PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine. Best home gun for CA.

Michaudal
06-06-2012, 6:46 PM
In 1999 i turned 18me years old. At the time i lived in suburban southeast Pennsylvania so when i bought my first gun, my Underwood M1 carbine, i took it home with me that day. I keep the little gun as a home defence gun perfect for the land of assult weapons bans. To the ar guys who say my gun is an underpowered POS i answer at least i can change my mag without a spare bullet every 15 rounds or so. I love my BB AR dont get me wrong but i trust my life to a gun that operates as originaly designed.

OldShooter32
06-06-2012, 7:32 PM
The .30 carbine round is well up there with hot .38's and .357 rounds -- my concern is that most carbine ammo is round nose jacketed and that spells penetration. I keep a .30 cocked & locked, but live in the country. Were I in town, I'd opt for a 12 or 20 g with #4 shot to keep from sending bullets down the block. My wife likes the .30 over the shotgun though...simpler and less recoil. Use what works!

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-06-2012, 7:36 PM
with this bad boys you should have a problem http://www.midwayusa.com/product/553131/cor-bon-dpx-hunter-ammunition-30-carbine-100-grain-barnes-triple-shock-x-bullet-lead-free-box-of-20

IrishJoe3
06-06-2012, 7:45 PM
the 30 carbine is great! I love mine, and it fits the role it was intended for perfectly. I would just hate to use mine in a self defense type situation and have my WWII treasure rust away in police evidence....

JavaBrewer
06-06-2012, 7:52 PM
There is always the Mini 14 is you want to go head to head with the AR guys.

RandyD
06-06-2012, 8:07 PM
The M-1 Carbine was Audie Murphy's favorite rifle (as he stated in his autobiography). He killed an estimated 250 German soldiers, so his opinion has some credibility.

Michaudal
06-06-2012, 8:11 PM
just a joke but keep a post war universal for a through away gun so a "ww2 treasure" does not end up rusting away as evidence. ;-)

Michaudal
06-06-2012, 8:19 PM
Although a universal would be much less reliable then a real gi gun so you take a chance either way.

elSquid
06-06-2012, 8:25 PM
The M1 Carbine was one of Jim Cirillo's preferred tools for urban gunfighting...

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/lessons-from-the-stakeout-squad/

-- Michael

Bhobbs
06-06-2012, 8:43 PM
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_prsnl.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/486295/speer-gold-dot-ammunition-30-carbine-110-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

How about some 110 grain Gold Dots in loaded .30 Carbine? That would be a sweet home defense load.

Cuda440
06-06-2012, 8:50 PM
Just curious, but what would make that better than something equally powerfull but much more maneuverable, like a G31 loaded with 16+1 rounds of 357sig hollow points and a mounted light?

Caiden07
06-06-2012, 9:09 PM
Reminds me of Robert Joy from Land of the Dead. Wont trade his M1 carbine for anything.:D

IrishPirate
06-06-2012, 9:21 PM
excellent gun....anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. wish i had one!!!

another great option would be a 10mm silenced version of this:
http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/roni_weapon-tfb.jpg

Michaudal
06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I love all thinks that go boom. I was only being pragmatic about our home defence situation here in California. I am a rifle guy naturally. The only formal training i have ever received for any weapon was for the M16A2 service rifle. I feel much more comfortable with a long gun in my hands vs. a pistol. I'm not debating the the role of the pistol in home defence. What i am saying is a BB ar is useless for home defence since after ten rounds the gun is done. Let's be honest in a fire fight nobody is going to work a BB fast enough to save their life. Nobody. Moreover any tool you may affix to the weapon to actuate the BB is still considered illegal here in California. Thus the M1 Carbine is practically a better home defence carbine in California then a BB AR.

ClarenceBoddicker
06-07-2012, 1:42 AM
I've got a GI M-1 Carbine & it would be the last weapon I'd want to use for home defense. Even with a paratrooper stock & GI 30rd mags, I'd rather use something else like high cap pistols. 1st choice would be my G-19 & G-26, both with a 33rd G-18 mag & Cor-Bon 115gr loads. If dark, the 26 would be in my pocket & a PAS-6 in my non gun hand. If light enough to see OK, both pistols would be ready. No, you don't fire both pistols at the same time.

If I had to use a carbine sized rifle for some reason, it would be a featureless AK with a 30, 40 or 75rd mag/drum. The very last thing you want to be doing in a stressful no way out HD scenario is to play change the magazine in the dark, while peeking around corners. Long guns are lame for HD. A high capacity SBR, SBS or better yet, a FA SMG would be the best choice. 2 high capacity pistols is the best practical & legal compromise.

smle-man
06-07-2012, 8:29 PM
I served with two NCOs in the Army who carried M2 carbines in VN and thought they were very well armed. The carbine was perfect for anything 200 yds and under in their opinion and opportunities for shooting beyond that distance were pretty rare. Everyone they hit stayed dead.