PDA

View Full Version : Range Report Custom AR-15

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 3:17 PM
Here are some pictures of my AR at the range. It was 25 yards that I zeroed the iron sights for. I'm extremely happy with my black rifle. Focusing on getting my groups tighter. I had two shooting errors one in the 9 ring and one in the 8 ring. I saved the last shot of the day for the head. I was using .223 62gr Fiocchi ammo. Target was set at the max distance for this range 25 yards.

I've made a few adjustments to my rifle. I've cleaned up the trigger a little so it's a crisp 5lb trigger. Still deciding if I want to purchase the Magpul ACS stock. I'm also deciding if I want to add an EoTech optic.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/immrwright7/Mobile%20Uploads/1339104789.jpg

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/immrwright7/Mobile%20Uploads/1339104803.jpg

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/immrwright7/Mobile%20Uploads/1333674795.jpg

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 6:25 PM
Thinking about adding a Geissele trigger, is it worth the $300?

G60
06-07-2012, 6:31 PM
$300 is a lot of trigger for something running irons or an RDS.

nickel_1022
06-07-2012, 6:32 PM
Get the rock river match. Heard its the best cheap one, I really like mine.

gmcal
06-07-2012, 6:49 PM

IIRC, the Geissele National Match trigger is the most expensive at $279. That is a 2 stage adjustable match trigger which really isn't a good fit for a carbine. Take a look at the SSA which runs about $170. I have a SD-C and SSA-E and, IMO, yes Geissele triggers are worth their cost.

The Virus
06-07-2012, 6:54 PM
Geiselle S3G , you dont want a 2 stage trigger.
And get a T-1 for christ sake!

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 6:59 PM
So a single stage trigger is what I want? I want an optic, but until I can get a solid optic I will just run irons only.

SuperSet
06-07-2012, 7:09 PM
That's a decent-sized group. Are you doing that offhand or are you trying to zero at 25Y with your irons?

winxp_man
06-07-2012, 7:12 PM
That's a decent-sized group. Are you doing that offhand or are you trying to zero at 25Y with your irons?

+1

offhand ?

Arkangel
06-07-2012, 7:59 PM
I would put the $300 into the piggy bank, then wait until I could get a good optic.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=561811

This Calgunner has some good deals.

Just my opinion of course, if a fancy trigger is what you want... Go for it.

IPSICK
06-07-2012, 7:59 PM
Chip McCormick trigger. Great deal for a great single stage trigger.

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 8:01 PM
Well I'm a left handed shooter so this is off hand. I never shoot my AR left handed as it feels comfortable in my right hand.

G60
06-07-2012, 8:05 PM
Off hand = standing, unsupported by a bench or barrier.

G38xOC
06-07-2012, 8:06 PM
what range is that

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 8:25 PM
Off hand = standing, unsupported by a bench or barrier.

Lol i'm a complete newb for that statement. Yes it was off hand no support at all.

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 8:25 PM
what range is that

Guns, Hunting, Fishing and Other Stuff in Vacaville California

SuperSet
06-07-2012, 8:45 PM
Lol i'm a complete newb for that statement. Yes it was off hand no support at all.

No worries, man. For zeroing, you want to be as stable as possible since consistency is the key. Use a rest, sandbag or a chair to at least sit and stabilize the gun. At 25Y, even with iron sights (in this case, plastic sights), your bullets should be touching.
25Y is a good start but a crappy zero IMO. 50Y is more preferable.

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 8:54 PM
I want to zero for 50 yards, I just have to find a range that goes out that far. I will zero at 50 when I get there. I want my groups tighter.

Spaceghost
06-07-2012, 9:02 PM
Before you drop 3 bills on a trigger, upgrade your sights. Get a set of Troy's or even Midwest industries and get the hang of iron sights. Save up for an eotech or aimpoint, take a few classes and you are set.

The1stWright
06-07-2012, 9:09 PM
Before you drop 3 bills on a trigger, upgrade your sights. Get a set of Troy's or even Midwest industries and get the hang of iron sights. Save up for an eotech or aimpoint, take a few classes and you are set.

I want to take some carbine classes bad! What are some good sights to go with? I've been shooting with the MBUS sights since i've owned the gun.

sotastyy
06-08-2012, 8:19 AM
Mega Arms Tactical/Billet Trigger maybe? Friend praises it for a single stage and it looks pretty BA.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1852

or

http://www.riflegear.com/p-811-mega-arms-billet-trigger-black.aspx

(btw i am in no way advertising/trying to sell this product for the company just providing links so others can see what it looks like and where to buy)

21SF
06-08-2012, 8:23 AM
put the 300 towards aimpoint pro.

