PDA

View Full Version : Monster Man Grip

RiverCity9500
06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Has anyone used this with stocks other then the A2 that it was designed for.
I would like to put on either a Magpal adjusted fixed stock or even a Skeleton stock.
I am building a M1A with a Troy chassis system and want to make it featureless.
Thanks

that guy
06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I am building a M1A with a Troy chassis system and want to make it featureless.
Thanks

Does the chassis system geometry match that of the standard AR-15? Looks like it does on the Troy website, but my eye is not a precision measuring instrument.

If it does, then you will have the same fit as if you tried to install a similar stock/ grip combination on an AR. The resulting gap between the MMG-AR and the stock could be a problem. MonsterMan says:"The MMG-AR was designed to be used with the A2 stock. I highly recommend it be used with it." On their website.

It might still work, but have you thought of a Kydex Wrap (Solar Tactical/ homemade) or a Hammerhead? Both are also good ways to featureless.

Both will prevent a "grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top exposed portion of the trigger while firing." Make sure that the MMG-AR will also do this.

RiverCity9500
06-07-2012, 1:55 PM
I am thinking I do not wnat to do the Kydex becuase the grip protrudes below the pistol grip. I am [ushing th elimits out their in Ca as it is and I want to take percautions.

I think I will just try a A2 stock and see what happens

that guy
06-07-2012, 3:49 PM
I am thinking I do not wnat to do the Kydex becuase the grip protrudes below the pistol grip. I am [ushing th elimits out their in Ca as it is and I want to take percautions.

I think I will just try a A2 stock and see what happens

The law here states that manufacturing or bringing into CA a rifle with a detachable magazine and certain banned features is illegal. I will not be able to explain it nearly as clearly as the assault weapons id flow chart, which you should read and understand before bringing any rifles into CA :
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

But the evil feature in question, a pistol style grip, has been defined in a legal sense. The important question as to whether you have an evil feature is not does the grip itself protrude below the action of the gun, but does the grip allow a pistol style grasp -"in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top exposed portion of the trigger while firing."

The Kydex is not a problem so long as your thumb can't wrap around the grip.

If you are not comfortable with this, the Hammerhead grip protrudes behind the action, not down below, allowing for a traditional rifle style grip.

Of course there is nothing wrong with the A2 option, but it seemed to be your third choice. Just realize that you do have options that will allow you to use those other stocks legally in CA.

Also, I can't stress enough, read through the flowchart.

Dutch Schultz
06-07-2012, 8:22 PM
I dremeled mine down to fit an a1 stock better.

totalinfidel
06-08-2012, 8:53 AM
How much did you have to modify the MMG to fit the A1 stock? I am going to use your type of set up.

totalinfidel
06-08-2012, 8:55 AM
I dremeled mine down to fit an a1 stock better.
How much did you have to modify the MMG to fit the A1 stock? I am going to use your type of set up.

SuperSet
06-08-2012, 8:58 AM
I had to cut mine to fit a VLTOR A1 fixed stock too. Usually, the cut is to the top left corner and only extends less than 1/8" into the grip.

PEBKAC
06-08-2012, 3:16 PM
I've used one with an ACE A1 length skeleton stock and an old style fixed XCR-L folding stock. The latter required some dremeling but not much.

Dutch Schultz
06-09-2012, 12:32 AM

Not very much at all actually, I went really slow as I was scared to take off too much. So it ended up taking longer than it should, but it's really not a lot you have to remove. I could have done the job with a file or sandpaper.

mrvash
06-09-2012, 1:28 AM
I have a silly question: With a Monster Man grip, technically, wouldn't the web of your firing hand still be below the exposed top portion of the trigger while firing?

saki302
06-09-2012, 1:28 PM
The MMG does not allow the web of your hand to be below the top of the trigger. With a stock in polace it forces your thumb up and to the same side as your hand.

Even if you removed the A2 stock and tried to grab it pistol style (wrapping the thumb over the top), you'll see your thumb web still ends up over the top of the trigger thanks to the MMG 'hump'.

-Dave