PDA

View Full Version : What is a good barrel and a bad barrel

ohnozombeez
06-09-2012, 8:01 AM
Looking into building a new upper for one of my rifles. I know its like AR 101 again, but if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

S470FM
06-09-2012, 8:20 AM
are you looking for DI or piston? what length? purpose?

ohnozombeez
06-09-2012, 2:24 PM
DI....just a general question. It would be for range time, but would like it for a SPR. Long distance shots would be cool.

NiteQwill
06-09-2012, 2:35 PM
Are you asking what barrel should you get? Or what makes one "good or bad?"

If you're looking for supreme accuracy and handloading your own rounds, then look no further than White Oak Armament, Wilson, or Krieger barrels.

WOA has the shortest wait time at around 16 weeks. Keep in mind, WOA makes barrels that win championships and are well known around high power shooters.

WETP
06-09-2012, 3:15 PM
IMO, if you are locking for great accuracy Noveske are the best. If yor are looking for a good reliable barrel with great value and still good accuracy Daniel Defense.

ohnozombeez
06-09-2012, 6:50 PM
Are you asking what barrel should you get? Or what makes one "good or bad?"

If you're looking for supreme accuracy and handloading your own rounds, then look no further than White Oak Armament, Wilson, or Krieger barrels.

WOA has the shortest wait time at around 16 weeks. Keep in mind, WOA makes barrels that win championships and are well known around high power shooters.

Im asking in general. I do know a regular guy like me and was interested in building an AR15, would see what would be decent, what looks good and pricewise. Along the research of building a rifle, you here someone say, dont get that barrel get this barrel. But what does it make a barrel good vs. bad?

NiteQwill
06-09-2012, 7:51 PM
Im asking in general. I do know a regular guy like me and was interested in building an AR15, would see what would be decent, what looks good and pricewise. Along the research of building a rifle, you here someone say, dont get that barrel get this barrel. But what does it make a barrel good vs. bad?

Steel material, lathe process, tolerances for headspace, etc...

You will probably not find a better barrel than the ones listed above in my last post.

If you're looking for plinking, any ol' barrel will do. But since you mentioned building an SPR, I say spend the $$$ and get something that will make you smile up to 800 yards (or more).

sonnyt650
06-10-2012, 9:44 AM
I do know a regular guy like me and was interested in building an AR15, would see what would be decent, what looks good and pricewise.

If you get a no-name $150 M4-profile you likely will not keep up with the guys shooting sub-2MOA groups or less at your local range. If you get chrome-lined steel versus stainless or plain steel you're not likely to get sub-1.5MOA or less even if you go through the process of sorting out ammo. That's still a fantastic shooting rifle for other uses, just realize you're gambling since a random barrel might not shoot even 3MOA with the bullets you intend for it. If a high-end barrel can't shoot sub-2MOA the barrel maker's reputation is on the line and you have options for getting that fixed, with Joe's bargain upper w/ unmarked barrel you're kind of stuck.

For specifics I bought a Rainier Arms Select 16" mid-gas stainless heavy that shoots very well considering its < $200 price. I don't know how well because that one doesn't have any magnification but with my old eyes and 2MOA red dot at 50 yards I can shoot sub-1" groups. I have a Bushmaster 16" carbine-gas heavy that's chrome-lined, loves 52gr BTHP which I regularly sneak under 1.5" groups at 100. Finally I have a 24" rifle-gas stainless bull profile from Model 1 (think they use ER Shaw) that can shoot Widener's 75gr BTHP somewhere smaller than 0.75" with the regular flier -- pretty sure with match bullets those fliers will go away. For that rifle I'm at fault when I miss the little 1" pasters that I put on targets, barrel is definitely capable of it.