PDA

View Full Version : 11 day wait period?!

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 4:17 AM
New local store opened up and they make you wait 11 days!!! Is that legal? I feel like if you've already paid for the firearm, exactly 240 hours from purchase it is now yours. I also feel like CA has strict enough gun laws and 10 days is more than a long enough wait. Kinda weird that our own people are pushing wait period out even further than CA makes them. Seems ridiculous. I know it's only one extra day, but I sure won't be purchasing from there.

Milsurps
06-06-2012, 4:40 AM
I know it's only one extra day, but I sure won't be purchasing from there.

Yes it's legal. It's also a question :beatdeadhorse5: here. :rolleyes:

You answered your own question nicely. :p

fizux
06-06-2012, 4:43 AM
It seems pretty common with dealers around here - allegedly it makes the DOJ surprise inspections easier if they don't spend a bunch of time arguing and counting out 240 hours for each pickup made exactly 10 days later. (yes, we know the time is printed right on the DROS form)

My last "day 11" pushed me into the Sunday (closed) before Memorial Day (also closed), so I had a 13 day wait as a result of DOJ's irrationally aggressive enforcement of a ridiculous statute.

The illicit dealers seem not to tack on the extra day. By 240 hours, they don't even remember who they sold it to.

But see this article:
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/news-blog/press/197-calguns-foundation-sues-california-over-firearms-waiting-period-.html

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 4:48 AM
Thanks guys, I had never heard of this before. Every store I had been into follows the 10 days. So I was pretty shocked wen this place told me 11.

And on that article- when is that being heard? Or has it been?

Zartan
06-06-2012, 5:05 AM
What shop is this?

I've been told you can pick it up this day at "anytime". Yea, cuz I waited an extra day! Other shops have said "you can pick it up anytime after such and such time" I remember I picked up my S12 from Valkyrie and we stood there until 3:12pm on the 10th day bsing, and when the clock struck, he said, cool, have a good day.

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 5:10 AM
What shop is this?

I've been told you can pick it up this day at "anytime". Yea, cuz I waited an extra day! Other shops have said "you can pick it up anytime after such and such time" I remember I picked up my S12 from Valkyrie and we stood there until 3:12pm on the 10th day bsing, and when the clock struck, he said, cool, have a good day.

Steelwater Firearms in Temecula. I did the same thing at faith. Just hung out till the minute it hit 240 hours. Basically SW makes you wait 264 hours instead of 240.

fizux
06-06-2012, 5:12 AM
And on that article- when is that being heard? Or has it been?

"Two weeks."
In reality, they take forever. Cross-motions for summary judgment, followed by appeals to the Cal. S.Ct. (or maybe SCOTUS), stays for Nordyke XLVI, et cetera.

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 5:15 AM
"Two weeks."
In reality, they take forever. Cross-motions for summary judgment, followed by appeals to the Cal. S.Ct. (or maybe SCOTUS), stays for Nordyke XLVI, et cetera.

Well, At least something is being done. Very cool. We can only hope for the best.

Hopalong
06-06-2012, 5:48 AM
Patience, grasshopper.

Don't sweat the small stuff

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 5:53 AM
Patience, grasshopper.

Don't sweat the small stuff

When it comes to waiting for my new toy, my patience goes flyin' out the window!! Haha!

Vacaville
06-06-2012, 6:41 AM
Big 5 always makes you wait 11 days too. It makes it easier on lame clerks who apparently aren't intelligent enough to look at a clock.

Capybara
06-06-2012, 6:54 AM
Yep, just picked up my 1942 MOSIN, an ancient bolt action antique, from Big 5, on day 11. Doesn't it seem ridiculous that I can sell my Mosin to you, cash and carry, yet when I go to the place that is going to do it officially, I have to wait 11 days? Just another systematic harassment from our overlords up north.

daybreak
06-06-2012, 7:26 AM
I would still shop somewhere that made you pick up on day 11. I have other guns meanwhile. It is annoying, but if the shop is great otherwise then oh well.

Guns Direct in Burbank let me countdown in the store to the very second my 240 hours were up and let me be on my way. Cool dudes.

