PDA

View Full Version : IO Classic Sporter

desertmedic
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Picked up my rifle from my FFL the other day and wanted to give a brief review on it. First off... I was PLEASANTLY suprised. Ive read all sorts of hellacious stuff lately. But then Ive read that about Kimbers too and mine is a sweetheart of a pistol! Okay, so here goes nothing...

Out of the box - Nice looking rifle! Finish was very uniform. Wood was nice with a nice varnish and no dings or scratches. Stock had a very slight wobble. Tightened it up with a screwdriver and all is well.

Magazine - Tapco polymer 10 rounders were a bit loose. I had some Tapco Intrafuse 10/30's that fit nice and tight. Never experienced any kind of feeding problem today through 150 rounds.

Sights - The post didnt seem square in the hood but the thing was dead nuts accurate. I will soon be getting a mount and Kobra red dot. Why Kobra you ask? Cuz its a nice sight and I want to keep it looking "Russian."

Trigger - A little gritty at first but became pretty smoothe by the end of the 150 rounds. Also, didnt experience any trigger slap that some are writing about.

Reliability - Went bang every time I pulled the trigger and ejected well clear of the shooter as most AK style rifles do. As stated above... Not one failure to feed or go into battery.

So, all in all a great rifle. My niece and nephew wanted to go with me so I snapped a few pics. One of my niece lookin' down my AR... :62:

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/sq51ad/fe0ded2f.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/sq51ad/02daeb50.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/sq51ad/949eba31.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/sq51ad/c5a34b93.jpg

zfields
06-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Hope it turns out to be a good rifle in the long term. Just keep an eye out on the rivets.

Travis590A1
06-08-2012, 12:03 AM
You might be the only one with a decent I.O. lol. Just watch the rivets Closely and keep us posted.

nelly.hartley
06-08-2012, 12:29 AM
That is a nice Kalashnikov you got. Hope it gets smoother in future. :)

JeremyKX
06-08-2012, 12:59 AM
OT question. which EOtech is that?

durandal
06-08-2012, 2:51 AM
Detail strip it and inspect it.. you may find the front sight or gas block are not aligned..

desertmedic
06-08-2012, 6:41 AM
Will do Ruranfal...

Jeremy - its an XPS 2-0

And I will keep an eye on the rivets for sure

desertmedic
06-08-2012, 6:42 AM
Oh... And thanks for the kind words nelly!

desertmedic
06-08-2012, 9:17 AM
I meant to type durandal... Stinkin' iPhone!

RobGR
06-08-2012, 9:21 AM
Looks like you guys had fun. Good to see some pics after a post like this, usually it's all talk, no pics ;-)

What was the temperature out there? Desert has been warming up.

Keep us posted about the firearm and please to hear this isn't the same sob story we all keep reading about. Like you said, nothing but hell stories out there about IO.

CSACANNONEER
06-08-2012, 9:23 AM
Sounds like IO's QC screwed up and sent a working firearm out. I'd be very careful and keep inspecting it 150 rounds is only 2 drums worth of ammo. It's not really enough to form a good opinion but, it's a start. Glad you appear to have gotten lucky. I suggest buying a single lottery ticket tonight.

Mamluke
06-08-2012, 9:28 AM
Sounds like IO's QC screwed up and sent a working firearm out. I'd be very careful and keep inspecting it 150 rounds is only 2 drums worth of ammo. It's not really enough to form a good opinion but, it's a start. Glad you appear to have gotten lucky. I suggest buying a single lottery ticket tonight.

.......... :rofl2: ... lol

Congrats on the new rifle & GOOD LUCK

someR1
06-08-2012, 10:11 AM
People hate on the IOs....but hey, if it works fine for you....who cares ??

desertmedic
06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Ron - Temp was in the low 90's. This was in the Calico hills....

Yeah, like i said... So far so good.

Travis590A1
06-08-2012, 1:23 PM
Lol people hate on I.O. because they are crap 99.9% of everything that leaves their shop is crap. I owned 4 of there so called "ak" rifles and not one of them went past 100 rounds before it had serious malfunctions I.e. lost rivets, punchin primers, bolts coming off rails, and of couse a warped reciever. I wouldnt recommend I.O. products to my wost enemy.

desertmedic
06-08-2012, 2:41 PM
Travis, I'm curious... Did you buy any of the recent rifles? I've read that their QC has gotten much better lately then in the past.

S470FM
06-08-2012, 2:58 PM
I would recommend IO to MY worst enemy, because then they wouldn't be my worst enemy for very long.

Bonedeval
06-08-2012, 3:01 PM
700 + rounds through my Casar. No problems at all. I use to have a Norinco NHM-90 and that one did jam on ocassion.

