PDA

View Full Version : Oh no's .. not another "what scope should I use" thread / 2ND question added !! 6/11

BANG BANG
06-06-2012, 2:07 PM
2nd question added below

Seriously, I have done searches. read up on threads, and still need some advice

The rifle : Rem 700 SPS tactical AAC (still in jail)

The use: bench shooting and some deer and pig hunting (not often though)

The budget: $600.00 ish for scope only

base and rings to be determined later (but a Seekins base and Badger rings?)

So I am trying to decide the best scope for the the above usage. 90% of the time will be bench shooting to 100 yards. The other 10% will be for hunting

I figure a variable power will be best versus fixed power?

a simple reticle is preferred since I am no sniper that can shoot 1000 yards with windage holds memorized

I do not have any experience with bolt actions or scopes.

This is my first bolt action and I do not have an unlimited budget so upgrades will be slow to come

part 2

New question .. I was reading that you should / or must bed a one piece scope base?

I found a good deal on a Trijicon 3x9.. thoughts?

Vacaville
06-06-2012, 2:11 PM
Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Conquest.

undercow16969
06-06-2012, 2:16 PM
http://www.darkopsholdings.com I have 3 of these that I use for 1k yard shots and they are amazing. These are not made of the cheaper chinese glass either. I switched from Leupold and nightforce scopes to this.

Black Majik
06-06-2012, 2:23 PM
http://www.darkopsholdings.com I have 3 of these that I use for 1k yard shots and they are amazing. These are not made of the cheaper chinese glass either. I switched from Leupold and nightforce scopes to this.

That's difficult to believe. Not sure of sarcasm. :confused:

Capita159
06-06-2012, 3:09 PM

I know a dude that has one on his 6.8 AR and really seems to like them. I don't know about giving up a Nightforce or Leupold, maybe to save abunch of money....... ?

At OP, for $600.00 those Nikon Morarch are kinda hard to beat.

gmcal
06-06-2012, 3:21 PM
Vortex Viper HS

Cypriss32
06-06-2012, 3:23 PM
Vortex viper......... 5-15x goes for 499.99 Its Mil/Mil. I have heard good things about them. I get mine in August.

FMJBT
06-06-2012, 3:26 PM
Yeah, I seem to remember those Dork Ops....errr....Dark Ops scopes being pretty well recieved over on Snipers Hide. Or something like that.

OP, I'd suggest taking a look at TPS rings and bases.
http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounts-C2705.aspx
Extremely high quality peices that are quite a bit less than Seekins or Badger. Saving some money on mounts might free some of the budget up for optics, although $600.00 is plenty for a decent scope.

Find something with a mil dot reticle and plenty of elevation and windage adjustment, because eventually the long range bug will bite :D

Cypriss32
06-06-2012, 3:45 PM
Yeah, I seem to remember those Dork Ops....errr....Dark Ops scopes being pretty well recieved over on Snipers Hide. Or something like that.

OP, I'd suggest taking a look at TPS rings and bases.
http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounts-C2705.aspx
Extremely high quality peices that are quite a bit less than Seekins or Badger. Saving some money on mounts might free some of the budget up for optics, although $600.00 is plenty for a decent scope.

Find something with a mil dot reticle and plenty of elevation and windage adjustment, because eventually the long range bug will bite :D

No they were NOT liked.........

wjc
06-06-2012, 3:53 PM
To da OP...

Any 3-9x40mm should work for you. It's good for 100yd bench shooting and most "average" hunting applications.

xoutxkastx
06-06-2012, 4:02 PM
Vortex Viper HS

+1 on the vortex viper. My 1st scope on my remy 700 was the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 and with Vortex ring came out to $200 shipped from SWFA. The Viper is a higher model and have a buddy that consistently hits 1000yards with that scope. Based on the distance you may be happy with a 3x9x40 scope and in your price range you can either buy a very nice used one or good new one. Either one you'll be happy. I got a used Leopold VX 3x9x40 for $100 and added leopold rings for $100 (new) on my JP rifle while saving up for a higher power & better quality scope.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/nismo-33/photo1-2.jpg

acehigh65
06-06-2012, 4:06 PM
Super sniper makes an awesome 3-9

BANG BANG
06-06-2012, 4:10 PM
Thanks to all that replied so far.. so looks like a 3x9x40 scope should be fine for my purposes. I really don't want to move to another scope so I am trying to buy once for my application hence the $600 range scope.

