PDA

View Full Version : Would you attend a lead-free indoor range?

a1c
06-06-2012, 9:18 PM
I know, weird question. But play along.

Would you attend such a range, knowing that your ammo would have to be lead-free - which means most of you would have to buy it onsite?

tuna quesadilla
06-06-2012, 9:24 PM

Would you attend such a range, knowing that your ammo would have to be lead-free - which means most of you would have to buy it onsite?

Hell no.

monk
06-06-2012, 9:28 PM
Bah, should've read the friggin post first. Correction, no I would not.

hermosabeach
06-06-2012, 9:31 PM
No
Lead free ammo is extreemly low recoil and does not run in some guns

The cost is almost double factory white box ammo

If the range has decent ventilation then you will not have an issue with lead exposure

Merc1138
06-06-2012, 9:31 PM
**** no. Range ammo already costs a ridiculous amount anyway. Lead free ammo bought at the range? LOL. Plus, even if I brought my own lead free ammo, that would mean I couldn't bring my HD ammo to check if it functions in a gun(or whatever). Even if I bought online the prices suck. Just... no.

Striker
06-06-2012, 10:24 PM

I've actually done it. The only indoor range in Reno that I could find was lead free. Since I was there visiting, I didn't have much choice. Ammo was crazy expensive, but it's a nice range with a shop upstairs. Nice people running it and I've had worse experiences at other ranges.

Oh, would I do it if I had another choice? No.

Capybara
06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Shooters Paradise in Oxnard is lead-free. Stopped going there, why not shoot any ammo I want at a new range that is beautiful with much cooler people? I now have a membership at Island View in Ventura. I hated buying that stupid, rip off Remington UMC, the stuff is junk and expensive.

cebuvfr
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
no way!

far from tactical
06-07-2012, 12:18 AM
nope ever since they opened up IVE in ventura stoped going to shooters in oxnard i didnt feel like paying 15.99 for there reloads anymore no thank you even though shooters is way closer to where i live i dont mind the little trip up there

johnthomas
06-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Shooters Paradise in Oxnard is lead-free. Stopped going there, why not shoot any ammo I want at a new range that is beautiful with much cooler people? I now have a membership at Island View in Ventura. I hated buying that stupid, rip off Remington UMC, the stuff is junk and expensive.

UMC expensive? Wal mart sells 250 rounds for 59 and 45 for 96.

No I would not shoot at a no lead range.

NSR500
06-07-2012, 1:46 AM
Lead > Lead Free

stix213
06-07-2012, 2:14 AM
I'm not against lead free ammo, I'm against expensive ammo. If lead free ammo functioned equally as well but cost half as much as lead ammo, I would be fine giving up lead ammo.

That's something that the anti-lead environazis need to understand too. If you want shooters to give up lead ammo, don't try to come up with "better" laws, or other controls. Just come up with a lead free ammo that has a lower price tag and many shooters would switch on their own.

TacticalPlinker
06-07-2012, 5:03 AM
No. I don't see a reason to use lead free ammunition. Performance benefits aside, the cost is absurd. If your ventilation systems are too old to provide a safe environment, perhaps you should not be doing business in the first place.

Besides, what is point of restricting handgun lead ammunition but not rifle/shotgun lead ammunition?

I also don't shoot at indoor ranges that don't allow magnetic or steel cased ammunition. Again, I don't see the reason and I refuse to accept the costs associated.

Outdoor ranges are a different story. I understand environmental concerns and fire hazards, but I still choose to not do business.

incredablehefey
06-07-2012, 5:10 AM
Nope

TNP'R
06-07-2012, 6:01 AM
No.

a1c
06-07-2012, 6:59 AM
School this newbie(been shooting 6wks but grew up around guns) on the purpose of a lead-free range please. What's the concern? Lead exposure?

A handful of indoor ranges choose to go lead-free (not sure if it's a good idea from a business point of view, as this poll's early results seem to demonstrate).

