PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have problems with Winchester Ranger in Glocks?

FXR
06-04-2012, 11:57 PM
So I just ordered 1500 rounds of Ranger .40 cal, and had 4 failure to feeds out of 100 rounds in a clean, well broken in Glock 22. I've had 2000 Fiocci 165gr truncated cone and 1000 Aguila 180gr truncated cone rounds through with zero failures, so I think my form and the gun are generally ok. Anyone else experience this? The Ranger isn't the most aggressively shaped HP out there, and I'd think that half the cops in America carry this combo on duty.

Not that it's likely to be relevant, but the G22 has a Ghost Rocket connector and a TLR-1 mounted. I've had the occasional box of HPs through problem free before, but can't remember the brand.

nick
06-05-2012, 12:16 AM
That's odd. Which Winchester Ranger is it? I recall, some Glocks had issues when they had a light/laser mounted on that rail under the barrel, but this was just something I read on the Internet, as I've never had anything mounted on my Glocks (and they're all stock).

I've never had issues with any ammo in my Glocks, and I've never had any issues with Winchester Ranger in any of my guns. It's my go to defense ammo (so I shoot it about once a month out of 3-4 guns, to stay familiar with it), and I occasionally shoot Winchester Ranger FMJs, when I want accurate ammo. Two of my 4 goto guns are in .40).

Have you tried shooting some other HPs through your G22 at about the same time?

KVN
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM
TLR lights might cause small malfunctions. Firearms aren't just springs, latches, and pins. They involve perfect timing to cycle and sometimes these lights cranked down on it throw it off a little to cause a hiccup.

Did you try to fire it without the TLR?
Might be safer without it IMO.
I don't want to flag a family member with the barrel pointed in the same direction as the light in the middle of the night. (good trigger discipline comes to play)

But, to each his own..
Let us know the outcome!
Happy Shooting.

elSquid
06-05-2012, 12:42 AM
That's odd. Which Winchester Ranger is it? I recall, some Glocks had issues when they had a light/laser mounted on that rail under the barrel, but this was just something I read on the Internet, as I've never had anything mounted on my Glocks (and they're all stock).

My Glocks are 9mm, so I haven't had issues... but Gen 3 G22s with light induced malfunctions are apparently not uncommon.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28817

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53444

One thing to try is to pull the light off, and retry the Rangers.

: shrug :

-- Michael

ZNinerFan
06-05-2012, 5:34 AM
I have no problems with Winchester Ranger T series 147 gr JHP ammo in my Glock 17 with a Surefire X300 Weaponlight mounted.

I have put about 200 rounds of the Ranger along 800 rounds of Federal Champion and 200 rounds of WWB through it without a hiccup.

daybreak
06-05-2012, 7:40 AM
That is why they recommend buying a smaller portion, like a couple hundred rounds of your SD ammo to test in your gun, and THEN buy in bulk after those run smoothly.

I have not had any problems with Ranger T Series in 9mm through our glock 19, for what it's worth.

MASTERLAB
06-05-2012, 8:46 AM
Never had a problem with my 21sf and ranger t ammo

geeknow
06-05-2012, 8:51 AM
So I just ordered 1500 rounds of Ranger .40 cal, and had 4 failure to feeds out of 100 rounds in a clean, well broken in Glock 22. I've had 2000 Fiocci 165gr truncated cone and 1000 Aguila 180gr truncated cone rounds through with zero failures, so I think my form and the gun are generally ok. Anyone else experience this? The Ranger isn't the most aggressively shaped HP out there, and I'd think that half the cops in America carry this combo on duty.

Not that it's likely to be relevant, but the G22 has a Ghost Rocket connector and a TLR-1 mounted. I've had the occasional box of HPs through problem free before, but can't remember the brand.

I've had no issues using that ammo through multiple .40cal Glocks.

SA227driver
06-05-2012, 9:02 AM
Just went through 1,000 rounds of 124gr Ranger 9mm within the last year without issues through my Glock 19.

Lumpia is sarap!®
06-05-2012, 9:43 AM
No problems, but my Glocks are bone stock and don't have a light attached.

tuna quesadilla
06-05-2012, 9:59 AM

Known issue w/ .40 cal Gen 3 Glocks.

Turo
06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
The ranger t 180 gr in 40 is a little underpowered in my experience, especially out of shorter barrels. That, combined with the light mounted issues could easily be causing your issues OP.

I'd suggest trying the ammo/gun combo without your light and see if the problem
still exists.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 10:43 AM

I've shot probably 2,000+ rounds of Ranger-T and SXT thru Glocks w/o problems, your TLR-1 mounted is probably the reason for the failures to feed as its been said for years that many old 3rd Gen Glock .40's had problems with a light mounted. Some still refuse to believe it.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Known issue w/ .40 cal Gen 3 Glocks with lights mounted

FTFY! No need to bring up other calibers or guns w/o a light attached.

tacticalcity
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
This is the third post in as many weeks about somebody complaining Winchester ammo is not working in there guns. My bet is that this has nothing to do with the Glocks, since the post before this one was about a Remington 870. Don't remember what the gun was before that.

Since there is a sudden uptick in complaints involving Winchester ammo where the types and makes of guns suffering the problem varry in each case, and those claiming not to have issues are guys who purchased and shot that ammo in the past and not recently, it seems more than likely that Winchester ammo is experiencing some sort of new production issue or hiccup. If it were just one type or make of gun that would be different. If it were spread out over a long period of time it then people's testimonials for Winchester would mean something. But plenty of excellent manufacturers have had brief periods where their quality control went to crap. Sounds to me like Winchester might be having such a moment right now.