CaliforniaLiberal
06-06-2012, 7:09 PM
New local store opened up and they make you wait 11 days!!! Is that legal? I feel like if you've already paid for the firearm, exactly 240 hours from purchase it is now yours. I also feel like CA has strict enough gun laws and 10 days is more than a long enough wait. Kinda weird that our own people are pushing wait period out even further than CA makes them. Seems ridiculous. I know it's only one extra day, but I sure won't be purchasing from there.

Get over it.

Many dozens of threads starting with this question. People get crazy over this. One guy claimed it was legal for him to break into Big 5 because they were illegally keeping his gun.

11 day waiting period ensures that the gun dealer won't accidentally release the gun too early and have the ATF and the CA DOJ coming down hard, shutting down his business and putting him in jail.

Just take note of the pick up time when you buy the gun so you're not surprised.

And don't pet the sweaty stuff.

MrExel17
06-06-2012, 8:38 PM
When it comes to waiting for my new toy, my patience goes flyin' out the window!! Haha!

I'm with you bro, but you can only do so much. There store the policies. After a couple of long guns and pistol you "kinda" get used to it. Take the 11 days to buy ammo, accessories, etc...Congrats BTW

drifter2be
06-06-2012, 9:11 PM
Steelwater Firearms in Temecula. I did the same thing at faith. Just hung out till the minute it hit 240 hours. Basically SW makes you wait 264 hours instead of 240.

Figures. Their prices are already higher than the prices at Faith Armory and The Shootist AND they instituted one of those stupid 11 day policies? Good thing I didn't go through them when I wanted to buy my 1911.

cindynles
06-06-2012, 9:36 PM
Steelwater is doing some serious FUD spewing. I went in there a couple of weeks ago to pick up some reloading components and they insisted they needed to swipe my ID for a box of bullets. When I asked why they said state and fed law. When I called the guy out on it and said I would be happy to go around the corner to Faith, another employee came over and rang me up without ID.

I was polite, but I told the second employee that this is the kind of thing that will kill his business. Most gun store customers around here know the law very well, and we are not going to put up with stupid FUD and prices higher than MSRP.

MMA
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Legal? They can make you wait a month if they want. Many places are paranoid about losing their FFL, so they err on the side of caution.

Don't like it? get your own FFL(01).

and how bad is it, really, to wait an extra day?

fizux
06-07-2012, 6:59 AM

I would, if it were possible. I live and work in San Francisco. 01 FFLs need a business licence from the local jurisdiction that authorizes the retail sales of firearms.

SWAT.Medic
06-07-2012, 7:16 AM
Fizux...thanks for posting that link. The lawsuit is well prepared and matter of fact and unemotional. I pray that the court will see the foolishness of the 10 day wait period and urge legislators to adopt the instant background check system. The CAFS has to be a financial burden on our state and it's jettison would surely benefit the budget imbalance. 21st century, it shouldn't take 10 days to check someone out.

I just bought a Tikka for my 12 year old son...it was hard explaining to him that we had to wait for over a week to bring it home. Thanks Cal Guns for taking the time and expense to bring common sense to California.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mdxnxt

xmattedgex
06-07-2012, 7:26 AM
11 day waiting period ensures that the gun dealer won't accidentally release the gun too early and have the ATF and the CA DOJ coming down hard, shutting down his business and putting him in jail.

Don't be stupid, if you can't figure out when 10 days is up, maybe you shouldn't be a dealer in the first place....plenty of dealers follow the 10 wait without a problem. 2 of which are within a couple miles of this place.

Figures. Their prices are already higher than the prices at Faith Armory and The Shootist AND they instituted one of those stupid 11 day policies? Good thing I didn't go through them when I wanted to buy my 1911.

I see I found a local. Yup, I go to faith or the shootist as well, I wasn't too impressed by this store or it's prices.

Steelwater is doing some serious FUD spewing. I went in there a couple of weeks ago to pick up some reloading components and they insisted they needed to swipe my ID for a box of bullets. When I asked why they said state and fed law. When I called the guy out on it and said I would be happy to go around the corner to Faith, another employee came over and rang me up without ID.

I was polite, but I told the second employee that this is the kind of thing that will kill his business. Most gun store customers around here know the law very well, and we are not going to put up with stupid FUD and prices higher than MSRP.

