PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54r.net ???

tdyoung1958
06-07-2012, 7:13 PM
So I guess nobody is welcome there anymore, was a former registered member but found out this week that I'm no longer registered and admin doesn't seem to respond to email about it. Hell, I didn't even post anything there to piss em off

I'm sure I'm not the only one who found that sight a wealth of knowledge and am very disappointed with the apathetic attitude of the admin

mosinnagantm9130
06-07-2012, 7:16 PM
IIRC, if you aren't active for a certain period of time, the account gets deleted. I don't see how they plan to grow with the registration rules they have in place now, but maybe they don't want to grow. :shrug:

deoxys987
06-07-2012, 7:17 PM
So I guess nobody is welcome there anymore, was a former registered member but found out this week that I'm no longer registered and admin doesn't seem to respond to email about it. Hell, I didn't even post anything there to piss em off

I'm sure I'm not the only one who found that sight a wealth of knowledge and am very disappointed with the apathetic attitude of the admin

yeah they TRIED to ban me for asking questions about some of the refurb marks on my '43 Izzy ex sniper. BS. they were friendly at first but then went to hell after that. I don't get whats SO bad about asking about the history about my mosin. whatever :p

randver
06-07-2012, 7:51 PM
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ seams to be a friendly place and full of good knowledge

Peter.Steele
06-07-2012, 7:54 PM
yeah they TRIED to ban me for asking questions about some of the refurb marks on my '43 Izzy ex sniper. BS. they were friendly at first but then went to hell after that. I don't get whats SO bad about asking about the history about my mosin. whatever :p

Did you look at the VERY LARGE part of the website showing all the different known markings and what they mean before asking questions?

Bigtwin
06-07-2012, 7:57 PM
IIRC, if you aren't active for a certain period of time, the account gets deleted. :shrug:

Yup, this! I was a member for close to two years, when my frequenting the site lowered (like I have here lately....hey I have been busy), my account was deleted. So be it! Still great info on the site and so what if I can't post! I guess I did not post enough for them anyhow.

mosinnagantm9130
06-07-2012, 8:02 PM
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ seams to be a friendly place and full of good knowledge

I'm a member there, username Izhevsk762.

Dolk, the owner of the site, is also a calgunner.

It's pretty laid back there, but it is a purist site, so if you intend to bubbafy your rifle, don't ask. At least over there they probably won't ban you, but we will most certainly try to talk you out of it.:)

Rem222
06-07-2012, 8:18 PM

Another member here. They are very helpful, friendly and there's a lot of knowledge over there.

randver
06-07-2012, 8:41 PM
i go by randver on there too. but like here i tend to read alot and post a little

tdyoung1958
06-07-2012, 9:07 PM
I'm a member there, username Izhevsk762.

Dolk, the owner of the site, is also a calgunner.

It's pretty laid back there, but it is a purist site, so if you intend to bubbafy your rifle, don't ask. At least over there they probably won't ban you, but we will most certainly try to talk you out of it.:)

hell, my last post there was about un-bubbaing a "sporterized" 91/30 that I found for $49. Now it's a nice shooter that looks great except for the '03 front sight that had got put on it

23 Blast
06-07-2012, 9:42 PM
It's funny how certain websites acquire a certain "personality." I'm sure that's based a lot on the admin, and what types of posts they encourage and allow, and what sorts of posters gain alpha-dog status there.

For years (way back in the early days of the internet) I was a member of Tuco's Militaria website, which was focused on milsurps in general, but Mosins, especially Finnish Mosins, in particular. My attendance there started to fall off when it stopped being a laid-back, newbie-accommodating, friendly place and became kind of a purist site where they even sniffed derisively and looked down their noses as Big 5 purchases. Too bad. I don't know if it's like that now (or even if they're still operating), but I probably haven't visited that site in 5+ years.

deoxys987
06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Did you look at the VERY LARGE part of the website showing all the different known markings and what they mean before asking questions?

I did. a few markings were on the list and the rest were not, so I was curious about what the other markings were and they tried to ban me for being curious :confused:

mosinnagantm9130
06-07-2012, 10:38 PM
hell, my last post there was about un-bubbaing a "sporterized" 91/30 that I found for $49. Now it's a nice shooter that looks great except for the '03 front sight that had got put on it

Un-bubba'ing is always good. :thumbsup:

It's funny how certain websites acquire a certain "personality." I'm sure that's based a lot on the admin, and what types of posts they encourage and allow, and what sorts of posters gain alpha-dog status there.

For years (way back in the early days of the internet) I was a member of Tuco's Militaria website, which was focused on milsurps in general, but Mosins, especially Finnish Mosins, in particular. My attendance there started to fall off when it stopped being a laid-back, newbie-accommodating, friendly place and became kind of a purist site where they even sniffed derisively and looked down their noses as Big 5 purchases. Too bad. I don't know if it's like that now (or even if they're still operating), but I probably haven't visited that site in 5+ years.

If you are talking about gunboards, it's not like that now. Refurbs are talked about every day there. While a plain 43 Izhevsk 91/30 might not draw the same attention as a nice Finn, I don't think refurbs are looked down on at all.

Are Fearless Leader "Cold Blue Bob" Wheeler and the "Wheeleristas" - his mutual masturbation society of brown-nosing synchophant morons - no longer running that site and mixing insulting rudeness with bad information? :confused:

Bobw sold the site to dolk about a year ago now. The new forums at RMNF went up last august.

As for the "wheeleristas", I joined there originally in 08, that must've been before my time.

cruddymutt
06-07-2012, 10:43 PM
I have not been banned from 7.62x54r.net, yet. I am curious, can you at least read forum post or are you banned from the entire forum? I dont like posting there. Seems everything I say is wrong. I am definatly not in the "click".

