnnyfres
06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow , what a frigin joke. Glad I am an American.

vincewarde
06-10-2012, 6:10 PM
The British gun laws cover "high powered" air rifles - they are regulated as firearms. Wonderful.....

My primary care is a P.A. originally from the UK. He told me that they were going to ban glass beer mugs in pubs because they were so frequently used as weapons in bar fights.

My feeling on this whole matter is that when you treat an entire nation like a prison - you should not be surprised when they act like criminals.

chris
06-10-2012, 6:12 PM
Of course it's not.

There's a silver lining to consider-CA is light years better than the UK.:D

but dying to catch up.

steamerjames
06-10-2012, 7:12 PM
Gun control there dates to the 16th century.To own a gun you must be a LANDOWNER,99% of the popululation do not even own the land under their own houses. If you are a workingman, you have ZERO chance of getting a FC, to own a shotgun or Rifle you must have a place to shoot it.Even if you win the loottery, you could not go on a "shooting party".Why, inyou're the wrong CLASS, and they do not want you.My Grandfather left for the USA in 1912 becuase they would not let him join the local soccer club, because he was the son of a WORKINGMAN.Some things never change.That's why they lost their Pistols, too electest, 1% of the population is not enought to effect any change.

oni.dori
06-10-2012, 7:20 PM
They distrust their citizens so much, that even the cops can't carry/touch weapons? Yet, they let them search for firearms, but have to call in a special "firearms expert team" to clear them?

sergtjim
06-11-2012, 6:24 AM
+1

We have to watch out with the "at least things here are not as bad as" mentality. Because it happens a little at a time and before you know it We will have the same thing here.

"As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." ¥ The Douglas Letters : Selections from the Private Papers of Justice William O. Douglas (1987), edited by Melvin I. Urofsky and Philip E. Urofsky, p. 16

Guess what folks, it's twilight, and I can just barely distinguish a black thread from a white one.

sikesr
06-11-2012, 6:56 AM
Thank god great great grandad left that ****hole.

SWalt
06-11-2012, 7:55 AM
The "perp" obviously suffers from "Battered Citizen Syndrome". Its most noticeable symptom is sharp and rapid "ok......ok.....ok...." when told anything by an officer.

Wherryj
06-11-2012, 7:55 AM
Someone on 4chan posted a link to a UK newspaper article that was basically hysterical over a .22 Short round found on a sidewalk.

It's even worse than that. Police departments in the UK have warned citizens against putting up glass with wire reinforcement in their windows as protection against thieves. It seems that the thieves might get hurt if they break the windows.

DTOM CA!
06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Can someone redub the background music of the Benny Hill theme song to that video ?

bhartin
06-11-2012, 2:43 PM
I keep hoping the gangs will just kill each other off completely, been 3 decades I've been waiting for this... still waiting...

Just gets worse. We should be shooting these low-lifes IMO.

The problem is every time they do a drive-by or have some other shootout they miss their targets and hit innocent people all around them.

Obviously the solution should be advanced firearm training for all gang members. That should help them finish each other off more efficiently and without wasting innocent lives! :D

oni.dori
06-11-2012, 4:51 PM
This billboard is so Orwellian it is very, very scary.
:shock:

How 1984 of them.

KWB977
06-11-2012, 5:16 PM
not sure of the back story, but good lord, you would think this is a cartel compound and they are manufacturing WMDs........

talk about a paranoid lot.

DrDavid
06-11-2012, 7:11 PM
Wow.. I don't even have words.. dozens of cops and specialized units to handle guns.. Absolutely insane stupidity.

SilverTauron
06-11-2012, 9:54 PM
The "perp" obviously suffers from "Battered Citizen Syndrome". Its most noticeable symptom is sharp and rapid "ok......ok.....ok...." when told anything by an officer.

In all fairness, in Britian I doubt there's anything like the 4th Amendment in play there.If he dared say "this is my property so please GTFO" they'd have cuffed him and shot his pets for good measure.

SanPedroShooter
06-12-2012, 6:43 AM
In all fairness, in Britian I doubt there's anything like the 4th Amendment in play there.If he dared say "this is my property so please GTFO" they'd have cuffed him and shot his pets for good measure.

Ha ha shoot his pets with what....? Theyd have to call a team to come out and do it for them.

Mesa Tactical
06-12-2012, 9:39 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_Rights_1689

“The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail, its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter, the rain may enter -- but the King of England cannot enter; all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement!”

- William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham

Fate
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Part 1 of the movie, V for Vendetta has come to pass. I hope Britons find the courage to take the next step.

Decoligny
06-12-2012, 10:42 AM

U.S. Violent Crimes (FBI) by U.S. population (2010 Census):

1,246,248 / 308,745,538

This equates to 40.4 violent crimes per 10,000 people in the U.S.