Wow. Now I definitely won't shop there.

Legal? They can make you wait a month if they want. Many places are paranoid about losing their FFL, so they err on the side of caution.

Word on the street is they aren't giving out ffls to people just doin it out of their home.

cindynles
06-07-2012, 8:52 AM

I think the point is that Faith Armory is less than a block away, has better prices, and actually knows the law. I tried to support their shop because it is new and local, but high prices + FUD + limited selection makes it hard to justify.

Big 5 gets a pass on the 11 day wait because of their sale prices. Turners gets a pass on their FUD because of prices and selection. If Steelwater wants to stay in business they are going to have to come up with some way to bring in business. Telling me they have to swipe my ID to buy reloading components or making buyers wait 11 days while charging prices above MSRP is not the path to prosperity.

winnre
06-07-2012, 8:58 AM
Cold War Shooters took 15 days when I bought my MP15. They told me this AFTER the paperwork was started. They blamed it on some internal ATF paperwork and license renewal stuff. Sort of lie trying to buy gas during a shift change. Drama.

xmattedgex
06-07-2012, 9:02 AM
I think the point is that Faith Armory is less than a block away, has better prices, and actually knows the law. I tried to support their shop because it is new and local, but high prices + FUD + limited selection makes it hard to justify.

Big 5 gets a pass on the 11 day wait because of their sale prices. Turners gets a pass on their FUD because of prices and selection. If Steelwater wants to stay in business they are going to have to come up with some way to bring in business. Telling me they have to swipe my ID to buy reloading components or making buyers wait 11 days while charging prices above MSRP is not the path to prosperity.

Exactly

CS25
06-07-2012, 10:16 AM
If you dont like their rules/terms then don't go. Take your business somewhere else.

FalconLair
06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
If you dont like their rules/terms then don't go. Take your business somewhere else.

agreed, unless they are bringing something to the table which makes the extra wait worth your while, i'd say find another source for your business

personally, I dont hold my guns in such valor, as some of you gun guys do, so waiting for me is no problem, if the price is right and the terms are to my liking, i wouldnt care about waiting, especially since we are talking ONE day, other than that, I pretty much go for the best deal I can find

xmattedgex
06-07-2012, 4:34 PM

Yup

Ar_Glock_Man
06-07-2012, 4:49 PM
bass pro shop in rancho has an 11 day wait too. they just make you wait an extra day any time its easier for then to deal with the time of pick-up just make you pick up next day.

kemasa
06-07-2012, 5:08 PM
New local store opened up and they make you wait 11 days!!! Is that legal?

It is legal. The FFL can deliver the firearm anywhere between 10-30 days.

I feel like if you've already paid for the firearm, exactly 240 hours from purchase it is now yours.

You can feel anything you want, but the fact is that it is not your firearm until all the paperwork is done and the paperwork is not done until the FFL finishes it. A place is not going to open up just because your waiting period is over.

I also feel like CA has strict enough gun laws and 10 days is more than a long enough wait.

Yep.

Kinda weird that our own people are pushing wait period out even further than CA makes them.

Not really. It ensures that a mistake is not made. It is far worse for the FFL to release a firearm early than for a customer to wait. It is not that difficult for the FFL to determine the actual time it can be released. I wrote a simple program to determine the date, but it would be far better if the DROS had the time periods on it.

Seems ridiculous. I know it's only one extra day, but I sure won't be purchasing from there.

That is your choice and you should tell them why so perhaps they will reconsider their decision, but I will say it is easy to make a mistake. It is not like you can go to the DROS system and check to see if it is ok to release, so it is a manual process.

2shotjoe
06-07-2012, 5:10 PM
standard for big box stores like Big5, ask them when you can pick it up and they will say, "ten days starting tomorrow".

Steelwater
06-18-2012, 5:44 PM

Hello,

As the owner of SteelwateR Firearms, I can assure you that we have never stopped anyone from picking up their firearm after the 240 hours are up. Our 11 day policy is a guideline to help customers who may come in too early and have to wait several hours before their 240 hours expires (which has happened several times). Should a customer come in on the 10th day after the 240 hours have passed, we will gladly release the firearm. As a side note, if you check our prices you will see that we are always under MSRP.

Thanks.