Looks like Leopold is the front runner for now. I am interested in the VXR series with illumination. (Firedot) I believe.

SWFA is a close 2nd choice

I wish I had a local range that goes past 100 Yards, but Sac Valley is the only range
that does and is too far for me.

ZX-10R
06-06-2012, 4:19 PM
Millett LRS-1.

gmcal
06-06-2012, 4:23 PM
I have a Leupold VXR patrol 1.25-4 and glass is very nice. Adjustments are spot on. Very nice line of scopes. I also own a Viper PST 4-16, either the VXR or Vortex would likely serve you well.

FMJBT
06-06-2012, 6:23 PM
No they were NOT liked.........

Lol, my sarcasm never seems to get across well enough on the internets.

Droppin Deuces
06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
For another $100 or so you could pick up a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR(Mil/Mil, FFP). I would put it up against anything in the ~$1000+ range. A little bit of research reveals that they are made in Japan by Light Optical Works, who also makes some of Bushnell's higher-end offerings as well as some Nightforce models. It is one badass mofo of a scope for the money. I'm pretty surprised not a lot of people have picked up on these yet.

BANG BANG
06-07-2012, 2:28 PM
For another $100 or so you could pick up a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR(Mil/Mil, FFP). I would put it up against anything in the ~$1000+ range. A little bit of research reveals that they are made in Japan by Light Optical Works, who also makes some of Bushnell's higher-end offerings as well as some Nightforce models. It is one badass mofo of a scope for the money. I'm pretty surprised not a lot of people have picked up on these yet.

Another 100 or so ... hmmm I will look at this one too

Guapoh
06-07-2012, 2:53 PM
I shoot and love my Nikon Monarch BDC 4.5-15SF on my 308 Remmy 700 VSF. That was around $500 IRRC.

BANG BANG
06-08-2012, 9:58 AM
I think 4 power is the max to go with, after some research.

gmcal
06-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Max 4x around $600, once again vortex pst or leupold vxr. My vxr has really clear glass.

ETA: I think you may regret not getting more magnification later on. If you're concerned about size/weight there are 2-7 and 3-9 scopes that don't weigh much more than a 4x scope.

daveinwoodland
06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Don't miss at least checking the new Redfields. You get allot of scope for the money and they're made by Leupold.

BANG BANG
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Don't miss at least checking the new Redfields. You get allot of scope for the money and they're made by Leupold.

funny you mention. I was looking at the Revolution series just earlier

3x9 power

BANG BANG
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Max 4x around $600, once again vortex pst or leupold vxr. My vxr has really clear glass.

ETA: I think you may regret not getting more magnification later on. If you're concerned about size/weight there are 2-7 and 3-9 scopes that don't weigh much more than a 4x scope.

did you mean there are 4x power scopes that do not weigh much more than 2-7 or 3-9 power scopes?

not the other way around?

BANG BANG
06-10-2012, 11:17 PM
And can people chime in if you must bed a one piece scope base?

Latigo
06-11-2012, 4:43 AM

^^ This^^
Either way, that's one of the better marketing ploys I've ever seen. :D
And just a note. All the top enders use Schott Glass.

Latigo
06-11-2012, 4:56 AM
OP, this is one we have a lot of confidence in. (we = shop personell)
http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d19.html

Her it is mounted on an issue zfk55 Swiss Sniper. Dad uses this from 100 to 500 yards, though it's actually rated to 1,000. Schott glass. All reviews are solid and places it right up with US Optics and Schmidt & Bender.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/zfk55IOR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/zfk55IOR10-1.jpg

BANG BANG
06-11-2012, 2:38 PM
LATIGO .. what model is the one in your pic?

