PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Replicas.. Any good?

shawnyteee
05-15-2007, 8:17 PM
http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productlist.php?typeId=1

http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productview.php?productId=15

Any good?

Always wanted a Remington 700 to shoot with at around 300-700 yds, but I would never be able to afford a 1k-1.6k scope. Will these replica apply the necessity for my Remington 700? Kinda sketchy seeing you do get what you pay for.

Any info on these?

Thanks

Jicko
05-15-2007, 8:26 PM
Man, you've got a great rifle..... Rem700 is a great rifle... why go with a "replica" scope that is meant for Airsoft??

If you can't afford a $1500 scope, that's understandable.... but you don't need to spend that much to get a good optic for your rifle...

You can go with a SS @ $299 (SuperSniper 10x) Riflescops.com (http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx); even tho I wasn't a big fan of it... but there are great reviews and you get mil-dots and target knobs (all the tactical features)!

I am a big fan for Leupolds, even their lower cost ones have MUCH better glass than those "replicas".... the new Leupold Tactical Mark 2 3-9x40mm (http://www.swfa.com/pc-8562-971-new-leupold-3-9x40-mark-2-riflescope.aspx); you can pay $4xx to get their new Mark 2 line, 3-9x.... for 300-600yds or meters.... that would be enough...

JOEKILLA
05-15-2007, 8:33 PM
http://1337tactical.com/shop/newsview.php?infoId=4

Enjoy

shawnyteee
05-15-2007, 8:37 PM
o sorry I must have spoken like Ive the rifle. I was just thinking if they were good but when I saw Airsoft... I wouldn't really trust that with a rifle, but the SS likes pretty nice and bang for the price.

hybridatsun350
05-15-2007, 8:39 PM
I would suggest a lower end Leupold. I've got a Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10x40 (came on my M-700p LTR TWS) and I love it to death. My scope may be a little higher end than what you are looking for, but I still feel that one of the lower end Leupold's is going to be better than any of those replicas. :)

bwiese
05-15-2007, 8:40 PM
Why do you wanna buy cheap Red chinese crap for a good rifle, and give money to the Red chinese gov't - and violate Leupold's trade dress/copyrights??

Aside from the moral issues involved in helping defraud Leupold, you'd be better off selling your gun and getting a cheaper Savage and using the $$ to put a better scope on it.

Most noobs suffer from "too good a gun, not good enough of a scope" syndrome.

Crap scopes don't hold zero when bumped, elevation adjustments change windage adjustments or vice versa, or magnification adjustment changes point of zero. These are all signs of crap.

Worst part of it is, sometimes such scopes work for awhile and you think you actually have a valid item.

There are good scopes out there for reasonable prices. Burris Fullfield II and Signature scopes are quite good. IOR Valdadas are very, very good (though not that cheap). And Leupold has entries at various price points, or you might find a deal on a used Leupy in good condition.

Your gun is only as accurate - aside from you - as those crosshairs stay zeroed.

Jicko
05-15-2007, 8:42 PM
Some people tends to deny(fail to admit) that those "replicas" are for Airsofts.... but imho, i don't see 1337tactical stuff on arfcom... but i see them everywhere on airsoft forums.... (eg. http://www.ascforums.com/showthread.php?t=34432)

So, again, imho, I would stay away from them. I would save up, and get good optics, the Leupold Mark 2 or the SS.

maxicon
05-15-2007, 11:37 PM
but imho, i don't see 1337tactical stuff on arfcom...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=318369

9 pages - read the user comments...

FatKatMatt
05-15-2007, 11:48 PM
I would stay away from any cheap knockoff

Mute
05-16-2007, 8:44 AM
Do not give your money to people who make a living ripping off other people's design's and hard work.

ghostwong
05-16-2007, 9:09 AM
+1 to that, but that is what the commies do . . .:D

Do not give your money to people who make a living ripping off other people's design's and hard work.

shawnyteee
05-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Well... sorry to bring up a hateful topic, but I've never plan on getting them.