Droppin Deuces
06-08-2012, 8:47 AM
As far as triggers go, you should try before you buy if you don't know what you want. Single stage are quicker for some people if that's what you're interested in, but two stage triggers tend to lend themselves better to those chasing accuracy. I enjoy tactical style shooting as well, but I prefer to have the extra take-up of the two stage. In my opinion, the Geissele SSA is the best all around trigger out there other than the standard mil spec one.

And I agree with this.

G60
06-08-2012, 9:47 AM
If you want folding sights, look no further than Troy's. If you want fixed sights, LMT or Daniel Defense are the way to go. You will want a folding sight if you plan to use a scope or magnifier on a RDS.
Either way, they'll be an improvement over the MBUS.

beatstanfurd
06-08-2012, 9:59 AM

+1

Buy once... cry once. Get the Aimpoint PRO. Honestly, you won't be crying that long. Just go to the range right after you get it and those tears will turn to smiles.

The1stWright
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Why excatly would those sights be an upgrade?

SuperSet
06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
They certainly wouldn't make your groups tighter. You need to stabilize your shooting position and apply the proper fundamentals - breathing, sight picture, etc.
I think MBUSs are fine as once you get a primary optic, you'll hardly use them.

G60
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
If you've ever used MBUS back to back with a quality iron sight, you'd understand why they're an upgrade. Parts ain't just parts.

ouch1
06-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Instead of dropping $300 on a match trigger checkout the Timney drop in AR15 competition trigger for $209 (https://timneytriggers.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=34). It is adjustable on trigger pull and very reliable.

-ouch1

ptgarcia
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
If you've ever used MBUS back to back with a quality iron sight, you'd understand why they're an upgrade. Parts ain't just parts.

Can you elaborate as to why?

laabstract
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
They certainly wouldn't make your groups tighter. You need to stabilize your shooting position and apply the proper fundamentals - breathing, sight picture, etc.
I think MBUSs are fine as once you get a primary optic, you'll hardly use them.

Pretty much right on, Practice the basics and put your money towards an optic after you get down the basics what helps me out alot with the AR platform is focus on trigger reset. After you fire gently release the trigger till you hear a click, then apply pressure to the trigger gently for your follow up shot.

The1stWright
06-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I've heard that click. I've been trying to get my groups as tight as possible. I've only owned this AR for about three months and I've only put 150 rounds down range. I know there's more accuracy that can be squeezed out of this platform. I'm the only person I know with an AR so it's hard for me to get the proper training I'm basically self taught.

jrivera408
06-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Like others have stated, If you must get a trigger I'd say settle with a decent 2 stage and save the cash for ammo, optics, or better irons if YOU want. I had a Timney on my carbine and loved it when set up with a higher powered optic. After I changed back to a low powered optic for a more defensive set up, the Timney was a little to light for my liking. For a defensive carbine I would just go with a RR or other brand 2 stage. Thats my $.02
* THANK YOU for having your mbus's on correctly too!*

The1stWright
06-08-2012, 1:17 PM
^^Lol I've noticed people put the front sight on wrong all the time.

I'm going to skip the trigger for now and focus on an optic. I want to shoot from a rest to get my sights perfectly zeroed.

Dakine_surf
06-08-2012, 3:44 PM
^^ This is a great idea, but I would just get to the point where you are shooting good groups with irons before you invest in an expensive optic... try shooting a AQT target at 25 yards... that will ensure you are shooting 4 MOA at 400 yards... Totally doable with irons.

save the money you would spend on a eotech or aimpoint and buy a lot of ammo, shoot the crap out of the gun and save some money for a nice optic.

MrExel17
06-08-2012, 3:46 PM
OP congrats! I have to agree if your going to drop $300 on a trigger you might want think about it there is other triggers out there like a Spikes Battle trigger $60, RRA $90, etc...

The1stWright
06-08-2012, 4:24 PM
^^ This is a great idea, but I would just get to the point where you are shooting good groups with irons before you invest in an expensive optic... try shooting a AQT target at 25 yards... that will ensure you are shooting 4 MOA at 400 yards... Totally doable with irons.

save the money you would spend on a eotech or aimpoint and buy a lot of ammo, shoot the crap out of the gun and save some money for a nice optic.

Where can I find that target? Also what is an acceptable group for an AR-15?

Dakine_surf
06-08-2012, 4:58 PM
It looks like this

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/dakine_surf/aqt.jpg

I have a printable version, but you need an 11x17 printer to do it correctly... i will send you a pm.

