PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Clay Shooting?

dooodstevenn
06-08-2012, 1:03 AM
I want to go shoot some clay in a few weeks, and i have no clue how this stuff works, does anyone have a link or something for beginners? As of now, i have a few questions:

on a remington 870 express w/ 28in barrel, yes its a pump, i dont want to compete or anything i just want to shoot some single clays to practice waterfowl.

-what choke to use? what ive read has ranged from cylinder to improved modified chokes, and i just need to narrow something down, whats best for a beginner? am i correct assuming i would want something tighter since as a beginner i will take longer to get a sight picture and the target would be further away?

-what kind of patterns do you want?

-how does load size effect your pattern? what is best for a beginner?

KWalkerM
06-08-2012, 1:51 AM
Shot size 7 1/2, 8, or 9s. 9s are the smallest and you get more pellets so theoretically a wider spread. Choke modified for the 16 yard line and full for anything past 22 yards. For starters shoot with both eyes open it will help with target acquisition. Also you have plenty of time to hit the bird just dont let it start dropping or its tough to hit. Hold the gun about 2 feet above the top of the trap house. Just remeber shotguns are pointed and not aimed, cover the bird with the bead and pull the trigger.

As for range rules if its regulated trap houses you shoot 5 birds at each station then you move to the right. The person on the far left shoots first. The person who starts the round shoots first EVERY time when you move. Also try not to distract other people on the line.

Where are you shooting at?

dooodstevenn
06-08-2012, 3:32 AM
Shot size 7 1/2, 8, or 9s. 9s are the smallest and you get more pellets so theoretically a wider spread. Choke modified for the 16 yard line and full for anything past 22 yards. For starters shoot with both eyes open it will help with target acquisition. Also you have plenty of time to hit the bird just dont let it start dropping or its tough to hit. Hold the gun about 2 feet above the top of the trap house. Just remeber shotguns are pointed and not aimed, cover the bird with the bead and pull the trigger.

As for range rules if its regulated trap houses you shoot 5 birds at each station then you move to the right. The person on the far left shoots first. The person who starts the round shoots first EVERY time when you move. Also try not to distract other people on the line.

Where are you shooting at?

thanks for the info! I've had my eye on Raahauge's shooting for clays. Is the process the same there?

ysr_racer
06-08-2012, 6:16 AM
Stop by Raahauge's this weekend. It's the State Sporting Clays Championship.

We'll be shooting sporting clays, 5-stand, FITASC, pump-gun, sxs, and all the sub gauges.

You won't want to shoot, but it will show you what it's like.

p.s. go to walmart and buy a 100 round value pack of #8's, and an IC choke and you'll be fine.

crackerman
06-08-2012, 7:03 AM
I have shot lots of different clays sports from the "hunter who likes to practice" rather then the hard core competitor side and I think you would be best served by others depending on your experience.

If you have not shot moving targets before start with trap. Single target known presentations that will get you used to leads and where your gun shoots.

Once you are comfortable, (or if you already are from hunting) with that go to a sporting clays course with you hunting gun, with your chosen choke (I always shoot Mod in my duck gun) and the biggest shot size the the field will let you run. (Rahaguess is 7.5 if I am correct). With waterfowl we are shooting steel and the no3's I run have a lot less pellets than a #9 skeet load so just chipping a target with that 9 shot doesn't translate real well to mallards and honkers. (unless you are amazing like the guy I know who shoots snows with .410 since he calls them on top of him.)

Then just wander around rahaugees looking for targets that simulate approaches you would personally shoot at in the field. I like incoming and overheads but try to avoid low crossers since I refuge hunt and don't want to shoot across a pond into another blind. Also rahaugees has duck towers usually before the season starts.

Lastly go compete with your pump! I do (not well compared to the O/U and semi guys) at fun shoots when I have the time and money and its great practice to have some additional pressure. Trying to go fast enough to not piss off your squad mates, multiple targets with different presentations, delays or true pairs just like real birds act.

Remember all these clay junkies like ysr_racer really owe us hunters since these sports just derived from hunters who needed to practice more.;)

love ya racer!:p

epic1856
06-08-2012, 7:22 AM
I suggest you sign up for the Skeet Clinic here on Calguns. It will be the best $20 you'll spend for instruction. If you end up not liking skeet you'll at least find out if your shotgun fits you, how to mount it correctly, and you tried out skeet.

Thread to the clinic
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=329160

Hilldweller
06-08-2012, 7:41 AM
Didn't California ban the shooting of Clays because they were added to the endangered species list? :rolleyes:

Javi
06-08-2012, 7:42 AM
If you want some Youtube vids, try Clay coach:

Q66ZmmwB3Yo

mikey357
06-08-2012, 5:24 PM
Todd Bender clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWbj7_zpQM

Mongoblack23
06-08-2012, 6:08 PM
Didn't California ban the shooting of Clays because they were added to the endangered species list? :rolleyes:

only the white tops, the orange coated flying is still in season with the proper tax stamp:D

Thefeeder
06-08-2012, 8:27 PM
Put your IC (inproved Cylinder) choke in. Get any brand of shells that are target loads with 7 1/2 or 8 shot and have good time.

Don't worry about anything but hitting the target.

if your after a duck hunt tune up, get to a Sporting Clays course and shoot the stations with high incoming, high outgoing and high crossing targets.

Enjoy your time at the range

ExtremeX
06-08-2012, 8:51 PM
Todd Bender clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWbj7_zpQM

Cool video from the shooters perspective but geez I cant hear a word that dude is saying because of the music.

mikey357
06-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Cool video from the shooters perspective but geez I cant hear a word that dude is saying because of the music.

I hear you about the music. Here is a text to go along with the vid

http://www.ohioskeet.org/Misc/BenderCheatSheetLite.pdf

Captain Dick
06-10-2012, 6:30 PM
If you really, truly want to learn to shoot clays the correct way, right from the start, and not develope bad habits by trying to learn on your own, go to one of Coach Don Ziegler's clinics here in Socal. I see your in the local area, the sticky is at the top of this forum .

This will be the best $20.00 you can ever invest in your shooting career. I'll guarantee it.