PDA

View Full Version : Potential Rem. 870 project, unsure on legality

onetruescotty
06-06-2012, 2:18 PM
So I've read the guide to AOW/C&R SBS here on calguns, but I still have a couple of questions.

Basically, I want to build the top shotgun in this picture:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m568shpgQe1qzp45xo1_500.jpg

Could I do this, if I started with a stripped 870 receiver (never assembled) and built it from the ground up as an AOW Short-barreled shotgun? Obviously I would have to do the tax stamp/contact the BATFE. When I was talking to my FFL about this, he seemed to think that there was no possible way I could do it legally.

Thanks for looking, sorry for the noob post

CK_32
06-06-2012, 2:26 PM
Possible if you get all the legal stuff taken care of.

A lot of shop working don't know half of anything about guns accept what it says on the info card hanging from the gun sometimes. And even if they do it looks bad on them telling you it's legal and get something wrong and you get busted.

Here is some more info you should probably take a look at.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693

onetruescotty
06-06-2012, 2:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, and I looked through that thread (which is where my confusion stemmed from, the discrepancy between my FFL and the information in the thread). So, I would fill out duplicate Form 1's with fingerprints and Photos and submit them. Now for these photos, what do those entail?

Edit to add: do I submit my Form 1's after I assemble the shotgun? Seems like that means I have an illegal shotgun for a while

CK_32
06-06-2012, 3:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure I just know it is difficult but still possible upon filling out and being cleared to do so after legal papers. All that's too much of a head ache for me so I just know the basics to not get me in trouble and leave it at that. To much grey area to bother knowing the ways around that stuff IMO.

But someone will probably be along shortly to answer if not try asking this over in the legal section.

slick_711
06-06-2012, 3:10 PM
You could possibly get by with it if you find a C&R shotgun and register it as an SBS, but you need to talk to some of the CA specific NFA educated Calgunners. I remember there being an NFA exemption for C&R firearms in CA but I think there had to be evidence of it being a "historical" configuration, I cannot speak with any certainty to that.

What I can speak with certainty to is that your suggested plan is a no-go in CA. The shotgun in your picture is not an AOW, it is a short barreled shotgun. There two terms are not interchangeable, and an AOW cannot have a stock.

If the C&R thing pans out and you find a C&R eligible receiver to use as a starting place, the form 1 needs to be submitted before you assemble the shotgun or take possession of a barrel shorter than 18". The photos just need to be passport style photos, swing by your local Post Office or pharmacy for a set.

An AOW is $5 to register and can be a new receiver, but it cannot have a stock. You may find it easier to go that route and have a short barrel with dual pistol grips. Personally I prefer to have a stock, but since the tax stamp for an SBS is $200 and it may not be possible in CA... may be better to settle for an AOW.

ETA: I looked into it to make sure I wasn't giving bad advice... your options are basically to find an existing C&R SBS that is close to what you want and transfer it in via form 4 or to buy (form 4) or build (form 1) a new AOW (again, AOW cannot have a stock). The link CK32 posted above contains all the pertinent information if you want the legal codes and further reading.

Bobula
06-06-2012, 3:30 PM
Tag

onetruescotty
06-06-2012, 4:57 PM
What I can speak with certainty to is that your suggested plan is a no-go in CA. The shotgun in your picture is not an AOW, it is a short barreled shotgun. There two terms are not interchangeable, and an AOW cannot have a stock.

This saddens me greatly, but thanks for the informed response. Maybe I'll look at some other options then I suppose

The Original Godfather
06-06-2012, 5:10 PM
Would it be legal if it was registered as an AOW, and took the stock off and put on say a birdshead grip?

slick_711
06-06-2012, 5:21 PM
This saddens me greatly, but thanks for the informed response. Maybe I'll look at some other options then I suppose

http://bit.ly/LszbO1

...Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for you.

An AOW shotgun can be fun to shoot, but not particularly useful. I understand your disappointment, it's not the same without the stock. I plan to eventually build something along the same lines as the picture you posted, but with a slightly shorter LOP on the stock. Being broke sucks. :o

Would it be legal if it was registered as an AOW, and took the stock off and put on say a birdshead grip?

It would be legal if it had a bird's head grip instead of a stock, but to be an AOW it has to have never had a stock to begin with, so you would have to build it on a virgin receiver or buy it from the factory.

Ubermcoupe
06-06-2012, 5:43 PM
The issue with getting an SBS is finding one that is C&R eligible.

IIRC, You will need a Dangerous Weapons Permit from CADOJ in order to get ATF approval for a stamp or you need to find a way to usurp the DWP.

There are two known ways:

Trust/AOW or C&R eligible SBS/SBRs

The ATF ruled that cutting the barrel down invalidates its’ C&R status, and since the CA DOJ wont issue DWP you (and all of us) are kind of stuck.