PDA

View Full Version : The old AR pistol to rifle, rifle to pistol question.

PopaGlock
06-07-2012, 2:00 PM
So I have been trying to research the deal with making an AR pistol here in CA. From what I read, according to the BATFE, your lower has to have been mated with a rifle upper to officially be called a rifle. I purchased a complete lower and would like to make it a pistol. I have not purchased anything else, but the complete lower. Am I legally able to remove the stock and replace it with a pistol stock, then purchase my pistol upper, and make my gun a pistol? According to the thread it is federally legal, but is it state legal? Here is the thread for BATFE talking about making lower to pistol.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BAT FE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html

stevied
06-07-2012, 2:19 PM
No it's not. You DROSed the lower as a long rifle. That is what it has to be.

DavidR310
06-07-2012, 3:59 PM
You need to buy a compelete ar pistol that has the sse already done to be exempt from the handgun safety test. If you want just an ar lower you need to buy it through a private party.
Lower is determined from the mfg whether or not it is a pistol or rifle lower.
Edit: not sure about last statement.
Head over to ar15.com, they have alot of info you need.

Also, there is a vendor that offers an upper buy back program. Addax I think. No, it's EBR

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=463278

Quiet
06-07-2012, 4:21 PM
So I have been trying to research the deal with making an AR pistol here in CA. From what I read, according to the BATFE, your lower has to have been mated with a rifle upper to officially be called a rifle. I purchased a complete lower and would like to make it a pistol. I have not purchased anything else, but the complete lower. Am I legally able to remove the stock and replace it with a pistol stock, then purchase my pistol upper, and make my gun a pistol? According to the thread it is federally legal, but is it state legal? Here is the thread for BATFE talking about making lower to pistol.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BAT FE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html
Legally...

State laws can be more restrictive than Federal laws.

CA state laws prohibits what you want to do.

CA will view it as a SBR, not as a pistol. (state felony)

xpbprox
06-07-2012, 4:31 PM
Build an %80 lower, then you don't even have to worry about registering it

stix213
06-07-2012, 5:08 PM
Your issue isn't the BATFE, your issue is what your DROS papers said when they went to the state of CA with their own separate SBR law.

Your options:
* Buy a complete AR pistol new using SSE
* Buy a used AR pistol or pistol lower via PPT
* Build your own 80% lower

I went the 80% route personally.

artoaster
06-07-2012, 5:20 PM
Good job! The 80% lower route seems the way to go. So much fear, uncertainty and doubt about whether you are risking trouble down the road with such a build. (Pistol on 80% lower.)

PopaGlock
06-07-2012, 9:42 PM
I thought about the 80% lower, but that means I have to find a mill.

xpbprox
06-08-2012, 5:45 AM
There's no FUD about it, so don't even start spreading it.

Where are you located at man? There's build parties all over CA, and generally cost $50-$70

CSACANNONEER
06-22-2012, 6:17 AM
No it's not. You DROSed the lower as a long rifle. That is what it has to be.

Really? Care to cite PC or case law? I bet you can't! There is NOTHING in state or federal law prohibiting using a virgin lower to build a handgun no matter how it is DROSed. The question as to whether DROS has any legal bearing on what type of firearm a virgin receiver is, has yet to be proven one way or the other. However, it's not worth the possible headache or having to defend yourself in court. It's simple not worth being the test case. So, do not do it but, that's not saying that it would be illegal to do so.