PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my Colt upgrades!!!!!

devilchien0105
06-07-2012, 4:58 PM
Hi guys! Recently my dad gave me a Colt carbine (6920) as a graduation present instead of a car (which I really need for my part-time job). But me and him had been interested in guns for a while now, so I guess I am oki with his present. But I want to upgrade a little bit for my baby, and I just want to ask for you guys opinions on this matter.

Here is the list for the upgrade:

Magpul ACS stock
Magpul MOE handguard, MIAD grip
Magpul AFG grip, MBUS rear sight only, M.A.D lever
Surefire light LED+mount

That's what I got so far because Magpul really fits with my budget right now!!!!

Now comes to the most difficult things for me to decide, which are the muzzle breaks and the optics. I know these things are really expensive, but I would consider buying them in the future. Please bear with me on this, but I would really appreciate your opinions on this!!!

For the muzzle breaks: Surefire MB556K or the JP Enterprise??

For the optics: EoTech or Trijcon???

Thank you very much.

Devil

Silverlake223
06-07-2012, 5:00 PM
I have the Eotech 512 and love it!

devilchien0105
06-07-2012, 5:09 PM
I really appreciate for your reply. I also heard many good reviews for Eotech, but there are so many types of them and I really don't know which one fits me. Also when I talk to people about Eotech, they always tell me to get the magnifier (*2, *3 something). Because Eotech would be useless without the magnifier!!! I just want to make sure that I don't have to spend another $400 after I bought the optics =.=

LAL6
06-07-2012, 5:16 PM
Congrats!
Do you really need a light? If it was me, I would hold off on the surefire light, and the optic and save that money towards the car. If you're just learning to shoot, get used to shooting with your MBUS for a while before putting an optic on there. It will make you a better shooter.

G60
06-07-2012, 5:30 PM
I would buy a sling, red dot and ammo before any of that other stuff.
Maybe a BCM gun fighter grip too, ditched my MIAD for one and couldn't be happier.

G60
06-07-2012, 5:37 PM
Also, whoever's telling you an eotech or other red dot sight is worthless without a magnifier, don't ever listen to anything else they have to say. They know not what they speak of. An Aimpoint PRO is probably the best buy going right now as far as a non-magnified optic goes.

devilchien0105
06-07-2012, 5:49 PM
Congrats!
Do you really need a light? If it was me, I would hold off on the surefire light, and the optic and save that money towards the car. If you're just learning to shoot, get used to shooting with your MBUS for a while before putting an optic on there. It will make you a better shooter.

I know a light is kind of "herp-derp" right now because I was trying to look tacticool a little bit you know? I was wondering either the light or the muzzle break may be??? I just had my driver license but I don't think my dad would let me near any car right now because of the recently accident, and he wants to control my curfew. I think Im gonna lay low for a year before I am going to college.
Moreover, I get to know about shooting for about 2 years already, shooting my grandfather hunting rifle aka "old hag" =D. I think I'm confident around 75-100 yards, and I just want get an Optic to push up the challenge for the 150 I guess!!!

Btw, thank you so much for your reply!!! I would keep in mind what you told me!!!!

Volkey
06-07-2012, 5:57 PM
I was just in the same boat as you my friend about the EOtech's. "there are so damn many! Which one is right for me?!" Well is the grand scheme of things, and after a lot of research i found that they all do the same thing, in a different way with different features.

Things to think about:

Do you want it to run on AA batteries? (cheap and pentiful)
However the AA models are FAR larger, take up more rail space, heavier ect.

Or do you want it to run on a single123 battery? (slightly more expensive, by about a dollar)
Using this model not only significantly slims down the optic and give you lots of free rail space, but they are also much lighter

Another important thing-
If you plan on adding one of EOtech's magnifacation sights behind it, you should look for a model with the brightness/power buttons on the SIDE of the red dot. That way you can adjust without having to remove the optic mounted directly behind it..

Just some things to think about.

Good luck, and congrats on the rifle, and graduation!

-Ryan

devilchien0105
06-07-2012, 6:35 PM
I would buy a sling, red dot and ammo before any of that other stuff.
Maybe a BCM gun fighter grip too, ditched my MIAD for one and couldn't be happier.

Could you explain to me why the BCM gun fighter grip is better than the MIAD please? I'm Asian and I doesn't have big hands at all, and I read from the review the MIAD is perfect for an Asian guy like me.

Your opinion is counted to me!!! Thank you very much!!

91 whiskey 209
06-07-2012, 6:40 PM
Are you trolling?

devilchien0105
06-07-2012, 6:47 PM
What do you mean? I'm trolling???? Why would make you think like that?

I know that I'm a new member, but I take this seriously!!!! I have been looking at this website since March, and I really like all the builds of the members on this website. And thanks to my Dad, I have a chance to learn and interact with you guys, and you think that I'm trolling? For real man?

vile1
06-07-2012, 6:51 PM
Lol u basically just went to magpul's website and put a checkbox next to everything they make!