Just wondering the quality of these replicas because I've notice a lot of Leupolds being sold and I wouldn't want to get scam with a replica when I do get my 700.

Even if it didn't say it was replica, a made in China scope with a illuminating reticle and wind dial for 100 -200 would seem just dumb and really unbelievable.

proraptor
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Member PRC329 on here had one of these scopes on his AR15 and seemed to like it...I have the aimpoint clone from 1337 tactical on my AR15 and its works pretty dang good for $67...It holds zero just fine with about 500 rounds shot with it on there...The only thing that sucks about it is the red dot gets washed out in really bright light...But it works fine for me....$67 well spent IMO...

Why did I buy it? Cause real EOtechs and Aimpoints are a total ripoff for what they are....A glorified red dot with no magnification....All the people that talk trash on the clones should complain about the price of these glorified red dots and maybe the price will come down to reasonable.....

EricCartmann
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
don't let these guys talk you out of getting an affordable scope so you can enjoy your hobby.

nothing wrong with buying an enxpensive scope for your hobby.

anyways back to the 1337 Leupold replicas... they are good scopes. I got to shoot one and it held zero just fine. Those scope rings from 1337 tactical are pretty good too! I have used a $150 chinese FM scope on and a $1100 Leupold on my M14.. the Leupold is not 10 times better, at most it is 2 times better.
I myself think the expensive scopes are not worth it, but hey this is a hobby to me and I like designer ****, and because I like designer ****, is why I own Leupolds and ACOGs.

Clodbuster
05-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Some of the newer Leupold optics are being made in China.

Clod

Why do you wanna buy cheap Red chinese crap for a good rifle, and give money to the Red chinese gov't - and violate Leupold's trade dress/copyrights??

Aside from the moral issues involved in helping defraud Leupold, you'd be better off selling your gun and getting a cheaper Savage and using the $$ to put a better scope on it.

Most noobs suffer from "too good a gun, not good enough of a scope" syndrome.

Crap scopes don't hold zero when bumped, elevation adjustments change windage adjustments or vice versa, or magnification adjustment changes point of zero. These are all signs of crap.

Worst part of it is, sometimes such scopes work for awhile and you think you actually have a valid item.

There are good scopes out there for reasonable prices. Burris Fullfield II and Signature scopes are quite good. IOR Valdadas are very, very good (though not that cheap). And Leupold has entries at various price points, or you might find a deal on a used Leupy in good condition.

Your gun is only as accurate - aside from you - as those crosshairs stay zeroed.

Clodbuster
05-17-2007, 1:08 PM
I have a couple of the sub $200 chinese Tascos with the red/green illuminated recticles, and military turrents, and they do work quite well.
Only tried mounting it on a .223, but they keep their zero quite well, and the elevation and windage adjustments have very positive clicks.
Acutally want to test them out on my .308 700PSS, but too much of a hassle to rip off the B&L 4200 that's been on it for over 10 years.

Not only do they look cool externally, but the cluttered reticle looks straight from some Hollywood sniper film. There are some newer tactical chinese scopes with even more stuff on the recticle that I would like pick up. Just waiting for the model with the blinking active IR or distance meter :D
Bad thing is that the scopes do not come with instructions on what all that stuff on the recticle actually do or how to use them.

Clod

Even if it didn't say it was replica, a made in China scope with a illuminating reticle and wind dial for 100 -200 would seem just dumb and really unbelievable.

maxicon
05-17-2007, 1:37 PM
Well... sorry to bring up a hateful topic, but I've never plan on getting them.

The key here is to gather data and make your own decision. It's good to get consensus from other people, but make sure you know if they have actual experience with what you're asking or are repeating stuff they've heard.

Just wondering the quality of these replicas because I've notice a lot of Leupolds being sold and I wouldn't want to get scam with a replica when I do get my 700.