I see a 10x42 model but retail is 799.00 I am trying to stay under $600.00

BANG BANG
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
2nd question added below

Seriously, I have done searches. read up on threads, and still need some advice

The rifle : Rem 700 SPS tactical AAC (still in jail)

The use: bench shooting and some deer and pig hunting (not often though)

The budget: $600.00 ish for scope only

part 2

New question .. I was reading that you should / or must bed a one piece scope base?

Was looking at a Seekins or LaRue base

See part 2 question/ thoughts?

BANG BANG
06-21-2012, 9:54 AM
Found a good deal on a Trijicon 3x9..

Opinions?

trigger hippie
06-21-2012, 7:45 PM
Tagged, nice thread.

I actually ordered and returned a Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x.

I really liked the build quality. Lit reticle is also amazingly nice, and it's automatic. Trijicon fiber optics are legendary as well, and it looks like they learned their lessons from the ACOGs cracking after use and enclosed the fiber optic leads in the AccuPoints.

However, there were some flaws I noticed that made me return it - big one is, no parallax adjustment. Assuming your parallax is set at 100 which is I think standard on the AccuPoint you start to get progressively larger circular probability of error - someone on ARF did the math but it's dishearteningly high, enough to make me drop the extra money on a 4-16 with parallax.

Also, the 3-9 AccuPoints are second focal plane. The reticles remain constant size as you increase/decrease magnification. Thus, for instance, on the German #4 which I looked at, the posts were like 1 mil wide at 100m but 3.9 mils wide at 25m. Having to do the magnification math like that makes it a pain to figure out corrections and holds.

The AccuPoint, like the RMR, also suffers from problems with dim reticles when you are in a dim environment and looking at a brighter object - this is why I returned an RMR as well. The fiber optics depend on ambient light to set the amount of illumination the reticle gets - if it's dim around you, guess what, the reticle will be dim too. I suppose it's not as large a problem on the AccuPoint because the dot wouldn't be your primary aiming point in the scope, but it was irritating enough to me to want to not deal with it.

I think the Vortex that people mentioned was first focal plane - with a nice mil dot reticle and hopefully a version with parallax you could be good out to several hundred yards at least, I'd think.

If you watch the Magpul Precision Rifle video, you'll see people making 9" groups at ~900 yards with .308 ammo and a rifle not unlike yours - good glass, a ballistics calculator and good wind calls make all the difference. A scope with higher magnification will let you really reach out to the maximum limits of .308.

trigger hippie
06-21-2012, 7:54 PM
Also, considered the Horus Hawk 3-9? It comes with the crazy reticle of your choice. The TreMoR 2 reticle is calibrated for wind calls with .308. No parallax adjustment, however, but if you're taking hunting shots inside 200 yds I suppose my parallax hysteria is unwarranted as error at that range is well within animal vital zone radii...

Short Action Precision
06-21-2012, 8:03 PM
About bedding a one piece scope base. I have mounted several bases on several guns in the past few years. Only once have I bedded a base. Only reason was because when you mounted the base there was a gap. That was an older model Rem 700. More then likely you will not have to bed the base.

BANG BANG
06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Also, considered the Horus Hawk 3-9? It comes with the crazy reticle of your choice. The TreMoR 2 reticle is calibrated for wind calls with .308. No parallax adjustment, however, but if you're taking hunting shots inside 200 yds I suppose my parallax hysteria is unwarranted as error at that range is well within animal vital zone radii...

trigger hippie.. thanks for the input, as I mentioned 95% of my shooting with this rig will be bench to 200 yards ( my max at local ranges )

I am looking at 3x9 / 4x16 and even 5x20 variable power scopes

Vortex was my first choice but they are on back ordered every where!

SWFA is second choice right now

About bedding a one piece scope base. I have mounted several bases on several guns in the past few years. Only once have I bedded a base. Only reason was because when you mounted the base there was a gap. That was an older model Rem 700. More then likely you will not have to bed the base.

Short Action Precision .. thank you very much on the bedding answer

BANG BANG
06-23-2012, 5:47 PM
Vortex viper......... 5-15x goes for 499.99 Its Mil/Mil. I have heard good things about them. I get mine in August.

Can't wait 2 months though !!