Travis590A1
06-08-2012, 3:15 PM
Well this whole ordeal was from last november until this past may. The most recent rifle they sent was in may and according to their owner he hand picked it. The rivets were offset there was sawdust and sand in the action and the sights were canted. I have no faith in that company's abilitys. Obviously they have put out some decent rifles over the years but the good to bad rifle ratio is not in their favor. They have just a handful of actual gunsmiths and their qc manager aka their owner swears he inspects every single rifle they make yet according to his staff he there like 1 week out the the month. The company is a joke. I've had many conversations with Uli and he basically called me a liar saying loose rivets and a reciever coming apart from the trunnion is normal for aks. The owner is a thief and I hope he's reading this since he has an account on calguns. If you own an I.O. firearm that works all I can say is enjoy it while you can. Side note. They don't heat treat their metals properly which is why they add side scope mounts. Not to make the customer happy but just to re-enforce their cheaply heat treated recievers. Even their office staff talks crap on the owner. Even if they made top dollar aks I would never by from them the owner blamed me for the malfunctions then the ammo even tho i used litterally 10 different brands. Then he blamed the tapco mags sayin they are "crap magazines" even though they are the ones the company ships with their rifles. He blamed everyone and everything but his product. He cares nothing of his customers only his sales. If he cared about his customers then why would he send me a personal email stating there was nothing his company could do for me at this point.

Travis590A1
06-08-2012, 3:27 PM
700 + rounds through my Casar. No problems at all. I use to have a Norinco NHM-90 and that one did jam on ocassion.

Haha a mac 90 jams before an I.O??????? You sure you don't work for I.O.? Its funny because there were a few people on here who praise I.O. as having top dollar rifles bit after some research it turns out those people actually worked for I.O. and they were just talking thr rifles up to boost sales in cali lol. They are hustlers I'm telling you. Anytime I'm in a shop and someone picks up an I.O. I do my best to talk them out of it.

ZX-10R
06-08-2012, 3:39 PM
Lots of haters here...Good for you that you got a rifle that worked out. People said Colt quality was crap...My XSE is beautiful so right on brother.

desertmedic
06-08-2012, 3:40 PM
Well folks I can assure you I don't work for IO, am not their hype man, or are in no way affiliated with them. Hell, I've got the greatest job in the world and can't believe they pay me for it at times...

Travis590A1
06-08-2012, 3:43 PM
Just to be clear I'm not hating on the OP or his rifle if it works he's lucky. I'm just stating the hate I have for the company lol. fyi you cant compare colt to I.O. that's like comparing a lamborgini to a ford pinto. Lol

MrExel17
06-08-2012, 4:00 PM
OP congrats!

luchador768
06-08-2012, 4:01 PM
OP, how long have you worked for I.O.?

J/k, glad your rifle worked out.

desertmedic
06-08-2012, 4:09 PM
Trav, I know youre not hating on me... But can we hold hands and sing kumbiyaa?? :clap: No worries pal.....

tujungatoes
06-08-2012, 5:11 PM
Congrats on getting an IO that runs. Hopefully this is an indicator of them improving the product they put out.

On a side note. Next time you take your niece and nephew shooting....make them wear some goddamned safety glasses too!:mad: I've been hit in the head by ricochet fragments before and had a gun blow up in my face. This is serious sh*t you're playing with. Don't forget that....ok rant off. Sorry it's the RSO in me. Glad you guys had fun.:D

Travis590A1
06-08-2012, 5:38 PM
+1 on the glasses. Chief shoot-a-lot say "hot gas in face hurt real bad"

Striper 05
06-08-2012, 5:44 PM
Looks like you got a winner there!

Bonedeval
06-08-2012, 7:34 PM
Haha a mac 90 jams before an I.O??????? You sure you don't work for I.O.? Its funny because there were a few people on here who praise I.O. as having top dollar rifles bit after some research it turns out those people actually worked for I.O. and they were just talking thr rifles up to boost sales in cali lol. They are hustlers I'm telling you. Anytime I'm in a shop and someone picks up an I.O. I do my best to talk them out of it.

JUst telling my experiance. Nope dont work for I.O. . Live in California. And to be clear it was a NHM-90 not Mak-90. Bought it back in `95 sold it a few years later, huge mistake. And it only jammed on ocassion. And yes it was a better built rifle. Just saying my casar ak hasnt had any issues after 700 + rounds. I got a great rifle.

Travis590A1
06-08-2012, 9:09 PM
You must be the second person in cali with a working I.O. lol

arsilva32
06-08-2012, 10:24 PM
congrats on the AK friend, glad to hear you got a good one and didn't get burned like some of us did. AK's are a blast to shoot, have fun shooting it.the AR looks sweet as well.:)

desertmedic
06-09-2012, 7:47 AM
Thanks arsilva... Built that AR a few Summers ago. It did come out nice if I do say so myself!

NorCalK9.com
06-09-2012, 1:57 PM
That's it I'm going to buy a casar tomorrow lol.
I'm glad you got a good one, but please update this thread after a couple thousand rounds.

beretta929mm
06-09-2012, 4:22 PM
This seems to be a keeper. Check its review on Atlantic Arms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnqDk4OmvvA

RED VASQUEZ
06-09-2012, 5:03 PM
You might be the only one with a decent I.O. lol. Just watch the rivets Closely and keep us posted.

I think I got the other one, close to the 1000-rd mark without anything falling off/apart/etc.

Still I would not recommend this rifle to anyone who's serious about shooting.

Flouncer
06-09-2012, 5:17 PM
Safety First Eyewear. Take care and have fun !! :)

desertmedic
06-09-2012, 8:32 PM
Hey... Maybe they had ballistic contact lenses!! :whistling: