PDA

View Full Version : CDL renewal, Do I have to wait 6 weeks to buy a gun?

chip3757
06-05-2012, 1:40 PM
I renewed my CDL, I have my temporary paper along with my expired CDL. The DMV says it can take up to 6 weeks to send a new card out. The DOJ FAQ says

What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?
Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC section 12071(c)(1))

Does this apply to renewals as well? Does anyone have the actual text to PC 12071(c)(1)?

smt77
06-05-2012, 1:43 PM
Unfortunately you have to wait for the hard copy driver license.

a1c
06-05-2012, 1:50 PM
Could be worse - my immigration papers are being renewed, and I won't get my new green card for another 6 months, and then the CA DOJ will look at the date of issue on that card as my last date of entry, even though I won't have left the country in the past 3 months when I finally get that card.

Which means I can't buy another firearm for at least 9 months - except for C&R long guns.

E-120
06-05-2012, 1:59 PM
Took me 4 days to receive my new CDL I was amazed by the speed that it came.

winnre
06-05-2012, 2:05 PM
Could be worse - my immigration papers are being renewed, and I won't get my new green card for another 6 months, and then the CA DOJ will look at the date of issue on that card as my last date of entry, even though I won't have left the country in the past 3 months when I finally get that card.

Which means I can't buy another firearm for at least 9 months - except for C&R long guns.

I thought you needed proof of only four months residency?

dantodd
06-05-2012, 2:07 PM
I thought you needed proof of only four months residency?

It's 3 months I believe.

6 months to wait for Feds to issue the papers
3 months from date of issue to "re-establish" residency

This makes 9 months.

winnre
06-05-2012, 3:55 PM
So if they see the date on your GC is 4 months old that suffices for residency? No power bill, etc, needed?

corcoraj2002
06-05-2012, 4:08 PM
So if they see the date on your GC is 4 months old that suffices for residency? No power bill, etc, needed?

No you have to show residency in the state of CA. A green card only shows residency in the US. Also you will not have to wait 4 months. If you received notification of COS (change of status) you have been issued an ARN (alien reregistration number), you're green card date will be set to that.

I got my COS about 3 years ago, but they where changing from the old red and white cards to the newer green card with the statute of liberty on it, it took 8 months but the issue date when from when I got my COS.

J.

winnre
06-05-2012, 4:12 PM
My wife got here in September, had her interview in January and got her card in February. Then on to her CAL ID card etc. Electric bill has her name on it since she got here, ID card has address and is not quite 4 months old though.

littlejake
06-05-2012, 4:19 PM
I'm going to thread drift this just a little. My CA DL comes up for renewal near the end of the year. I think I'm due for the DMV visit for a new photo and eye exam. Plus the new DL with the new anti-counterfeiting features.

I hear about people who say they have both a CD DL and a CA ID card. I didn't think you could have both -- anyone know for sure on this?

It would be nice as I qualify for the 10 year senior (ouch, it hurts to admit that) ID card. It would be nice not to be stuck in limbo during a license renewal.

axel4488
06-05-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm going to thread drift this just a little. My CA DL comes up for renewal near the end of the year. I think I'm due for the DMV visit for a new photo and eye exam. Plus the new DL with the new anti-counterfeiting features.

I hear about people who say they have both a CD DL and a CA ID card. I didn't think you could have both -- anyone know for sure on this?

It would be nice as I qualify for the 10 year senior (ouch, it hurts to admit that) ID card. It would be nice not to be stuck in limbo during a license renewal.

Why wouldn't you be able to have a CA ID card along with a Driver License?
One is a license that can be used as valid ID, the other is a form of ID.

dantodd
06-06-2012, 5:41 AM

Axell makes a good point. Go down now and get an ID card. That should be in your possession by the time you have to go renew your DL. Also, how far in advance will they let you do your renewal? Can you start the renewal 3 mo. Before your DL expires?

littlejake
06-06-2012, 9:52 AM
I've been licensed to drive in CA since 1963. Sometime in the 1970s, they decided to let people with good records just pay the renewal fee and renew by mail. There's a limit on the number of times before a person has to come in person. If you wait for the renewal notice, you may get a renew by mail. IIRC -- you may renew up to 6 months prior to expiration. I renewed early about 1975; and I had to take the written test, eye exam, photo and thumb print.

IMO -- it pays to wait for the renewal notice.

That being said, If I'm up for an in-person renewal, then I'd like to get both the DL and ID card at that time.

I think it's good advice to go get the ID card now. Hmmmm.

jj805
06-06-2012, 9:55 AM
Do you have a passport?

FalconLair
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
they always say that 6 week stuff, but from past experiences my license seems to arrive within a week

Falstaff
06-06-2012, 10:05 AM
passport is useless for CA gun purchases.
op will be lucky to get new license in 6 weeks look at some of the license threads from last year. It took over two months for my new license to arrive. Thats why i went ahead and got a CA ID in addition. Of course certain gun shop FUDsters think that if you have a CA ID, your license must be suspended and therefore you cant buy a gun :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You must have a valid, current CA id or drivers license; passport is NOT acceptable. Temporary licenses are not acceptable either. i sont know if mil id is accepted or not anyone know?

motorhead
06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
they always say that 6 week stuff, but from past experiences my license seems to arrive within a week
this. they've been fairly quick lately.

microwaveguy
06-06-2012, 5:25 PM
I just got mine renewed ...... I had to go in for a new mug shot :p

Took 10 days to get the new license.

freonr22
06-06-2012, 5:29 PM
10 days -+. Get a ca Id while your at it.

littlejake
06-06-2012, 6:59 PM
10 days -+. Get a ca Id while your at it.

I'm with CFC R22 on that one.

Plus, The original problems were with the new driver's license. An outside company is actually making them; and at first, large numbers were being rejected due to flaws. That same company is making them for other states as well.

winnre
06-07-2012, 7:30 AM
An outside company is making CDLs? Where are they located? This reminds me of when the Border Patrol had their uniforms made in Mexico.

littlejake
06-07-2012, 7:26 PM
An outside company is making CDLs? Where are they located? This reminds me of when the Border Patrol had their uniforms made in Mexico.

Yeah, Since I consider Massachusetts a foreign country.

LA Times Article 09 Jan 2011--

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/09/local/la-me-adv-drivers-license-20110109

"...L-1 Identity Solutions is based in Stamford, Conn. Its secure credentialing division, which holds the contract with California, is in Billerica, Mass..."

markw
06-07-2012, 8:04 PM
Went in on a Tuesday, had it Friday. You'll probably see it within a week.

fizux
06-07-2012, 9:06 PM
i sont know if mil id is accepted or not anyone know?

Military ID is okay with PCS orders -- you need to prove you are a "resident" of California.

Bulldog1911
06-07-2012, 9:12 PM
I renew my driver license, got it in 7 days