PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun noobie

Flowmini98
06-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Ive shot 12g remmy, and Saigas but never owned one for myself. I would prefer to have 1 shotgun but be able to do multiple things with it:
-home defense (main purpose)
-fun outdoor crap (clays,possible hunting on occasion, secondary purpose)

What gun would fit this category? pistol grip, non pistol grip, barrel length?

CK_32
06-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Any off the shelf shotgun will work. Skeet and trap isn't really for pistol grip. Get 2 barrels for both 20" below is HD and some ranges require 26"+ to shoot trap/skeet.

Get like an express magnum and another barrel and you should be fine.

AAShooter
06-06-2012, 12:14 AM
You describe a pretty difficult situation to give an ideal solution. It is kind of like saying you want a vehicle for 8 people that gets 35 miles/gallon, corners well, has fast acceleration, 4-wheel drive and tows a fifth wheel. You will have to compromise.

That said, I would look at a pump gun. The Remington 870 is probably the top selling shotgun annually for the past 50 years. You can usually get it fixed anyway. Parts and add-ons are readily available to modify it for just about any purpose.

The Mossberg 500/590 is a good alternative. Some folks like the Mossberg combo package that provides a sporting barrel as well as a home defense barrel. Neither configuration will be ideal for shooting clays.

As far as pistol grip, I would not own a shotgun with a pistol grip only. A butt stock with integrated pistol grip works okay for a Remington but is pretty limited for a Mossberg due to safety placement. If you are serious about a Home Defense gun, you should consider a forestock with integrated light.

Flowmini98
06-06-2012, 12:19 AM
You describe a pretty difficult situation to give an ideal solution. It is kind of like saying you want a vehicle for 8 people that gets 35 miles/gallons, corners well, has fast acceleration, 4-wheel drive and tows a fifth wheel. You will have to compromise.

Thats what I thought I might hear. Main purpose is HD, but if the opportunity came up to go shoot some clays or something I wouldnt mind doing that with the same gun( even if I have to swap barrels)

AAShooter
06-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Personally, I would suggest getting a basic hunting shotgun like the Remington 870 with a 28" barrel and call it good . . . a basic all around shotgun. If you want to get a short 18" - 20" barrel, probably better for home defense, especially for room clearing, etc. Of course if the primary use of the shotgun is for home defense, you might do better investing in a defensive shotgun course to build skills and understand what type of gun you need.

PoorRichRichard
06-06-2012, 12:28 AM
I would prefer to have 1 shotgun but be able to do multiple things with it... HA! Good luck with that! Once you buy one, you'll want another. I only own 5 right now, but have plans for at least 3 more...

epic1856
06-06-2012, 7:07 AM
HA! Good luck with that! Once you buy one, you'll want another. I only own 5 right now, but have plans for at least 3 more...

I know the feeling. Started off with one, now got four and and always thinking "I need another shotgun for...."

AAShooter
06-06-2012, 7:37 AM
I think the 870 has sold over 10 million of them and that was in 2009. You can never have enough shotguns.

TZL
06-06-2012, 9:11 AM
Mossberg 500 combo would be good, but it doesn't accept chokes for sporting clays

Jeepergeo
06-06-2012, 9:59 AM
Autoloader or pump, 12gauge. Plastic stock. No pistol grip.

GMANtt
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
You describe a pretty difficult situation to give an ideal solution. It is kind of like saying you want a vehicle for 8 people that gets 35 miles/gallon, corners well, has fast acceleration, 4-wheel drive and tows a fifth wheel. You will have to compromise.

Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru STi covers most of those categories. 4 people can squeeze in the trunk.

AAShooter
06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru STi covers most of those categories. 4 people can squeeze in the trunk.

:D:D

TZL
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Except 8 ppl and 35 mpg

4 ppl are tight and more like 15-17 mpg real world

CK_32
06-06-2012, 1:06 PM
I think you guys are being a little hard on the guy. He can easily have a primary HD tactical shot gun that can take some clays once every blue moon. Be fully sucsessfull doubtfull but possible. It's not like he's asking for a HD weapons with a world class clay gun with the same gun. In the right hands just about any shot gun can handle any application but is it ideal no but possible.

I've shot a few clays with a 18" (tactical type) shotgun before. Missed the first 50 but it's not impossible to do both roles with one simple shot gun and most of those misses are because I suck at clays to begin with. But I think he asked a legitimate question.

OP again it can be done with any shot gun but will be difficult if not set up for what your using obviously. But if you get a longer barrel/shorter to suit the application you should be fine. Just stay away from pistol grips and a ton of tactical crap all over the gun.

RayPDA
06-06-2012, 5:45 PM
If I were the OP and needed one shotgun for multiple roles (given the parameters described), I would pickup the following:

1. Remington 870 Wingmaster, new or used, with the standard walnut furniture and a 28" vent rib barrel (RemChoked).

2. 18"-20" Cylinder Bore Barrel (or Remchoked) - single brass bead or rifle sights.

3. Surefire forend with flashlight.

4. Jack West adjustable comb stock.

5. Extended (or flush) chokes in IC, LM, M, F

6. Forend wrench.

7. Side Saddle or some other way of holding a few extra rounds.

I figure with that, you're set up for almost anything - not to perfection, but perfectly acceptable....

Home Defense = Stock stock, Surefire forend, 18-20" bbl, side saddle.

Hunting: stock furniture, 28" barrel, and whatever choke you might need for whatever you're hunting.

Clays: Jack West stock, stock forend, 28", LM for Sporting, F for Trap, IC for skeet

It's like Lego!

acorn
06-06-2012, 9:08 PM
Remington Wingmaster (pump) or Beretta 390/391 (semi-auto), 28", removable chokes, wood or synthetic stocks. You can hunt or play any clay sports with these guns and believe it or not, I know it sounds crazy but you could actually defend you home/life with these as well.