PDA

View Full Version : SKS Rifle

PachecoFTW
06-05-2012, 6:49 PM
Hey everyone, well i have two questions.
1.What are the main differences between A Russian SKS and a Yugoslavion SKS?

2. Based on these facts which one is better?(Reliability wise, etc.)

The reason i am asking is because i do not have a firearm in 7.62x39 and i was in the market for one. Then at a local gun store they have one Russian SKS and one Yugo SKS but the Russian is $50 more , so what really justifies the higher price? So yeah if any body can help me out Thank you.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-05-2012, 6:55 PM
go to the store and buy the "rusky" Russian SKS, what's the price on it? $550 will be paying top $$$$ anything lowers grab it and ask questions later.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-05-2012, 6:55 PM
also what model is the yugo, 59/66 or 59?

Johnnyfres
06-05-2012, 7:01 PM
This site will have all of the information you need on the SKS.

I would buy the Russian.

http://www.yooperj.com/

PachecoFTW
06-05-2012, 7:21 PM
go to the store and buy the "rusky" Russian SKS, what's the price on it? $550 will be paying top $$$$ anything lowers grab it and ask questions later.

From my little knowledge the Yugo is a 59/something and the Yugo made it with a free float firing pin that supposedly make it more reliable but i can neither confirm so i need help picking one. The Russian is i think $450.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-05-2012, 7:27 PM
"yugo 59/66" you can get anywhere, but the russian sks it's a little more hard to get, if this is your 1st sks get the russian, I have been trying to get one for more than a year, and no luck, but I did found me a nice norinco 56 sks "para"

PachecoFTW
06-05-2012, 7:28 PM
"yugo 59/66" you can get anywhere, but the russian sks it's a little more hard to get, if this is your 1st sks get the russian, I have been trying to get one for more than a year, and no luck, but I did found me a nice norinco 56 sks "para"

Ok, Cool i just have to get to the store before they close which is impossible for me hopefully the SKS is still there on the weekend.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-05-2012, 7:40 PM
give them a call? it never hurts to ask if they can hold it, maybe you can even pay it threw the phone ;)

nastyhabts26
06-06-2012, 3:38 PM
The Russian will have a chrome lined barrel, the Yugo wont.
If the russian is gone then get the yugo if it is a model 59 and not the 59/66
I have two of the yugos and I love them, one bubba'd out the other stock.
Non chrome lined barrels shouldn't be an issue unless you live in a jungle or Siberia or do a lot of beach assaults.
Just clean it after you use it.

vonCraz
06-06-2012, 4:53 PM
The Russian will have a chrome lined barrel, the Yugo wont.
If the russian is gone then get the yugo if it is a model 59 and not the 59/66
I have two of the yugos and I love them, one bubba'd out the other stock.
Non chrome lined barrels shouldn't be an issue unless you live in a jungle or Siberia or do a lot of beach assaults.
Just clean it after you use it.

Ha ha ha ! +1 on the salt water and beach sand lol

Vacaville
06-06-2012, 4:55 PM
I had a Yugo 59/66 and it was a nice rifle. Never had a misfeed, super reliable and built solid. However, if it's only $50 more I'd go for the Russian.

windsheer
06-06-2012, 4:57 PM
The sks is the best dam plinker on the planet. No magazines to deal with and fair priced ammo. They fine run in the dirt and are kinda fun to clean. Buy it!

bohoki
06-06-2012, 5:13 PM
my 59/66 stovepipes at random with wolf seems to work ok with barnaul

i put a little ring of wire around the gas selector groove and it seems to work better

i would not get a 59/66 again my barrel looks like a sewer pipe but is decent for hitting clays at 100 yards every couple shots

my buddy had one that often failed to kick out a shell as well but i didn't learn his lesson

and took a chance after i sold my russian for $600 i thought i was getting the jones for another sks and picked this up for cheap

i'd trade it and cash for a chinese or romanian

6mmintl
06-06-2012, 7:23 PM
Be aware that the yugo 59 and 59/66 typically have worn or corroded bores because they are not chromed lined/plated.

A good cleaning at the shop if allowed will show you patches of rust.

If you can clean the bore prior to purchase and you know what to inspect for (sharp rifling at muzzle and in the throat) you will be able to select a good shooter.

Functionally the Russian and Yugo 59 are the same, the 59/66 does have gas leakage problems and require new gas valves and or rings that improve functionality.

beerman
06-06-2012, 7:27 PM
The sks is the best dam plinker on the planet. No magazines to deal with and fair priced ammo. They fine run in the dirt and are kinda fun to clean. Buy it!

Yep,what he said......even the Chinese ones shoot good ( alot cheaper)

Crazed_SS
06-06-2012, 9:15 PM

Indeed.

I need to shoot mine more :D