PDA

View Full Version : Need advice?

Exodus343
06-08-2012, 2:08 AM
Nevermind

live2suck
06-08-2012, 7:30 AM
I ran into the same problems when I was your age purchasing a lower in 2008 - there are three solutions I'm aware of:

1. Build your own from an 80% lower.
2. Have one of your parents buy it, then do a transfer.
3. Wait until you're 21.

I'm sorry the gun shop screwed the pooch on that one, you should see if they can work out some kind of deal for you if one of your parents comes back in with you.

Carnivore
06-08-2012, 7:45 AM
4th option if you know someone with a complete upper they wish to lone you for 10 days you can put that on the lower making it a rifle and then able to register to you as such. It isn't illegal for you to have a lower with out a top on it, it is only illegal for the DROS to be set at "other" on a fed level. Once it is out of "jail" you can give the upper back to the loner and then set up your rife as you please.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-08-2012, 8:13 AM
:TFH:I ran into the same problems when I was your age purchasing a lower in 2008 - there are three solutions I'm aware of:

1. Build your own from an 80% lower.
2. Have one of your parents buy it, then do a transfer.
3. Wait until you're 21.

I'm sorry the gun shop screwed the pooch on that one, you should see if they can work out some kind of deal for you if one of your parents comes back in with you.

1. OK
2. Straw :nono:
3. OK

Glock22Fan
06-08-2012, 8:51 AM
:TFH:

1. OK
2. Straw :nono:
3. OK

Not sure that a parent/child transfer is regarded as a straw purchase. People in the range 18 - 20 are often advised that the only way that they can own a handgun (which is legal) is to get a parent to buy it for them.

I've even read of parents buying the firearm for young police recruits.

How, if you are right, would an 18 - 20 year old ever get to own a handgun?

Exodus343
06-08-2012, 9:30 AM
Thank you for all the response, my second question is: should I just let DROS run it's course? I have passed dros before and as recent as April, but because I am under 21; am I going to fail? And what happens if I do fail DROS?

NotEnufGarage
06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Not sure that a parent/child transfer is regarded as a straw purchase. People in the range 18 - 20 are often advised that the only way that they can own a handgun (which is legal) is to get a parent to buy it for them.

I've even read of parents buying the firearm for young police recruits.

How, if you are right, would an 18 - 20 year old ever get to own a handgun?

The legal way for an 18 - 20 yr old to get a handgun is for a parent to GIVE it to them. Anything else is a straw purchase.