UK Violent Crimes (www.statistics.gov.uk) by U.K. population (www.ons.gov.uk)

887,942 / 62,300,000

This equates to 142.5 violent crimes per 10,000 people in the UK

Unless the numbers reported are way off, this looks like the UK is a much more dangerous place than the U.S.

As I figure this, the UK has a violent crime rate that is roughly 350% that of the U.S.

How's that gun control working out for them? Not so great.

Dreaded Claymore
06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
I do not know what happened to the normally stoic British in the face of Islamic terrorism during the last decade. A people who stood so proudly against Irish terror seem simply to have crumpled and surrendered most of their rights and dignity to the police (a dangerously corrupt and incompetent police, as the death of Jean Charles de Menezes and the ongoing Leveson inquiry have revealed). It is really a strange sight to see for someone who lived with them through part of the Troubles.

They must be following our example. After the World Trade Center was attacked, this country just plain lost it.

MudCamper
06-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I can't even begin to explain how ridiculous this is.... the police are almost like children. It's like they taught them the eddie eagle program " stop don't touch leave the area tell a real fricken officer "

Yep. Those "police" are emasculated to the point that they can't even touch what is a child's toy here in the USA. Sad. And the manpower they are spending on this nonsense is almost as unbelievable.

k1dude
06-12-2012, 12:30 PM

1,246,248 / 308,745,538

887,942 / 62,300,000

Unless the numbers reported are way off, this looks like the UK is a much more dangerous place than the U.S.

As I figure this, the UK has a violent crime rate that is roughly 350% that of the U.S.

And most violent crimes are vastly underreported. As the crime rate began to explode after they banned most firearms, the politicians began to mess with the way crime was reported to obfuscate the failure of the gun ban. The way they compile their statistics is skewed to reclassify most violent crimes as non-violent. I can't recall the details, but it's something along the lines of stuff like "armed robbery" is reclassified as "theft" and "assault" is reclassified as "disorderly conduct."

So the REAL violent crime rate is actually much higher than the reported rate.

So it's far worse than 350% greater than the US.

Glock22Fan
06-12-2012, 1:16 PM
You guys crack me up, if you think that crime and brutal crime in the U.K. is far less per head than it is on the the streets or towns and cities in the U.S. Then go for a night out in Manchester, London, Liverpool, or Newcastle etc you will have neck pain from looking over your shoulder all the time, you will wish you were packing for protection.

There is a lawless cultural mindset in England and it has gotten worse as every year goes by. Coupled with the mass immigration in the past 2 decades has resulted in a society plagued with violence, and gun related crime. 2 decades ago it was virtually unheard of unless it was a mad man going on an isolated spree. Now guns have become the tool of choice and there is a big market for illegal guns.

The OP's video doesn't cover the real scale of what is going on over there, its just a snippet of what the U.K. police now are dealing with. They have had to re think there policies and tactics to stem the tide of gun violence. In doing so, if they get wind of any crime that might involve guns be it a air rifle, then they now treat it as if there looking for a MAC 10.

You want to get a real perspective on the tough or as you put it not so tough U.K. police then Youtube CO 19 Armed police and watch the many videos detailing there training and crime fighting.

Lastly i have always felt a hundred percent more safe walking the streets of Oakland Chicago and L.A. than i ever did living in the U.K.

Just go there and get that over your shoulder feeling.

As someone who lived for over fifty years in England, I agree. There are plenty of places I feel safe in England, and plenty I don't feel safe. Just as there's plenty of places over here I feel safe and plenty I don't. Even back in my youth, we well knew that people of my culture did not go anywhere near the Bamboo Club in Bristol after nightfall, and preferably not in daylight either.

Over there, you are more likely to get accosted by drunken yobs (boys spelled backwards), aka bovver boys (bother boys). They are unlikely to have guns, but knives, broken bottles, bricks etc. are common. Many of them wear steel toe-capped boots, so as to do more damage when they kick you. Flat caps with razor blades sewn into the peak are not unknown, especially in Northern Britain. Bag snatching in the streets is also common

And yes, hot home invasions are more common as well. There've been cases where kids have been beaten to get parents to show where the valuables are, open safes etc.

As far as the Gov keeping guns out, stories in the press are perennial from reporters going into pubs in inner city areas and walking out with a .38 and ammo. Usual cost, about 5-600 bucks. And don't forget, a few years back in Manchester on New Year's Eve, a driveby shooting with a gaggle of fully automatic UZI's. And if you can't get guns, there was a high school massacre, hardly got any publicity, where a disgruntled kid killed quite a few students in an exam room with a flame thrower he made by putting gasoline into a fire extinguisher.

Culture does make a big difference. There are countries with more guns and more crime, and countries with more guns and less crimes. And vice versa.

Brits are brainwashed into thinking that their communities are safer because of the hard line on firearms. They may be a little safer, but not because of gun control.

