PDA

View Full Version : SKS ID and AW list questions

kauaibuilt
06-05-2012, 8:17 PM
So, a family member from out of state is no longer into guns and wants to send one to me.

Markings are located on the left side of the receiver and are a triangle with "26", 3 chinese characters that I was told state "56" and then SN with receiver SN in the 13 million range.

From what I gather based on this website (http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=26665) its a Chinese SKS type 56 carbine made in factory 26 around 1969. It has a folding spike bayonet and fixed magazine. The rest of the SN's on the trigger guard, fixed magazine, etc all match each other but not the receiver. There doesnt appear to be "SKS" listed anywhere on the rifle, no apparent import markings (although he said he never took the rifle apart to check for any), and no other identifying marks that he's aware of.

So, BIGGEST question - based on Robert-Roos it looks like I cant get this weapon sent to me in CA ("Made in China 56") BUT since it doesnt have a detachable magazine I can (based on some internet info Ive found)???? Does the fact that its a carbine also affect AW status? Since 30515 states "(c) "Assault weapon" does not include either of the following: (1) Any antique firearm." Does this mean once it hits the 50yr mark I'll be able to own it in CA since no "evil" features are present and just need to find someone to hold onto it for a while?

Next, since Im unsure if I'll be able to get it, what would it be worth in the free world? Im an AR guy and dont really follow AK/SKS pattern rifles.

*EDIT* - from what I remember seeing it a while back it looks like BR's top rifle in this pic.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=148097&d=1336023023

Thanks in advance!

kauaibuilt
06-05-2012, 9:48 PM
According to this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=71293) looks like I might be GTG and will have a new one in the safe in a bit!

SJgunguy24
06-05-2012, 9:56 PM
The made in china 56, 56s, 84 etc are all AK type weapons. The only banned SKS types are the D, M models, and detachable mags equipped guns.

kauaibuilt
06-05-2012, 10:17 PM
The made in china 56, 56s, 84 etc are all AK type weapons. The only banned SKS types are the D, M models, and detachable mags equipped guns.

Cool.... Im even more confused!!!!

So, a Type 56 (rifle) is AK but a Type 56 Carbine is SKS? According to the website I linked originally the markings (as well as general appearance) make it a Type 56 Carbine:

c. 3 Chinese characters ***.
Translates to Type 56 carbine, not to be confused with Type 56 rifle which was assigned to the AK47.

Location of the 3 Chinese characters:
- Factory 26, from 1962-1970 and 1979-1980, located between the factory code and the serial numbers.
eg: /26\ *** 12,345,678 (and SN in 13 million range makes it born on 1969)

And it appears D & M models accept AK mags.

So, long story short, SKS (M56 carbine) and fixed 10-rd mag means Im gtg?!?!?!?!? It is just me or does it feel like us vs CADOJ is like :slap:

*things are soooo much easier with AR's! :willy_nilly:

Quiet
06-05-2012, 11:35 PM
So, long story short, SKS (M56 carbine) and fixed 10-rd mag means Im gtg?!?!?!?!? It is just me or does it feel like us vs CADOJ is like :slap:

Yes, Chinese made SKS (Type 56 Carbine) with fixed magazine is 100% CA legal.