View Full Version : New Shotgun

06-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I've been doing a ton of research on new shotgun after coming across a gentleman at my sporting clay range, recently. He had the Benelli M2 Field in 12 gauge and 28" barrel. After shouldering this shotgun, I was sold. I just had to shoot it first..

After having gone out to the Raahauges shooting sports fair last weekend, I was able to get my hands on a selection of different shotguns that interested me. I figured I owed it to myself to check out as many different guns and brands as I could - competition for the Benelli. My day started out at the Benelli booth, shooting the Vinci, M2, and Ultra Light (had wanted to shoot the Montefeltro, but it wasn't there in 12). Headed on over to to Beretta booth, and used the A400 (the only one they brought), and then off to Remington for the 1100. I did a quick five rounds through each, and felt like I was sold. The M2 just did it all for me. The Vinci was just...weird. The Ultra Light was just too light, and kicked harder (not much, but noticeable). The A400 had the Kick-off, and bugged me to no end. I just couldn't ever get comfortable with it. Call me old school, but I guess I like a gun that gives a little kick. The 1100 just wasn't in the same league. I won't even comment.

Headed back out to my local sporting clays range, yesterday, and demo'd the M2. Man was I impressed. Ended up putting 100 rounds through it, and felt so comfortable. No bruises on the shoulder. No pain. Just busted clays and big smiles. I couldn't wait to make this my next purchase.

After calling around and checking prices, I found an excellent local dealer that beat out everyone - not only in price, but also in customer service. They were beating some shops by nearly $200! Now I'm in the dang California-mandated hock for 10 days.

I can't wait for pheasant season, but in the meantime, I'll be enjoying some clay action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Sweet! I'm still in the poorman pump phase of shotgunin'. Benelli make a fine product. My buddy has a Nova, and really dig shooting that gun. Thinkin' about picking up a SuperNova.

06-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Sweet! I'm still in the poorman pump phase of shotgunin'. Benelli make a fine product. My buddy has a Nova, and really dig shooting that gun. Thinkin' about picking up a SuperNova.

Thanks! I have a 16 gauge Ithaca S+S that was left to me by my grandfather - and a Mossberg 500 tactical. Both great shotguns, but I will tell you there's nothing like this new Benelli auto-loader. I just shake my head in amazement!

I checked out the Super Black Eagle II, but to be honest, I don't think I'll ever have need for a 3 1/2 inch shell, and couldn't justify the extra cost.

06-09-2012, 1:18 PM
congratulations on your M2.

06-09-2012, 1:55 PM
M2 is an excellent shotgun. It's just what your comfortable with. I have a 26" M2 field that has seen many rounds. The nice thing about the inerta operation is it hardly needs to be cleaned. I just oil mine periodically, and clean it every few thousand rounds.

.300 Weatherby Mag
06-09-2012, 7:09 PM
Congrats on your M2 purchase...

I was doing about the same thing you were... Comparing the Benelli and Beretta offerings... I came the the conclusion that I need an A400 Unico and Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge... I shot all three A400s they had there... I hated the A400 Excel..

06-10-2012, 7:24 AM
Thanks everyone, for the comments. I'll post up some more thoughts as I continue into clay season, and head towards bird season.

Hope to see some of you Southern California folks out at the local clay ranges.