DrDavid
06-12-2012, 1:56 PM

1,246,248 / 308,745,538

887,942 / 62,300,000

Getting rid of guns just changes the manner in which you are killed. Would you rather be shot to death, or beaten to death with a baseball bat? It doesn't make you safer--it just makes you die different.

(Edited to add.. Plus, lots of people with guns is actually a deterrent to crime. Would you go duck hunting if some of the ducks shot back?)

Decoligny
06-13-2012, 5:35 AM
Getting rid of guns just changes the manner in which you are killed. Would you rather be shot to death, or beaten to death with a baseball bat? It doesn't make you safer--it just makes you die different.

(Edited to add.. Plus, lots of people with guns is actually a deterrent to crime. Would you go duck hunting if some of the ducks shot back?)

Guns do a whole lot more than change the way you are killed. They change the whole dynamic. A group of five thugs in the UK don't think twice about beating a lone person half to death, because they have the advantage. The odds are not equal, and the danger is not equal. A group of five thugs in an encounter with one man with a gun are not so likely to try to beat him half to death. A 300 lb rapist is not a threat to a 100lb woman with a 1911 at the ready.

A society with no access to firearms will enevitably have more violence perpetrated by the strong against the weak, because there is no "great equilizer". The gun is that great equilizer.

Glock22Fan
06-13-2012, 7:47 AM
Guns do a whole lot more than change the way you are killed. They change the whole dynamic. A group of five thugs in the UK don't think twice about beating a lone person half to death, because they have the advantage. The odds are not equal, and the danger is not equal. A group of five thugs in an encounter with one man with a gun are not so likely to try to beat him half to death. A 300 lb rapist is not a threat to a 100lb woman with a 1911 at the ready.

A society with no access to firearms will enevitably have more violence perpetrated by the strong against the weak, because there is no "great equilizer". The gun is that great equilizer.

Exactly. And most gangs of thugs I've seen in England tend to be larger in number. Near a soccer stadium, after a match, the rampaging drunk fans can number thousands. And if you're obviously a fan, and you run into a gang of opposition fans (especially if they lost), then watch out indeed. Mind you, anyone with any sense stays away from such areas, or at least travels in strength (bus loads).

Oh yes, I've just remembered another name used over there, "Lager louts."

Bhobbs
06-13-2012, 7:49 AM
Ok, it's not that bad, yet.

jimx
06-14-2012, 7:14 AM
As I point out furthur down, its not wholly accurate to comapre these numbers across the board, but according to the EU/UN. The US violent crime rate is 466 per 100,000. The UK's is 2,034. That is markedly higher in my opinion. (numbers from 2009 the US numbers have gotten even lower. I dont know about the UK)

Quick and dirty.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fukne ws%2Flaw-and-order%2F7922755%2FEngland-has-worse-crime-rate-than-the-US-says-Civitas-study.html&ei=XhPUT83ZLeKL2AWrweWUDw&usg=AFQjCNGLRLtwuQ3S5vkI7nwbSYuCpK34lQ&sig2=lR6vBpb-Yqy3NfWSCqbflQ

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

This is from a blog, but it has links to the UN/EU study numbers. This data is all from around 2006/7 The latest year available I think.
http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2009/07/people-refuse-to-believe-this-is-true.html

http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2007/01/crime-in-uk-versus-crime-in-us.html

What happend over there?

Wow, not just England but 9 other EU country's... More Violent crime in Canada and Luxembourg that the US...

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html#ixzz1xmTHYszT
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/02/article-1196941-05900DF7000005DC-677_468x636.jpg

SanPedroShooter
06-14-2012, 8:10 AM
Yes indeed it is suprising. I still maintain that a lot of these numbers must be looked at sceptically, and they just dont compare across the board.

I will say that any place where criminals have more rights than the law abiding (most of the first world) are doing it *** backwards.

I also wonder even if guns made a free society a more dangerous place, would I still not be entitled to carry one for defense? I always wonder how people that have some anecdotal horror story about their neighbor shooting their own dog or whatever relates to my pre existing natural right to defend my life and property.

I will not be convinced that the free mans inherent right to life and property, and the right to protect it, is subject to some nebulous 'collective good'. Guns are force equalizer and force for good everywhere they are used by free people in defense. The fact they can have a potential, even a high potential, for misuse leaves me cold. I am just not personally interested further than locking up and throwing away the key of anyone that offends and abuses our first freedom. There is nothing more wicked than abusing the rights of man to harm or kill innocents.

The only collectivism I support is the sacrifices we all must pay to live in a free society. These gun law 'compromises' do little or nothing to stop crime, and they leave the honest at a disadvantage. That is immoral and wrong.

Here is something our friends left behind in Europe cant quite grasp about America:

We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. ~Thomas Paine