PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Police-State Style “License Checks” Will Not Be Tolerated!

vantec08
06-07-2012, 4:25 PM
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?103577-OCDO-Press-Rel-Oklahoma-Police-State-Style-%93License-Checks%94-Will-Not-Be-Tolerated!&p=1766285#post1766285

“Midwest City police will check for permits when they encounter someone openly carrying a gun” [chortles] Assistant Chief Sid Porter. ‘When public safety comes up, that is No. 1,’ Porter said. ‘If we see someone carrying a weapon in a holster, they have to have a permit on them and would be asked to show it. Anybody with a weapon on their side is considered a suspicious person.’”

dantodd
06-07-2012, 4:30 PM
[chortles] Assistant Chief Sid Porter. "Anybody with a weapon on their side is considered a suspicious person.”

I hope the BOP doesn't find out almost all their members are considered "suspicious person[s]" by their employers.

Dreaded Claymore
06-07-2012, 4:40 PM
Did some media agency report that Assistant Chief Sid Porter said this?

cdtx2001
06-07-2012, 4:50 PM
Anyone openly exercising their rights is considered a suspicious person.... Hey wait that's already the way it is....

NoJoke
06-07-2012, 5:58 PM
The "dynamic and evolving" 2a-

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed but will definitely be considered a suspicious person and will definitely be considered a threat to public safety.

Awh, hell - how about just, "no guns except for criminals!"

SilverTauron
06-07-2012, 6:10 PM
Translated to English:" Listen,its like the cable providers. There's only two franchises allowed in an area , and we have the same thing with firearms. Only two businesses can use guns-and we're one of them. Concealed carry ain't the other, so if you got a gat and aint got a badge or a rap sheet, we'll ensure you get plugged into the latter. Only two armed blocs in this town folks. Pick one."

vantec08
06-07-2012, 6:48 PM
. . .. "there aint room in this hea town for bof of us" . . . . .

Carnivore
06-07-2012, 9:53 PM
We will "let" you drive but if we see someone in a car we are going to stop them and make damn sure they have a permit or license to drive.

Some people just feel the need to show how important their useless job really is.

Untamed1972
06-08-2012, 8:52 AM
So the plan is to hassle people enough that they will no longer want to engage in what is now a legal activity? Way to go OK! :rolleyes:

wireless
06-08-2012, 9:02 AM
We all know how criminals open carry their weapons :rolleyes:

fizux
06-08-2012, 9:29 AM
After stopping the first 500 law-abiding citizens, I'm sure the thrill will wear off, and they will find something else to do.

I just treat it as a lesson in "concealed means concealed," and avoid testing the limits of the 4th Amendment.

Decoligny
06-08-2012, 9:59 AM
Unfortunately, the way the OK law is written, any person with a CCW is required to present it to any LEO upon demand.

Since open carry in OK requires a CCW, they have the legal authority to demand to see it.

If they keep it to "Sir, may I see your CCW?" take a quick look, "Thank you sir, have a nice day", then I don't see it being a 4th amendment violation.

Coded-Dude
06-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately, the way the OK law is written, any person with a CCW is required to present it to any LEO upon demand.

Since open carry in OK requires a CCW, they have the legal authority to demand to see it.

If they keep it to "Sir, may I see your CCW?" take a quick look, "Thank you sir, have a nice day", then I don't see it being a 4th amendment violation.

I am sure it will eventually evolve into: Sir, do you have a permit for that? A yes will prompt a: Thanks have a good day!

dantodd
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
After stopping the first 500 law-abiding citizens, I'm sure the thrill will wear off, and they will find something else to do.

I just treat it as a lesson in "concealed means concealed," and avoid testing the limits of the 4th Amendment.

Didn't apply to CA police wrt UOC.

Coded-Dude
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM

in some places it did. there are videos of good/quick UOC checks on youtube.
"Is that thing loaded? No. Have a good day!"

It will mostly come down to whether its a Blue County or a Red County.

surplus-addict
06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
It will mostly come down to whether its a Blue County or a Red County.
Blue country, Red county, it doesn't matter: It's all PURPLE.

chewy352
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
For one we don't have no stinkin blue counties out here. Two, all those Police chiefs are in the bigger cities. Luckly we don't have many of them. Three it also is written into the law that they can't disarm you while they are checking your license.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2011.pdf (Does not contain Open Carry portions yet)

dantodd
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
in some places it did. there are videos of good/quick UOC checks on youtube.
"Is that thing loaded? No. Have a good day!"

