PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 16s - Should I go Featurless?

JUm3
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I was playing around with the idea of going featurless for a while. I tried it out with the pistol grip i have now and just didn't wrap my hand around it. I found that the middle of my index finger would touch the trigger - than the finger tip.

I'd like to get this done before i jump into a class. Has anyone run this in a shooting class? Any opinions on shooting styles and any hinderences.

Also, as I was going through the flowchart, it mentioned I could not have a telescoping stock. Does that mean the length of the stock cannot be adjusted? And how would I go about blocking it and making it reversable?

Thanks.

jsipe007
06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
adjustable stock and telescoping are two completely different concepts. I believe telescoping is when the stock retracts, in a sense allowing the weapon to be fired as a pistol of sorts. As for the other stuff, sorry but i cant help much there. Good luck! :)

Yemff
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
if your stock folds or is telescoping it will need a bullet button, I think a lot of people pin their scar stocks for OAL reasons so it shouldn't be hard to do.

m03
06-06-2012, 2:21 PM
To block it from telescoping, all you need to do is pull off the rear pad and cram a block behind the button for the telescoping section. Super easy to do, and easy to reverse.

You also need to replace the factory PWS FSC556 brake, as I believe this is marketed as a flash-hider by the manufacturer.

MrPlink
06-06-2012, 3:54 PM
Yep, the pws has gotta go.

Im considering going featureless my scar17, I really cant stand mag locks. Then again, given what it costs to feed a 308 these days maybe taking more time between firing isnt such a bad thing.

Knife Edge
06-06-2012, 8:56 PM
SCAR and featureless shall never be used in the same sentence. If one should go that way, "May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead."

Move first....

MrPlink
06-06-2012, 9:45 PM
SCAR and featureless shall never be used in the same sentence. If one should go that way, "May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead."

Move first....

given the ambi controls, it could make a lot of sense to really take advantage for a lefty (which Im not).

Would also make more sense for a 16 where one may have pre-ban USGI mags to use with it.

I mean what are you really giving up? Already cant folt the stock (unless you have goof troop extension) whats the big deal about setting in a position that you favor and leaving it there?

Yeah, the PWS is nice, but the gun is plenty nice without it.
All you really lose is the PG

JUm3
06-07-2012, 1:47 PM
Well I already ditched the pws the moment i bought it for a Battlecomp. So that's checked off.. I'm going to play around with the collapsable stock tonight.

any idea where I might pick up a the grip made for the scar? I have the stock grip lying around as I had already replaced it with a ergo. Should i just send it in and get a custom kydex?

jpm804
06-07-2012, 3:03 PM
Well I already ditched the pws the moment i bought it for a Battlecomp. So that's checked off.. I'm going to play around with the collapsable stock tonight.

any idea where I might pick up a the grip made for the scar? I have the stock grip lying around as I had already replaced it with a ergo. Should i just send it in and get a custom kydex?

I believe solar tactical makes a grip for the scar to make it featureless.

Also I'm not sure if the battlecomp would qualify for a muzzlebreak since it's a comp which is basically a muzzle/flash device. I might be wrong , but hopefully others can chime in on this...

MrPlink
06-07-2012, 7:47 PM
I believe solar tactical makes a grip for the scar to make it featureless.

Also I'm not sure if the battlecomp would qualify for a muzzlebreak since it's a comp which is basically a muzzle/flash device. I might be wrong , but hopefully others can chime in on this...

there are issues with using the BC on a featureless, do a search. Been discussed a lot.

morthrane
06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I'd like to see what a scar looks like with a monsterman(-style) grip.

Knife Edge
06-08-2012, 4:40 AM
I'd like to see what a scar looks like with a monsterman(-style) grip.

Go away...,

bender152
06-08-2012, 8:53 AM
My SCAR has been setup featureless from the start. I've never felt the need to switch over to a standard pistol grip, especially since I can drop mags freely and use my pre-bans.

If you plan on using your SCAR in a class, going featureless is almost a must. Manipulating a mag lock during a class sucks.

there are issues with using the BC on a featureless, do a search. Been discussed a lot.

+1 Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

SCAR and featureless shall never be used in the same sentence.

Beacuse it's all about looks, right? Form over function?

SuperSet
06-08-2012, 9:13 AM
If I had one, for sure, it'd be featureless for the reasons above.

OliveBranch
06-08-2012, 10:28 AM
I thought the pws was classified as a non flash suppressing compensator by the atf on their sales page atleast http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9&idcategory=6

I believe you can find the actual letter from the ATF on there just wondering if im doing it wrong or if there is some other group or list i have to go through and if so where can i find a list of approved items thanks in advance

pc_load_letter
06-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, Battlecomp is no go. I picked up the nice Spikes Dynacomp, found here....http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/muzzle-device-spikes-dynacomp-short-556-p-722.html

It's about half the price of the BC and works just as well. Tons of youtube videos comparing the two.

Anyways, I love going featureless on my SCAR. Not sure what Knife Edge's deal is. With the ambi controls, it's easy to manipulate the selector switch and dropping mags is cool.

I picked up the Solar Tactical wrap from a lgs. Works great.

As others have said, you can easily remove the butt pad and drop in a block for the button. Secure with some simple glue to make it "permanent" but still weak enough to pop out if you want.

JUm3
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
thanks for the info guys.. Man I was really hoping to not have to buy another brake...

pc_load_letter
06-08-2012, 1:29 PM
thanks for the info guys.. Man I was really hoping to not have to buy another brake...

Meh, plenty of non featureless builds out there. Shouldn't have any problem selling it if that's what you wanted to do.

bender152
06-08-2012, 1:48 PM
Yes, Battlecomp is no go. I picked up the nice Spikes Dynacomp.

I'm actually using that same comp. Been very happy with it.

advan031
06-08-2012, 2:39 PM
My plan is to just carry 30 SCARs and I would just dump each one after 10rds therefore I won't deal with the bullet button and still look cool...lol

MrPlink
06-08-2012, 3:54 PM
I thought the pws was classified as a non flash suppressing compensator by the atf on their sales page atleast http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9&idcategory=6

I believe you can find the actual letter from the ATF on there just wondering if im doing it wrong or if there is some other group or list i have to go through and if so where can i find a list of approved items thanks in advance

so what? ATF does not have a problem with centerfire rifle with "evil features" and detachable 11plus rd mags either. What is your point?

OliveBranch
06-08-2012, 10:13 PM
What is your point?

They claim that " removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces" guess i was wrong no need to be angry bout it just trying to figure this all out.

AlexDD
06-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Check out his write up on featureless comps by a Calguns member

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14Sc8MNP9AO6JgHxcnqm5oR45LDLIhpqeBHsCN8-K4XU&pli=1

mrvash
06-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm going featureless on my AR, so I'm going to vote "yes" on your decision to go featureless OP. Plus, that way you can take advantage of the SCAR's ergonomics :D

Knife Edge
06-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Fine, whatever you do, please DON'T post any photos.

Jk