PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a scope on my M1A SOCOMII.

mcisniper
06-07-2012, 8:31 AM
I have a set of ARMS 30-mm quick-release scope mounts. I was planning to use these to mount a scope on my SOCOM II but in my research all I see anyone use is the USGI (Brookfield) style mounts (Smith, Sadlak).

Is the recoil on an M1A too much for the ARMS mount?

Thanks
Michael

BillyGoatMachine
06-07-2012, 9:02 AM
Putting a scope on a Socom2 is a losing battle. Cheek weld is near impossible and the scope will make you realize how poor the rifle is in the accuracy dept.

-hanko
06-07-2012, 9:24 AM
Putting a scope on a Socom2 is a losing battle. Cheek weld is near impossible and the scope will make you realize how poorly the rifle is in the accuracy dept..
/thread ;)

-hanko

mcisniper
06-07-2012, 9:25 AM
ISO mat and duct tape fixes cheek weld.

Sumo99
06-07-2012, 10:18 AM
One of my friends has ARMS QD rings on a Bassett mount and has zero problems.

Does your SOCOM II have the full or short rail?

There are several cheek risers that will take care of the height issue.

Sicarius
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Arms rings are just fine. It is the mounting solutions for the M1a. Most people that have a scout or socom put a red dot or a scout scope(one that mounts towards the front of the rifle) on it.
Kevin

mcisniper
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I have the short rail version.

Sumo99
06-07-2012, 1:14 PM
I have the short rail version.

Are you planning on mounting the rings on the existing rail, or did you want to mount it on the receiver? If you are just going to use the SOCOM rails, mount the rings, get an extended eye relief scope, get a cheek riser and you are good to go. If you want to mount the scope on the receiver, you will need to take off the SOCOM rail and then install a scope mount. Then use your rings and then whatever scope you want (I suggest you stay away from side focus scopes on the M1a).

You see a lot of Sadlak, Smith mounts because if you want to mount the scope on the receiver, these are probably the best 2 mounts out there. Bassett is also very good 3rd option.

mcisniper
06-07-2012, 9:09 PM
I was going to mount it on the SOCOM rails.

cfusionpm
06-07-2012, 9:38 PM
Putting a scope on a Socom2 is a losing battle. Cheek weld is near impossible and the scope will make you realize how poorly the rifle is in the accuracy dept.

Been there done that with my Scout. :/ Even a 3x9 was too much... went right back to iron sights.

Tack425
06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
It depends on the shooting you are going to do with it. Are you looking for anything past 300yds? I used a Burris handgun scope on the forward rail of my Scout, and shot with both eyes open for target aquisition. Took some getting used to and felt weird. It works for up to 300yds or so. An Aimpoint would do really well also for that range if you are not looking for any magnification.
Then I went to the Bassett mount with a Vortex optic and won't do anything else other that plain old irons. If you are looking to mount over the receiver, don't skimp on the mount. The mount is everything, you can have a Nightforce optic, but if the mount sucks you will be unhappy with your results. Look for the Sadlak, Bassett or SEI mounts. You can find them used on M14 Firing line forum.
PM me if you have any other questions

Sumo99
06-11-2012, 9:27 AM
I was going to mount it on the SOCOM rails.
Then you should be able to get a long eye relief scope and a cheek riser. You'll just need to figure out how tall of a cheek riser you need.
http://www.coyotem1a.com/
or if you want an adjustable one:
http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com/M1A-M14CheekRest.html
Or just use some duct tape ;)

Coyotegunner
06-11-2012, 9:46 AM
Like many others here.Went back to the sights.First off I have other M1As that I have used the good mounts,Smith/Sadlack.The scope will be way to high to see through.I remedied it by installing adjustable cheek risers on the stocks.The Socom,I did not bother,but I did try a red dot forward,then a pistol EER scope.Accuracy is so so.Not what I was hoping for though.I have since gotten happy with the big a** aperture and big front post close quarter sights.I can hit 12 plates at 300 yards with them.If I get bored,I will try some finer sights for it.I also took all the extra rails(truck seat and clothing rippers)off.I really like the gun now and it provides more smiles than any other gun I own.

dfletcher
06-11-2012, 9:49 AM
If you want a good solid cheek weld that will without a doubt stay in place, I think this works best:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1085330&catid=5830

I use it one a few rifles including a Scout with an ARMS 18 mount. Raises you up just right. Obviously once it's on removal will leave a mark.

Munny$hot
06-11-2012, 3:32 PM
Ultimak makes a low profile picatinny rail for your rig.
http://ultimak.com/m8.htm