There are definitely problems with ripoffs with gear that appears identical to name-brand stuff, including the names. The 1337tactical gear doesn't have logos on it; the Leupold and Aimpoint clones don't say Leupold or Aimpoint anywhere. There are people making clones that do have the logos, so it's good to be careful.

As to how much of a clone it is, nobody's stated that as far as I've heard. That is, a look-alike, where the external appearance is similar, is different from an exact clone, where the complete design is copied. Heck, even Bushnell makes a scope that looks like an ACOG, but it's not a clone, just a look-alike. Nobody gets all worked up about that one.

There are tradeoffs, like with anything you buy. For instance, Mueller makes some very good inexpensive scopes with lots of features, but the optics aren't as good as simpler scopes with fewer features and better glass. They also make scopes with better optics for more money. It's getting the whole package that adds up - features, sturdiness, reliability, repeatability, quality optics, and precision.

It's definitely possible to get a subset of those for a reasonable price, and the Chinese are capable of making gear just as good as Leupold or LaRue. It'll cost more than their bottom end stuff, just like it does in America.

The problem is finding out which is which, and that's where you need to get feedback from people who actually have used it. For example, the 1337tactical aimpoint replica gets very good reviews from the majority of users.

I have one of the Leupold clones, bought used here, but haven't had a chance to test it yet, so I can't offer an opinion on it that would be fact based.

In optics, data is king.

Prc329
05-17-2007, 2:00 PM
I owned one and really liked it. It was a good scope to hold me over till I could afford the scop I really wanted. Go with the illuminated one. Reviews I have read saw it is much better.

Also 1337 never tries to say his products are real. He makes it very clear they are clones.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-17-2007, 2:39 PM
isnt it just a copy of the outside looks? internally different?

bwiese
05-17-2007, 5:05 PM
Some of the newer Leupold optics are being made in China.

Just their bottom-end $175 ones - I think 'Rifleman' only, and not VXI.

At that level you're far bettah off with the Burris Fullfield II scopes.

schmud0811
05-19-2007, 5:21 PM
buy a used leupold, i just picked up one with a premier reticle conversion for 620 shipped. Buy a used pr series, a tasco....look at the sample list on swfa.com for some decient deals. Plus this is the time to buy because everyone seems to have got raped on taxes this year.

Whitesmoke
05-19-2007, 6:04 PM
Just their bottom-end $175 ones - I think 'Rifleman' only, and not VXI.

At that level you're far bettah off with the Burris Fullfield II scopes.

exactly...if these clones were quality...they wouldn't have to clone a leupold to sell their scopes. and I had one of the 1330 aimpoint clones....it was junk...and so was the mount.

EricCartmann
05-19-2007, 6:59 PM
Burris and Tasco are good scopes for the money. I have said it many times before and I will say it again. The top of the line Leupolds (@ $1200) are only slightly better than the $150 Tasco's.

bwiese
05-19-2007, 7:43 PM
and I will say it again. The top of the line Leupolds (@ $1200) are only slightly better than the $150 Tasco's.

Bullpucky.

Traschos are well-known not to keep zero after repeated adjustments or jingle-janging in a rifle case.

Leupys don't have those issues.

Scopes have two general areas of quality - optic quality (transmittivity, chromatic aberration, edge distortion) and mechanical quality (return to zero, zero not changing w/magnification changing, resistance to shocks, watertight ability, how long springs last, etc.).

While some of the junk scopes optic quality are not horrid, their cheap chinese innards are driftomatics.

You get what you pay for.

I've been thru 4 Seikos, they don't hold up like a Rolex.

Jeffrock
05-19-2007, 7:49 PM
I do not know the first thing about rifle scopes, but I do know that I probably would not buy something from a company called 1337tactical. :ack2:

Quick question: My friends often rave about Nikon scopes. What's the deal? They seem reasonably priced....

EricCartmann
05-19-2007, 8:03 PM
Bullpucky.

Traschos are well-known not to keep zero after repeated adjustments or jingle-janging in a rifle case.

Leupys don't have those issues.

