PDA

View Full Version : Bring RRA LAR-15 to California for vacation: legal?

Moto_Joe
06-08-2012, 7:48 AM
Hi all,

First off, I'm pretty sure this has been answered and tried searching for about 20 minutes and couldn't find anything. Also, Mods: sorry if this is the wrong forum. I recently purchased a Rock River Arms LAR-15 in Texas and am going to be visiting family/ friends in California for about 2 weeks in July. I know the basics as far as it being legal in CA: if I decide 100% to bring it, I'll be purchasing a bullet button and installing it and only bringing a couple 10 rd mags. The rifle has a standard A-2 muzzle break and a telescoping stock- I'm fairly certain that as long as I meet the guideline above, the rifle would be CA legal and I shouldn't face any issues from a legal standpoint (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here) EDIT to add: Barrel length 20"

My main question is that I'll be flying into and out of Sac Intl. on South West airlines. I'm certain I won't face any issues with security screening in TX- I've read up on and understand the requirements necessary to check a gun when flying- but after having read some horror stories over the years about security screeners contacting local LE when there's any hint of an issue with a firearm, I was curious if there's anyone out there that has had any experience flying into CA (and hopefully Sac Intl) with an AR or other "evil black rifle?"

For those that may be thinking "not worth the trouble," shooting and guns in general are a big part of most everyone I know- I'd love to be able to show off a new tool and have some fun enjoying it with family/ friends.

Many thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a dupe.

xpbprox
06-08-2012, 7:52 AM
How long is your barrel and look at the calguns chart

Untamed1972
06-08-2012, 8:42 AM
Some model RRA ARs are banned by model#, LAR-15 does not appear to be one of them.

With a BB, 10rd mags and OAL of 30" or more (with a 20" barrel you should be good on OAL) with stock collapsed you should be GTG.

The TSA folks shouldn't really care other than making sure it's unloaded and in a locked case.

jamesob
06-08-2012, 1:03 PM
all rra 223 lowers are marked lar-15. for some genius reason they banned the upper model.

vincewarde
06-08-2012, 1:34 PM
Personally, I think anyone who does not live in our messed up state is probably smart to not bring anything even close to being banned by our wonderful and probably unconstitutional laws into CA. If it's hard to fight a traffic ticket from another state, think how hard it would be to fight a bogus "civil seizure" of a firearm, let alone criminal charges.

It should not be this way, but it is.