PDA

View Full Version : Gas Rings Bent

SURVIVOR619
06-05-2012, 7:44 PM
Obviously this is not good.. 350 -400 rounds, with second session being about 175... Took apart to clean and I find this... (best pic I could get with cell)..

What's the cause?! I suspect this is a contributor to some of my feeding issues...

http://img.tapatalk.com/62b010c1-d206-6116.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk🔫

Panchira!
06-05-2012, 7:50 PM
Looks like the gas rings became dry and got hung up and bent out of shape. Keep them wet!

SURVIVOR619
06-05-2012, 8:01 PM
Second strike against frog lube!

And thanks for the advice panchira...

I'm still an AR gaijin...

Panchira!
06-05-2012, 8:21 PM
Welcome though I'm not 100% sure that is the cause of the issue. Could have been a pice of carbon. I know it's a PITA from what I heard to remove frog lube but I would do it and go to a standard lube (standard as in no special way to put it on just oil it up and go.) I do recommend slip 2000 ewl that is pretty darn good stuff! Also make sure the gas ring are lined up correctly (so the gaps are all offset from each other)

SURVIVOR619
06-05-2012, 8:31 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit scorned on the FL.. It seems ok on all my handguns, my 15-22, and my Saiga... Just with my AR...?

Not sure but once the rings are replaced I'll run it with regular oil and see how it goes...

And certainly, offset the rings...

FeuerFrei
06-05-2012, 8:38 PM
Gas rings blown out most likely due to being bent during oem install. Out of shape rings will go fast. The rings not being staggered, causing gas blow by is Internet BS.
Check the carrier's bore for any scoring before you install new rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Double Tap

818gtiguy
06-05-2012, 8:53 PM
As Panchira said, keep it wet. I use grease on my rings and an occasional couple of drops of oil in the exhaust ports of the bolt carrier. That works well for me. As for the rings, off setting the gaps is not necessary but it doesnt hurt. It will and should run on just one ring. Thats from my experience.

SURVIVOR619
06-05-2012, 9:34 PM
Gas rings blown out most likely due to being bent during oem install. Out of shape rings will go fast. The rings not being staggered, causing gas blow by is Internet BS.
Check the carrier's bore for any scoring before you install new rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Double Tap

Wow, never seen a suggestion to check a carrier's bore for scoring... Thank you!!

Survivor

G-forceJunkie
06-05-2012, 9:39 PM
I don't think its possable for the ring to get bent like that in normal use, there is not alot of clearance between the bolt and the carrier. It probably got bent on install or removal. The edge may have hung up on a gas port or the bolt key slot on removal. Did it feel funny when you pulled it out? Did it hang up pushing it in?

tonyxcom
06-05-2012, 11:05 PM
The problem wasn't the Froglube. And you need a lot more lube than that.

Prc329
06-05-2012, 11:54 PM
That bolt does look really dry. I recently lost gas rings due to forgetting to lube them after cleaning. Rifle stopped and wouldn't chamber a round. Took bcg apart and it was dry as a bone. Rings bent.

Yerman
06-06-2012, 5:19 AM
Sounds like you got some good advice above.

I got a McFarland 1 piece gas ring and like it a lot. Consider it as a replacement after you confirm there are no gouges in your carrier.

SURVIVOR619
06-06-2012, 7:10 AM
Yes, very good advice.. Thanks to all. The bolt looks dry cause I was wiping it clean when I discovered the rings, then took photo.

I lubed the heck out of it, or so I thought, with FL.. Still, I'll try again :)

Thanks for the McFarland suggestion!

SURVIVOR619
06-06-2012, 7:13 AM
I don't think its possable for the ring to get bent like that in normal use, there is not alot of clearance between the bolt and the carrier. It probably got bent on install or removal. The edge may have hung up on a gas port or the bolt key slot on removal. Did it feel funny when you pulled it out? Did it hang up pushing it in?

Have to say that it felt like it hung up both upon pushing in and taking out. Being my first AR, I was not suspect.. "Precision tolerances"...

SURVIVOR619
06-06-2012, 7:17 AM
Ok, so the inside of my carrier looks fine, no burrs, gouges, scratches... Smooth and look unblemished.

Again, you guys have been gents, thanks.

Survivor from the niner

tonyxcom
06-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Just make sure to put a few drops (or more) in before each range trip. The excess will get blown out anyway so no harm.

h0use
06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
allways keep extra rings on hand.

robnall84
06-06-2012, 3:06 PM
i had the same thing happen to mine. I switched to the McFarlin 1 pice gas rings and havent had a problem. i got mine from sacramento black rifle

SURVIVOR619
06-06-2012, 4:17 PM
McFarland rings are $4 at midwayusa... Gonna buy many extra!!

818gtiguy
06-06-2012, 6:05 PM
McFarland rings are $4 at midwayusa... Gonna buy many extra!!

I would try one first before buying a whole bunch of them. I have tried one before but it caused extra resistance in the bcg movement and caused a few malfs. The bolt would not go fully into battery a couple of times. I took it out and went back to regular rings. No probs since. Just remember to keep em wet.

SURVIVOR619
06-25-2012, 8:06 PM
Took my AR out over the weekend and cycled 200 dirty wolf wpa rounds through the same, uncleaned stubby pmags... Using McFarland gas ring and it functioned flawlessly! Used hopped gun oil on BCG (AR was being stored with FL but I gave the BCG a quick hoppes spray and it stated lubed fine).

Just wanted to say thanks for the McFarland suggestion! I'm a happy AR owner again!!http://img.tapatalk.com/62b010c1-3557-da05.jpg