PDA

View Full Version : Rear BUIS zeroes at far right, Canted Gas block? Worth Fixing?

sharxbyte
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
So I did some Google Fu, and have come to the conclusion that the reason my BUIS windage is at far right when zeroed, is that the (railed) Gas Block is canted. Since it's clamped and not pinned, It SHOULDN'T be too much of an issue to remedy it. My questions are as follows:

Is it even worth it, besides that it bugs me to look at the aperture at far right and not centered? Will it have that much impact on the rifle's accuracy?

Wouldn't adjusting the angle of the gas block potentially effect cycling of the weapon by changing the flow of gas?

Someone on Florida shooters Network suggested tapping it to the side with a mallet and seeing if that did the trick, but as you can imagine I'm a little hesitant to bang on it..(HERE (http://www.floridashootersnetwork.com/canted-front-sight-t93900.html#p748620))

So loosen it up and shift it slightly next time I'm at the range until it is zeroed at (or near) center? or leave it alone:confused:

Would appreciate input.

Merc1138
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
The port on the gas block should be larger than the port on the barrel. If it's just a clamp on block, wouldn't hurt to fix it yourself, and then if it does end up cycling funny, put it back the way it was.

jsipe007
06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Which company did you get the upper through? personally I'd try gentrly shifting the gas block and seeing if you can get it yourself. If you cant get it, I'd probably send it back to the company.

sharxbyte
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Got it from SOTA. They've been excellent so far with communication as well as replacing the bolt I had malfunction. I'll try shifting it slightly and see how it works.

jsipe007
06-06-2012, 1:16 PM
That would be my go to. If that doesn't work, It could get a bit more involved. Id just be careful not to mar it too much and hope for the best. In the off-chance that aligning it doesnt work, you could always send it back. The delay is killer though lol i understand not wanting to send it back!

nitroxdiver
06-06-2012, 3:03 PM
It doesnt take much of a cant to really throw off your windage zero. If you are able to loosen the gas block and adjust it yourself, I'd definately try it. You should only have to move it a tiny bit. I had a DD upper once with a slightly misaligned FSB. Had to use a straight edge to even see it. Sure enough though, my windage was way over to get it zeroed. Good luck.

LAL6
06-06-2012, 3:10 PM
It doesnt take much of a cant to really throw off your windage zero. If you are able to loosen the gas block and adjust it yourself, I'd definately try it. You should only have to move it a tiny bit. I had a DD upper once with a slightly misaligned FSB. Had to use a straight edge to even see it. Sure enough though, my windage was way over to get it zeroed. Good luck.

How did you use the straight edge to measure? I have a FSB that I think may be a little to the left, but not enough to be noticeable when eyeballing. If I take my aimpoint off a different rifle and put it on this one, the dot is much farther to the right of the front sight post.

The rifle is definitely shooting far to the right.

motorwerks
06-06-2012, 4:31 PM
if its clamp on..... why are we still talking about this. Take some Allen wrenches to the range and move it. It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes. end/thread. :D

nitroxdiver
06-06-2012, 9:42 PM
How did you use the straight edge to measure? I have a FSB that I think may be a little to the left, but not enough to be noticeable when eyeballing. If I take my aimpoint off a different rifle and put it on this one, the dot is much farther to the right of the front sight post.

The rifle is definitely shooting far to the right.

Line it up with your bare upper reciever flat top rail. Several ways you can do it. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean. Mine was canted left (shooters perspective). Returned to DD for replacement.

CIV Tactical
06-06-2012, 11:13 PM
also as far as accuracy goes, even if your a few thousandths untrue it will add up over distance.