Which is still inappropriate.

CitaDeL
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Which is still inappropriate.

QFT.

I will refrain from elaborating on my feelings about the meddling statist police chief. I would however, make sure my contact with his officers was frequent and time consuming.

donw
06-09-2012, 6:41 AM
when, and where, will the paranoia of firearms, openly, legally carried in the open, go away?

this fear and paranoia is becoming epidemic...but...

i've noticed it's mostly from legislators who live in their fantasy world of "Any one who has a firearm MUST BE a terrorist..." or "Anyone who carries a firearm in the open, MUST BE a terrorist..." (law enforcement exempted, of course)

pathetic, paranoid, people...:(

donw
06-09-2012, 6:59 AM
when, and where, will the paranoia of firearms, openly, legally carried in the open, go away?

this fear and paranoia is becoming epidemic...but...

i've noticed it's mostly from legislators who live in their fantasy world of "Any one who has a firearm MUST BE a terrorist..." or "Anyone who carries a firearm in the open, MUST BE a terrorist..." (law enforcement exempted, of course)

pathetic, paranoid, people...:(

Sunday
06-09-2012, 8:11 AM
Cop unions don't like the competition??? Define terrorist!!!

scarville
06-09-2012, 9:15 AM
Posted without comment...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/05/daniel-zimmerman/rob-pincus-and-james-yeager-on-open-carry/

dxvOjO7XjMU

Cearbhall
06-09-2012, 4:09 PM
I agree with the guys in the above video. The outcome of that UOC "movement" in Cali was as predictable as the sun coming up. Anyone who claims they didn't see it coming, not very bright IMO.

wireless
06-09-2012, 4:17 PM
Blue country, Red county, it doesn't matter: It's all PURPLE.

Damn right. It doesn't come down to political affiliation. It comes down to your respect for the rights that were given to us by our forefathers.

meaty-btz
06-09-2012, 4:45 PM
I agree with the guys in the above video. The outcome of that UOC "movement" in Cali was as predictable as the sun coming up. Anyone who claims they didn't see it coming, not very bright IMO.

Too bad this has nothing to do with california nor Unloaded Open Carry.

Cearbhall
06-09-2012, 8:33 PM
In both cases open carry equals unwanted attention and harassment.

robcoe
06-09-2012, 8:49 PM

Depends on where you are. Growing up in the Sierras I can tell you the Tulare county sheriffs didn't really give a **** if someone was openly carrying an unloaded gun, I only once saw them ask someone if a gun was unloaded, and the officer simply took the guys word for that that it was.

Now in SF, I would expect a SWAT team.

CitaDeL
06-09-2012, 8:57 PM
Posted without comment...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/05/daniel-zimmerman/rob-pincus-and-james-yeager-on-open-carry/

dxvOjO7XjMU

Gaff at 1:39. He indicates he is against open carry unless that is the last means of legal carry. So he is for open carry when that is the last means to carry, until they ban it. Funny-that was what it was like for many in California. Whatever.

And both completely ignore the practical effects of deterence in favor of calling anyone who carries a weapon exposed an '***-hat' or assert that it is solely for a political statement. That is a little like me accusing those who promote LTC to the exclusion of all other options as douche bags and saying that they are all boot licking whores to the issuing agencies.

Neither is true or fair.

So-this video, if it is any example of their editorializing on 2A issues, doesnt really appeal to me to seek more of their biased content. In fact, I think I can pretty much file this in the same place as the content one CCW instructor was telling his students about someone like me bearing a openly holstered pistol being a 'good shoot'.

scarville
06-10-2012, 9:02 AM
Gaff at 1:39. He indicates he is against open carry unless that is the last means of legal carry. So he is for open carry when that is the last means to carry, until they ban it. Funny-that was what it was like for many in California. Whatever.
I noticed that, too. However, I think Pincus gets his "right" to carry a concealed weapon via LEOSA (ex-cop from New Jersey) so it understandable he would be against politicizing the carry of firearms.

Kid Stanislaus
06-10-2012, 10:48 AM
QFT.

I will refrain from elaborating on my feelings about the meddling statist police chief. I would however, make sure my contact with his officers was frequent and time consuming.

Some kind of weekly organised event should keep'm hop'n, especially if the day and time are changed frequently. ;)