PDA

View Full Version : Tromix AK Charging Handle

addyyoon
06-09-2012, 1:32 PM
Hey guys, I know there have been previous threads on this product, but I just received mine from a fellow Calgunner and I have to say this thing is great! It was easy to install, doesn't wiggle at all, adds more surface area and grips better. I'm sure it won't effect the function of the AK and it's so much more comfortable from the standard charging handle. Anyways, just my .02 :P

Here's a pic from the web for anyone who's unfamiliar with these little guys.
http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/images/SGP79-800.jpg

Jpach
06-09-2012, 1:33 PM
Dude post pics of the whole gun! Is that a draco?

addyyoon
06-09-2012, 1:35 PM
Haha it's just one that I found on Google images. Didn't feel like taking pics :P

Richard Erichsen
06-09-2012, 2:06 PM
Hey guys, I know there have been previous threads on this product, but I just received mine from a fellow Calgunner and I have to say this thing is great! It was easy to install, doesn't wiggle at all, adds more surface area and grips better. I'm sure it won't effect the function of the AK and it's so much more comfortable from the standard charging handle. Anyways, just my .02 :P

For those blessed with a full machine shop, it's a hunk of knurled steel. I had Roccobro cut me some 20 mm thick drill rod, knurl it and TIG weld it on the carefully prepared stump of the bolt carrier. On another bolt carrier I used the rounded bolt handle and slightly upcurved stem of a bolt action rifle that Green Mountain was selling, cut the back off and had Roccobro weld that onto a carrier for my other M72 build. If you wanted a Galil style charging handle that was bent upward at 90 degrees with a knurled bit of knob at the end, a bit more time on the lathe and then heat the stem with a torch while in a vice and bend it. Securing them with setscrews makes me nervous, it really should be welded for a permanent fixture with no risk of anything coming loose as the round counts climb.

R

Fate
06-09-2012, 5:05 PM
I'm always leery of adding or removing mass to a bolt/bolt carrier. I believe there's always a price to pay when altering the physics of a machine's moving parts. I have friends that added extended charging handles to 10/22's and then began having all kinds of issues. They went away when the stock charging handle was replaced.

YMMV.

osis32
06-09-2012, 5:10 PM
I really wouldn't worry about a couple ounces on an AK. I'd worry about it coming off but even if it does the stock ch Should still be there.

desertmedic
06-09-2012, 8:07 PM
Looks good. Id love to get an upturned charging handle like the Galils. Do they even make those for a 7.62 AK?

DiscoBayJoe
06-09-2012, 8:10 PM
I got one for my Saiga (I think it's Tromix, looks the same), however, the set screw keeps backing out and it goes flying off mid-action. When it stays on the charging handle it feels great. I need to get some Locktite

arsilva32
06-09-2012, 8:16 PM
i have one on my Draco but i must say im always worried it might come off . it should def be welded

addyyoon
06-09-2012, 8:47 PM
They do have the Galil style charging handles

desertmedic
06-09-2012, 8:56 PM
WHERE?!?!?

Richard Erichsen
06-09-2012, 9:02 PM
I got one for my Saiga (I think it's Tromix, looks the same), however, the set screw keeps backing out and it goes flying off mid-action. When it stays on the charging handle it feels great. I need to get some Locktite

This is why they need to be WELDED. You might try permanent/high temp threadlock, but even that can shake loose in enough rounds.

R

Richard Erichsen
06-09-2012, 9:03 PM
Looks good. Id love to get an upturned charging handle like the Galils. Do they even make those for a 7.62 AK?

Yes, but as mentioned, you could make better with a half hour of free time and a welder, or provide instructions to any local machine shop for about $50 of machinist time and $2.50 of materials.

R

Richard Erichsen
06-09-2012, 9:06 PM
I'm always leery of adding or removing mass to a bolt/bolt carrier. I believe there's always a price to pay when altering the physics of a machine's moving parts. I have friends that added extended charging handles to 10/22's and then began having all kinds of issues. They went away when the stock charging handle was replaced.

YMMV.

It's not that carefully balanced. If this were a .22 rifle, I'd second your comments, but it's not. There is more than enough energy to fling the carrier against the rear trunnion added mass or not. I'm using a 5% stronger (XP) Wolff recoil spring on mine and it works great on everything from mild to wild 7.62x39 mm loadings.

R

Richard Erichsen
06-09-2012, 9:09 PM
I really wouldn't worry about a couple ounces on an AK. I'd worry about it coming off but even if it does the stock ch Should still be there.

Not all. Some of them require that you cut off the old handle, flatten a spot, then drill a hole into the carrier and tap a hole for the new charging handle. I'm not fan of that. If you do drill/tap and hand tighten, it should still be tack welded around the perimeter. If it did work loose, you'd be SOL because the old handle is gone. Approaching it as a welding project avoids all of this.

R

Richard Erichsen
06-09-2012, 9:16 PM
http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/tromix-galil-charging-handle-weld-on-p-173.html

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-132/TROMIX-GALIL-CHARGING-HANDLE/Detail

Same source, different vendors (Tromix is the manufacturer). Welded on, as intended. The existing handle should be cut and shaped so that the upturned handle transitions nicely into it and then welded in place.

R

Richard Erichsen
06-09-2012, 9:19 PM
Here is mine on my M72 "modernized" build.

R