TRAP55
06-07-2012, 11:00 PM
"Lurk" on a forum with a 0 post count for long, and you'll likely have your account "purged". I do it on Mauser Central on a regular basis to keep the hardcore email servers from gleaning member email addresses. Unless the user's IP is a known chronic spammer or email server, legitimate users can open a new account.
Keeping spammers off a forum is a lot of work, even with all the counter measures available. Kudos to the CalGun staff for doing an excellent job here!

Fishslayer
06-08-2012, 7:29 AM
I haven't visited gunboards for quite awhile, cleared my cookies awhile back & had no problem logging in last night.

Eljay
06-08-2012, 8:38 AM

Tremendous resource and nice folks there. Definitely recommend it.

DennisCA
06-08-2012, 9:34 AM
I did. a few markings were on the list and the rest were not, so I was curious about what the other markings were and they tried to ban me for being curious :confused:

I had friend that had a mosin with some odd markings, so I posted it to see if any could tell me. Boy did I catch hell for that; they said it was a "non-mosin topic"! Haven't posted anything since, it's decent source of information but (IMHO) CALGUNS - Curio & Relic/Black Powder is a much freindly-er site!:43:

daveinwoodland
06-08-2012, 9:46 AM
Same here, I found the site to be:

1. Full of great information.
2. Full of zero tolerance for the most part.

Due to number two I stopped going there quickly. That's the beauty of trying a site before you decide to help support it by your dollars.

Dolk
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Are Fearless Leader "Cold Blue Bob" Wheeler and the "Wheeleristas" - his mutual masturbation society of brown-nosing synchophant morons - no longer running that site and mixing insulting rudeness with bad information? :confused:

Ouch! :(

He is gone a long time now. I didn't buy the forums form BobW, You will notice we are at

www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com (new site)
www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/forum (BobW's old site)

We sort of left him behind! .......I'll leave it at that. ;)

Later he gave us the old URL, not sure why, but......what the heck.

-----------------------------------------

We are a "preservation forum" but without all the heavy handedness. We really don't have an issue with other forums that want to alter rifles, we just prefer them not on the forums (too many arguments). We even have a section for sportstered military surplus rifles and another one for restoration.
We love new Mosin owners even with their "Big 5" Mosin (as someone here put it). We really could care less if it is a refurb or not. All are welcome.

I read and enjoy many forums, I just follow the rule for each one as I log on.

Their house, their rules. And really, we have enough problem fighting with the Anti's gunners out there, so why fight with a fellow gunner?

Anyway, CALGUNS is my favorite (after mine! ;) )

Dolk

Josh Smith
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Hello,

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/

Ditto on the membership, here. I go there to ask historical questions. Sometimes I slip and make a post that goes away. It's never intentional.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/

This is a very good place and not as strict.

http://www.milsurps.com/

Not as active, still an awesome board.

http://gew88.com/gew_88_forum/

Mostly for the Gewehr 88, predecessor to the Gewehr 98. Nice board, and I enjoy it.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums

Fairly fun place.

http://www.socamo.com/

The founder is here at CG.

http://www.soviet-steel.com/

Fun board, not as active as it could be, younger members I think.

Of course I believe everyone knows about gunboards.com .

Josh

mosinnagantm9130
06-08-2012, 1:03 PM
Ouch! :(

He is gone a long time now. I didn't buy the forums form BobW, You will notice we are at

www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com (new site)
www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/forum (BobW's old site)

We sort of left him behind! .......I'll leave it at that. ;)

Later he gave us the old URL, not sure why, but......what the heck.

Huh, I could've sworn you bought them from bobw. My mistake :facepalm:

Mustang
06-08-2012, 1:54 PM
We are a "preservation forum" but without all the heavy handedness.
Dolk

Do you allow posts about shooting Mosins?

There is great information available at 7.62x54R.net, but my last post there was moved to the non-collecting forum and locked because, in the words of the administrator..."Shooting is off topic."

I didn't wish to quibble, but found it odd, given the amount of space that they devote to 7.62 x 54R ammunition on their reference site.

mosinnagantm9130
06-08-2012, 1:57 PM
Do you allow posts about shooting Mosins?

Yes, RMNF is a mix of both shooting and collecting topics. It's primarily a mosin forum, but virtually any gun can be talked about there. We've got sub-forums for commercial rifles and shotguns, handguns, an SKS forum, a blackpowder forum, and several more forums.

What I like best about RMNF is the general laid back attitude we have there.

Dolk
06-08-2012, 4:24 PM
We have a lot of stuff on the forums! You can even go there and post a joke or BS on the off topic forum. We also have a pretty good following of SKS guys now. Some very knowledgeable guy with the SKS :cool:

Over all, the forums are laid back.

No, I didn't buy the forums. He threaten to close the forums (as he did every year). Then he wanted $1,500 for them (yeah, right). So we just moved. All the Moderators moved over and we setup the next day. I talked to him on the phone (interesting guy :rolleyes:) and he "gave us" the old URL, so we took it. But no, I didn't pay a penny for the forums as run down as he had them. They were really a mess. We just pumped some new life into them.

This is about the time 7.62 decided that taking about refurb's was not allowed, so we took all the New Mosin owners in and helped them along. We now sign up over 100 new Mosin owners every month. It is our way we pay back the people that helped us along years ago when we started.

I like coming here also. I don't get my head bashed in like we do on some forums,............ just for being a Californian.

Dolk

randver
06-08-2012, 4:40 PM
all this talk of mosin's has me thinking a mosin nagant only grp shoot would be real cool and fun.

tdyoung1958
06-08-2012, 7:19 PM
we have enough problem fighting with the Anti's gunners out there, so why fight with a fellow gunner?

Dolk

I agree and just signed up