PDA

View Full Version : cal law differ from fed law concerning attaching muzzle device to unthreaded barrel?

rather_die_standing
06-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Ok califolk i just spent the last 3 hours scouring the net and as far as yhe feds are concerned methods of attaching a muzzle device to a threaded vs unthreaded barrel (under 16 inches) can vary. From what I gather if the barrel is threaded the attachment must be permanent as defined by law, by welding to barrel, silver soldering to barrel, blind pin & welding. However if the barrel is not threaded it seems to be legal that you don't have to include the "permanent" part of the attachment. Meaning you could attach it so as only a tool could loosen in. Pinning without welding for example. Does Calif law contradict this?

Of course now you want to ask why I would want to ask, let alone care about such a silly difference as this. Well I am a poor bubba gun modder. I want to chop the 18 inch barrel of an old mini-14 to 14.5 and attach a 3-4 inch muzzle break on it (thus giving me 16+ barrel and no sbr liabilities) and since I don't have a welder and woud be terrified to try and solder by heating up my barrel with a home depot portible torch. However, if I can just drill and pin (cause the barrel has no threads) that would be just Peachy.

Only you can help me dear calgunners as the gun force has never been with me.

motorhead
06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
if the bbl. is less than 16" the device MUST be permanantly attached. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! blind pinning is ok but you have to weld or silver solder up the holes. takes less heat than welding or silver soldering the device to the bbl.. threads make NO DIFFERECE WHATSOEVER.
you may be able to adapt a 4" AMD brake. after blind pinning (holes from 1 side only, not all the way through) you could take it to a welding shop and have the holes welded closed. take the bbl. only, if possible. if barrelled action, you must stay there while it's done.

Quiet
06-05-2012, 4:08 AM
Per the BATFE NFA Branch...

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod tops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

If the muzzle device is not permanently attached, it will be removed prior to measuring the barrel's length.

rather_die_standing
06-05-2012, 5:58 PM
Per the BATFE NFA Branch...

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod tops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

If the muzzle device is not permanently attached, it will be removed prior to measuring the barrel's length.

well there you have it. looks like welding the blind pin is the method for me, now just need a welder.. and the gear that comes with it for safe usage, or just leave the stupid barrel as is. i think i found the real reason for gun laws, not to prevent crime but just to drive someone so crazy that they give up on wanting them cause of the hassle. for if you can not erase the 2 amendment, just create so may hoops and restriction that owning a gun just won't be worth if for anyone but the rich who can afford to employ their own private lawyer gunsmith. hey, i just came across a brand new career path for the future, the lawyer gunsmith!! i'm gunna be so rich!