Scopes have two general areas of quality - optic quality (transmittivity, chromatic aberration, edge distortion) and mechanical quality (return to zero, zero not changing w/magnification changing, resistance to shocks, watertight ability, how long springs last, etc.).

While some of the junk scopes optic quality are not horrid, their cheap chinese innards are driftomatics.

I've been thru 4 Seikos, they don't hold up like a Rolex.

I am telling you my personal experience. If you believe you have to spend $1200 to get a working optic than that is your perogative. I have had $150 FM's and Tasco's that hold zero just fine. But I too like the designer stuff and own some =)

My Leupold Mark4 3.5-10x illuminated TMR
http://images21.fotki.com/v758/photos/9/932051/4822193/ECmk14-vi.jpg

http://images21.fotki.com/v850/photos/9/932051/4822193/prone-vi.jpg

My ACOG TA01NSN
http://images24.fotki.com/v801/photos/9/932051/4850997/M4decked-vi.jpg

And my champion of champion, $150 FM that holds zero just fine and works almost as good as my $1100 Leupold =)
http://images112.fotki.com/v580/photos/9/932051/3667533/downrange-vi.jpg

EricCartmann
05-19-2007, 8:09 PM
Bullpucky.

Most of the time you get what you pay for but that is not always the case.

$400 Polytech M14 receivers are sought after and guys will even spend another $2000 building around it? Polytechs are USGI spec'd reciever you can get nowadays. Springfield M1A's at $1500 is not even close to spec.

Flux Capacitor
05-19-2007, 9:49 PM
Most of the time you get what you pay for but that is not always the case.

$400 Polytech M14 receivers are sought after and guys will even spend another $2000 building around it? Polytechs are USGI spec'd reciever you can get nowadays. Springfield M1A's at $1500 is not even close to spec.

WHere do they sell $400 polytech receivers? Thanks

EricCartmann
05-19-2007, 9:54 PM
WHere do they sell $400 polytech receivers? Thanks

Canada.. not just a reciver but whole rifles! Ofcourse we can't get them because of the ban, but we can still get chinese scopes.

Super Snipers are made by Tasco.

Whitesmoke
05-20-2007, 8:03 AM
Canada.. not just a reciver but whole rifles! Ofcourse we can't get them because of the ban, but we can still get chinese scopes.

Super Snipers are made by Tasco.

As I recently learned from another board member....supersnipers are by SWFA now...not Tasco.

Hoop
05-20-2007, 9:53 AM
I have had $150 FM's and Tasco's that hold zero just fine. But I too like the designer stuff and own some =)

Leupold's are worth it. The deer rifle I had several years ago was a tack driver with a used, 4x Leupold and was absolutely horrible with a 6x bushnell. If you want real accuracy & dependability you have to pay for it.

The other side of the coin is that if you're scoping a semi, there is probably going to be a lot more margin for error as a semi has less recoil & are generally less accurate than a bolt action.

Basically, I'd say if you are REALLY concerned with accuracy then you need to spend the bucks, but otherwise you can generally get away with less. My deer rifle (243) didn't make 1" groups at 100yds anymore, but it still hit soda cans just fine. It's all about what kind of accuracy you need vs. what you are willing to pay.

EricCartmann
05-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Leupold's are worth it. The deer rifle I had several years ago was a tack driver with a used, 4x Leupold and was absolutely horrible with a 6x bushnell. If you want real accuracy & dependability you have to pay for it.

The other side of the coin is that if you're scoping a semi, there is probably going to be a lot more margin for error as a semi has less recoil & are generally less accurate than a bolt action.

Basically, I'd say if you are REALLY concerned with accuracy then you need to spend the bucks, but otherwise you can generally get away with less. My deer rifle (243) didn't make 1" groups at 100yds anymore, but it still hit soda cans just fine. It's all about what kind of accuracy you need vs. what you are willing to pay.

I don't own any bolt actions except for a Springfield M1903 (but it's not scoped) so I can't speak for the accuracy, but for all my Semi's, I find my $150 just as accurate as my $1100 Leupold.