The reasons are costs associated with the follow-up of employee's lead exposure (blood tests, etc.), associated insurance companies' concerns, and the cost of recycling lead scrap.

fighterpilot562
06-07-2012, 7:17 AM
Nope, screw that.

ptoguy2002
06-07-2012, 7:30 AM

Major FAIL.
You do understand where the toxic exposure in [eta: jacketed] ammunition comes from right? It isn't from the lead bullet, its from the toxic crap in the primer. You can load up whatever super safe, made from biodegradable paper or whatever bullet you want, but as long as you have a primer which makes the bullet go boom, you won't be decreasing your exposure one lick.
So unless you can engineer a primer which: 1.)works every time and 2.) doesn't contain toxins, your indoor shooting range with no lead exposure is going to be limited to air guns and sling shots.
The only reason for lead free in indoor shooting ranges is 1.) your back stop sucks, or 2.) if the range owner is too scared to suit up in the moon suit to clean it out.

Capybara
06-07-2012, 7:36 AM
I was told that Shooters went lead free simply because the EPA pulled a "California Hassle" against one of the indoor ranges in the Valley and fined them $150k. Purely a pre-emptive defensive move by Shooters so as to not have to deal with the EPA's thugs. If Shooters was smart and had foresight, they would invest the money to upgrade their HVAC system and be done with it but that place looks like it is falling apart anyway, they aren't going to spend tens of thousands of dollars upgrading their HVAC system unless they are forced to.

I only bought UMC ammo on-line and it was expensive, I never saw those Walmart prices, but even if they were giving it away, it is still crap and jams on some of my guns quite bit because it is underpowered. I will never again shoot lead free ammo, I am done with that, I am stocked up with 5k rounds of WWB and Winchester 124gr NATO which I happily shoot at Island View and at outdoor ranges.

I hope Shooters stays in business, I don't want to see any ranges close, but I can't imagine that Island View has not taken a big chunk of their business.

ptoguy2002
06-07-2012, 7:40 AM
I did your google'ing for you:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/76-130/

ptoguy2002
06-07-2012, 7:46 AM
Read the CDC study. The primary source of lead exposure is the primer. Ventilation is more important than the material of the bullet. The bullet has nothing to do with it unless the back stop is really really close. Cast lead bullets, particularly from revolvers are an exception. But with most people shooting jacketed from autos, that is less of an issue.

a1c
06-07-2012, 8:04 AM
Major FAIL.
You do understand where the toxic exposure in [eta: jacketed] ammunition comes from right? It isn't from the lead bullet, its from the toxic crap in the primer. You can load up whatever super safe, made from biodegradable paper or whatever bullet you want, but as long as you have a primer which makes the bullet go boom, you won't be decreasing your exposure one lick.
So unless you can engineer a primer which: 1.)works every time and 2.) doesn't contain toxins, your indoor shooting range with no lead exposure is going to be limited to air guns and sling shots.
The only reason for lead free in indoor shooting ranges is 1.) your back stop sucks, or 2.) if the range owner is too scared to suit up in the moon suit to clean it out.

Stop blaming me here, I have no plans on opening such a range, and I'm not saying ANYTHING about the science. You're assuming way too much about me here. Easy now.

I'm merely asking people if they would attend such a range, and I went over the reasons (as did others) why some ranges go lead-free: they were paying premiums from insurance companies and government agencies which did not care about the science you went over. I am not defending the logic. Relax.

Aldemar
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
NFW.....I get my lead levels checked once a year with my physical. Levels are in the lower range of "normal". I really think the only way you could get elevated levels of lead from any shooting sport is to get shot. Environmentalists trying to make things difficult for things they don't like again.

pc_load_letter
06-07-2012, 11:55 AM
El Cajon Police Dept. (outside San Diego) just built a multi-million dollar new police department and included a firing range in the building, complete with rotating targets etc etc.

It's rarely shot on once since they require lead free ammunition. (not supplied by the dept either)

Yemff
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
You mean like shooters paradise in Oxnard.

gwanghoops
06-07-2012, 12:22 PM
You can buy Winchester 9mm SuperX Super Unleaded Encapsulated ammo for about $13/box at sgammo. Lead free primer and the lead bullet is encapsulated.

I would go to a lead free range if the ammo price was similar.

ckprax
06-07-2012, 1:24 PM
NO. There is no decrease in lead exposure and the ammo is way too expensive.

wjc
06-07-2012, 8:27 PM
sure.

...if you provide the ammo. :D

I'm already getting honed on lead-free ammo for hunting. Help a fella out!