Definitely isn't a bad thing, I say:
MBUS
Rubber buttpad
BAD lever
BCM gunfighter charging handle
Lots of pmags
Lots of ammo

Personally I can live with the regular stock with a buttpad, I actually love it. Same with the original ar pistol grip, but the other things listed (besides the pmags and ammo) are cheap, make a huge difference in actually using the gun, and , with the pmags and ammo, will allow you to shoot whenever you want, instead of "whenever you have money for ammo, cuz I spent all my $ on the afg and miad, etc," which sounds like it will since you still gotta save up for a car.

Also, I'm not a fan of the moe forend.
Everything else is good to go

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

m03
06-07-2012, 6:54 PM
How much time have you spent training with your Colt in the factory configuration, and why do you feel that it needs these additions/modifications?

Would the money be better spent on a carbine class + ammo instead of shiny new trinkets?

devilchien0105
06-07-2012, 7:51 PM
How much time have you spent training with your Colt in the factory configuration, and why do you feel that it needs these additions/modifications?

Would the money be better spent on a carbine class + ammo instead of shiny new trinkets?

When you love something, you would do anything for it right? I know what you're trying to tell me and I really appreciate it, but I believe these lilttle modification could also improve the performance of the gun and also helping me improve my skills too.

Taking the carbine class is also a must, but I already plan that after I finished gear up my gun!!!!

Btw, thank you for your advice!!! I would reconsider what you just told me!!!

P.S: Me and my father shoot together, so ammo is considered to be not the problem!!! =D

Dakine_surf
06-07-2012, 8:27 PM
I would leave the gun as is for now, since it is a functioning rifle. Dont buy an optic until you are confident with irons out to 150 or 200 yards (yes it can be done quite easily with practice) Save your money and take a carbine class... That will easily cost you a grand when all said and done... There will be great things to learn, and you will find out what gear works and what is fanboy hype... Don't get me wrong, I have a magpul'd carbine, but I also took my time and built it from the ground up the way I wanted after shooting my other ar's. You will also get to see a variety of different upgrades being used, and most instructors are pretty cool about letting you run one of their guns for a few drill to get a feel for some of the other options out there.

Personally I would stay away from sure fire unless you are over in the sandbox in the suck... There are tones of great high value led lighting systems out there that are just as good as a SF from companies like fenix, fourseven, and olight.

Just my $.02

nitroxdiver
06-07-2012, 8:53 PM
My recommendation for your new colt would be a few pmag 10/20's with the ultimate bullet button tool installed on them, a USGI sling, break free clp, a shooting mat from midway, lots of ammo, and a weekend at an Appleseed shoot. You and your dad could do it together and you'll benefit greatly from it. Plus it costs under $100.
Have fun be careful.

Dakine_surf
06-07-2012, 9:05 PM
Oh yeah +1 to Appleseed... but it will cost a little more than $100. I went to an appleseed last weekend and we went through well over 700 rounds... that would end up being in the $500 range at least

nitroxdiver
06-07-2012, 9:11 PM
^You are correct, they usually go 5-600 ish rounds for the weekend. I just meant the actual Appleseed course cost was under 100$. He had mentioned ammo wasn't an issue since his dad is buying it. Hope you enjoyed your weekend AS shoot!

Dakine_surf
06-07-2012, 9:25 PM
Ah very true! Yeah appleseed is a wonderful thing... it is a great learning tool. It will fundamentally change your marksmanship forever.

That being said, a Carbine class like Ronin, Magpul, Haley Strategic, Front sight, etc. will help with more than just marksmanship. Most of these classes require you to be proficient with your weapon already and will help transform your mindset and tactics. Weapons manipulation is only part of the training... being aware of your environment, thinking logically and understanding the limitations of yourself and how your body works in high stress situations is key to learning the tactical carbine... this is very hard to do "at the flat range" and most classes try to teach this.

wsmc27
06-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Congrats on your new rifle and graduation OP! Awesome to have an ammo sponsor too! ;)

+1,000,000 with those mentioning getting some training, and learning irons first. Always fun and informative, and a better value then poppin' a big $$ optic on top when you first get your AR running imo.

Are you in SoCal? A great value with an excellent instructor is Stan with TASC. Check out their schedule at http://www.stcrispian.com/

hth, have fun and be safe. :)

devilchien0105
06-08-2012, 1:38 PM
Thank you guys with all the comments and advices!!! I really appreciate it and i will try to follow them!

I did talk with my Dad, and somehow he is willing to pay for my basic upgrades (all I need to do was taking care of the optics myself...I love you Dad!!!). But I think I'm gonna hold on the optics and started practicing with my Magpul sight for better aiming!!!

Thanks to Nitroxdiver and Dakine surf about the Appleseed! I did take a look at their website and plan to go over there with my Dad for the training!

I actually live in Texas, and the Appleseed was like 1 hour drive from my home! I will call it a Father-Son trip then. The gun community in Texas was actually very helpful (you know...gun running state & rednecks), and the people will help you if you have anything to ask them.

Btw, thank you very much guys! I feel this gonna be a great start for me!!!

ParanoidCivilian
06-08-2012, 1:46 PM
I smell troll!

devilchien0105
06-08-2012, 2:09 PM
You can say whatever you want, but it will not change anything!!! But you just successfully showed yourself as a troll!!!

I have a Colt and I say it proudly!!! If you want pictures...I will provide them if you want proofs!!!