As for dependibilty, when the SHTF and your Leupold breaks, are you going to send it back for warrany work? I can own 8 Tasco's for the price of one Leupold.

I am knocking the high end scopes, they do collect more light, and lens is more crystal clear, But for that extra 30% (.30) in quality you pay 7.0 times the price!

But hey I like designer jeans too! Thats why I own name brand stuff such as Leupolds and ACOGs. People will preach and preach to me how much Levi's stitching are so much better than my $15 Sam's Club jeans, but at the end of the day they rip the same.

maxicon
05-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Hasn't anybody ever been unhappy with something expensive that wasn't as good as it should be? You don't always get what you pay for!

In scopes, you get better quality for more money, in general, but that doesn't mean every $800 scope is better than every $400 scope. There's a certain level you can't go below with a reasonable expectation of good quality (currently around $150-200 or so, for optical quality).

After that, it's a tradeoff between features, quality, and price. Is an ACOG TA11 that much better than an Eotech, which costs half as much? Both of them have a good reputation for quality.

Sure, there are lots of cheap, junky Tascos out there, but there are also good ones - the original SS was, after all, made by Tasco (yes, I know they're not any more, but they were). I have a Tasco that came on a Marlin 94, and while it's dimmer than my Leupolds, it's reliable, and is probably 15 years old with quite a few rounds under it. There are lots of Tascos that go into the trash when they shake loose, too.

Likewise, comparing a good Leupold to a bad Bushnell doesn't mean there aren't good Bushnells, only that some of them are bad. Scope snobs hate the cheap Leupolds too, since they're not as good as a Nightforce or whatever - it's standard internet holy war material.

Now, with many expensive scopes, you get a level of assurance you don't get with cheap ones. They have good reputations, and some of them (like Leupold) have excellent support and warranties, and people pay more for that.

All scopes break. Anything mechanical can fail. Does it make more sense to buy one $800 scope that will be repaired for free (but you won't have it while it's in the shop), or two $400/ four $200 scopes/whatever so you'll always have one ready to go if one fails? Only the user can answer that question, and there are good arguments each way.

You need to either get other people's first-hand experiences, or get them yourself. If you find a lot of people who use something and are happy with it, it improves your odds of not making a mistake.

Not many reports on these Leupold clones yet, so they're a gamble. I'm testing one, and it's not looking too great so far (no surprise there), but I'm not done yet.

Josh
05-20-2007, 1:29 PM
anyone here with a clone scope know how well they track?

How often do you adjust for windage and distance using the turrets, not just zeroing at x yards and leaving it.

Are the adjustments true to the markings as in, is each click really 1/2 moa?

Also is the reticle accurate in scale or at least consistent?

maxicon
05-20-2007, 5:18 PM
As I said, I've been doing a bit of testing on one, but it's not done, and I haven't fired any ammo under it yet, just run some QA, eye relief, and resolution/tracking tests. This data is pretty preliminary.

The one I've got tracks well, and is pretty well calibrated in terms of 1/4 MOA clicks. Don't know whether they'll hold under recoil, of course. Parallax isn't too good - on short range tests, it moves a lot with head motion.

Assembly/mechanical quality is mediocre, so far. It's not an $800 Leupold...

ocabj
05-20-2007, 5:30 PM
Always wanted a Remington 700 to shoot with at around 300-700 yds, but I would never be able to afford a 1k-1.6k scope. Will these replica apply the necessity for my Remington 700? Kinda sketchy seeing you do get what you pay for.

You don't need to spend $1000 on a scope to shoot 300-700 yards. The Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x mildot is under $200 shipped and will work out to 1000 yards.

The SWFA Super Sniper is $300 and will do the same as the Bushnell.

You are far better off with the Bushnell 3200 Elite than any replica scope.

If you can't hold the 10-ring with either the Bushnell or SWFA on a known good rifle with known good ammo, it's you, not the scope.