You need to set it up at 25 yards.

It goes something like this...

The top target is shot offhand (unsupported) 10 shots, you have 2 minutes to complete this section.

Next section is a transition section, you start standing and drop to a seated position and you shoot 10 shots at the two targets with 2 mags (one with 2, the other with 8) you shoot the 2 shots first, then the 8 shots. You have 55 seconds to complete this section with 10 shots and a mag change.

3rd is the transition to prone, again start standing but drop to prone and again 2 mags, one loaded with 2 rounds and the other with 8. you shoot the first target with 2 shots, mag change, one more shot in the first target, 3 shots in the second target, and then 4 shots in the third.

Then there is the final section this is done from prone, no transition. you have 10 shots (one mag) and 5 minutes to complete. you shoot 2 in the first, 2 in the second, and 3 shots in the 3rd and 4th targets.

All in all 40 shots are taken...

It sounds way more complicated than it really is, but I suggest going to an appleseed shoot to get the training first hand.

For a beginner i would say 4 moa is a good group off hand, so at 25 yards your groups (5 shot groups) should fit in a 1" hole

FourLoko
06-08-2012, 5:01 PM
25 yards is way too easy

Dakine_surf
06-08-2012, 5:45 PM
25 yards is way too easy

Maybe so, but if he is shooting 1" groups unsupported at 25 yards, I would say he is well on his way with fundamentals... not everyone has access to long ranges... most indoor places are 25yards or less, so practice small at shorter distances and you will be well on your way... of course this will not translate with hold over etc.

Right now as a new shooter, he should be focusing on tight groups even if at only 25 yards... this means concentrating on sight picture, sight alignment, and breathing along with good trigger squeeze and trapping the trigger after each shot...

t0kie
06-08-2012, 5:59 PM
Nice, I barely know that you can use rifles in an indoor range, good for you.

Dakine_surf
06-08-2012, 6:47 PM
Nice, I barely know that you can use rifles in an indoor range, good for you.

Lol, I know, most don't allow rifles, but some do... a new indoor range just opened near me, they allow up to .50 BMG :33: But only on certain nights... during normal hours, .308 or .338 is the limit... still cool though!

TreeHugger
06-08-2012, 7:16 PM
Not bad, just need a little more pratice :)

The1stWright
06-08-2012, 8:21 PM
I'd really want to go to a bigger range to test my skills. 25yds might be too easy. At this range i've shot next to .308 (man that was loud) What distance should I shoot to test my skills? 50yds? 100yds?

Dakine_surf
06-08-2012, 8:37 PM
Like i said the 25 yard aqt target is challenging and is similar to shooting a human sized 400 yard target... it is good practice

The1stWright
06-08-2012, 8:59 PM
Like i said the 25 yard aqt target is challenging and is similar to shooting a human sized 400 yard target... it is good practice

I'm going to download that target and shoot it next time I go to the range.

TreeHugger
06-09-2012, 3:55 PM
I'd really want to go to a bigger range to test my skills. 25yds might be too easy. At this range i've shot next to .308 (man that was loud) What distance should I shoot to test my skills? 50yds? 100yds?

Try all, 50, 100, 200, 300, etc

ExtremeX
06-09-2012, 4:21 PM

I bought a Geissele SD-E... its probably one of the best upgrades I've done to my AR. It has improved my ability to pull off a better group and better consistency on breaking my shots at the right time when I shoot at longer ranges.

If you can afford it, its a great upgrade. If you want to save money, go with the RRA 2 Stage NM trigger. It feels very similar to the SD-E and cost a lot less. I have both RRA NM and SD-E.

I also plan on getting the SD-3G and Geissele DMR for my dedicated target rifle.

trob
06-09-2012, 9:30 PM
Get the rock river match. Heard its the best cheap one, I really like mine.

yea, with irons the RRA match is more than enough. I use it on my scoped varmint rig.

Your rifle looks great. I think you got him :D

greasem0nkey86
06-09-2012, 10:33 PM
I can attest for the RRA match also. BUT my primary has been upgraded to a SDC Geiselle trigger. Spent at least 5yrs behind the RRA (in ranges and classes) before I upgraded to the SDC, the Geiselle feels better. The RRA is a good inexpensive route for a good two stage trigger.

But like some have said, work on your fundamentals before you do anything. I've been shooting my KISS rifle for at least 5yrs, and finally upgrading to a better upper. Pushing out the KISS rifle as the backup rifle.

Get the fundamentals down and get an idea of where you stand before you spend the money.
With that said, nothing brings a smile to your face like hitting steel with iron sights out to 600yrds. :D