Of course every gun made will end up hating some type of ammo. If your gun has not experienced this yet, all that means is you have not tried enough different brands or sub-types of ammo in your gun to find one it hates yet. If your gun hates something, don't waste time modifying a perfectly fine gun. Just try a different type of ammo. Once you find something your gun likes stick with it.

These days, I'd avoid Winchester just to be safe. Too many complaints all popping up at once. Let other people ride it out for you. Once the complaints stop, then if you feel like it give 'em a try again bearing in mind there are no guarentees. Don't buy in bulk until you confirm your gun likes it. If possible get the same batch number as the stuff you confirmed your gun likes. Because this can suddenly change between batches.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Ranger-T is considered cheap ammo? TC, I know you really like Glocks but they are not infallible. Hence the current ejection/extraction problems.

tuna quesadilla
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
FTFY! No need to bring up other calibers or guns w/o a light attached.

Hey Shenaniguns.

Please improve your reading comprehension.

Did you not see how I BOLDED AND PUT IN RED "with a TLR-1 attached"?

YES, it is a known issue with .40 cal Gen3 Glocks with lights mounted. PERIOD.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey Shenaniguns.

Please improve your reading comprehension.

Did you not see how I BOLDED AND PUT IN RED "with a TLR-1 attached"?

YES, it is a known issue with .40 cal Gen3 Glocks with lights mounted. PERIOD.

Hey tuna chimmichanga, I made your specific post even better :43:

tacticalcity
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Ranger-T is considered cheap ammo? TC, I know you really like Glocks but they are not infallible. Hence the current ejection/extraction problems.

Your response completely mischaracterizes my opinions, and my post. Since this is not the first time you've done it, and ignored my polite requests not to do so, it is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

I'm sorry you are butt hurt that I dislike your favorite flavor of gun. But I am not a "fanboy". I am a fan, to be sure. But I am a fan of a long list of guns. I am more than happy to list everything I dislike about Glocks. I am also happy to list all the things I like about a long list of other guns. I've done so here on Calguns for years. Fanboys don't do that. They only see the good, and dismiss the bad. That is not me. Never has been. Yet somehow, in the past two years a new crop of guys who got butt hurt that I either dislike DA/SA's or didn't abandon the Glock for their favorite flavor of the latest Glock copy have gone way out of their way to twist and turn everything I post around. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings...but back the heck off already.

If you want to hate Glocks, feel free. You are entitled to your opinion. But stop making it about me. Stop twisting what I post into something it is not. I am just as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. Frankly, I'm starting to feel like I have a stalker. It is really creepy.

tuna quesadilla
06-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Hey tuna chimmichanga, I made your specific post even better :43:

Now there's an idea... :chef:

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Probably the dumbest post you will make all year. You being a hater doesn't make me a fanboy.

Just because I don't like your favorite gun as much as you do doesn't give you the right to follow me around calguns posting nasty responses to my posts that completely mischaracterize both my opinions, and my posts.

What? My favorite gun currently is this:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/20120602_130201-1.jpg

A. You make a silly posts, I and others disagree with you and you get your feelings hurt.
B. Hater? No I'm a realist.
C. You make things up... Don't do that or someone will call you out on it.
Just like now, thinking I'm going out of my way to pick apart your posts but didn't you make that claim of other local members?
D. Toughen up a little bit if you think anything I've ever said to you is an attack.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Your response completely mischaracterizes my opinions, and my post. Since this is not the first time you've done it, and ignored my polite requests not to do so, it is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

I'm sorry you are butt hurt that I dislike your favorite flavor of gun. But I am not a "fanboy". I am a fan, to be sure. But I am a fan of a long list of guns. I am more than happy to list everything I dislike about Glocks. I am also happy to list all the things I like about a long list of other guns. I've done so here on Calguns for years. Yet somehow, in the past two years a new crop of guys who got butt hurt that I either dislike DA/SA's or didn't abandon the Glock for their favorite flavor of the latest Glock copy have gone way out of their way to twist and turn everything I post around. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings...but back the heck off.

If you want to hate Glocks, feel free. You are entitled to your opinion. But stop making it about me. Stop twisting what I post into something it is not. I am just as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

A. The problem I had with you and the M&P was that YOU said something that was incorrect over and over again after I corrected you and even included video of my gun. You claimed that it had no reset and that you had to let the trigger all the way out to shoot, there are dozens of members that will verify this.

B. I've been here almost as long as you, so the new people the past 2 years is not me obviously.

C. Nobody is twisting your posts except you and your reply or edit button.

D. Try the ignore feature since you're too easily offended.

E. I never called you a Fanboy, but obviously someone else has.

tacticalcity
06-05-2012, 12:15 PM
What? My favorite gun currently is this:

A. You make a silly posts, I and others disagree with you and you get your feelings hurt.
B. Hater? No I'm a realist.
C. You make things up... Don't do that or someone will call you out on it.
Just like now, thinking I'm going out of my way to pick apart your posts but didn't you make that claim of other local members?
D. Toughen up a little bit if you think anything I've ever said to you is an attack.

What did I make up? That is a bold accusation. So provide evidence. What in my above post was made up?

Aside from assuming your personal attack had some actual justification because of my vocal criticism of things I dislike about about other guns what in my post was made up, factually incorrect, or even remotely fanboyish?

Your post slammed me, and had nothing to do with my post. You hit and run with a personal attack that has nothing to with my post and provides no counters to my points just an insult and then you paint me out as the bad guy when I call you on it? But because I take offense to something offensive I'm the jerk here? Nice.

Travis590A1
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Another awsome thread! Its never to early for popcorn!

Baconator
06-05-2012, 12:31 PM
No, I've had no issues running .40 Winchester ranger in either Glock 23 or 27.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tacticalcity
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
A. The problem I had with you and the M&P was that YOU said something that was incorrect over and over again after I corrected you and even included video of my gun. You claimed that it had no reset and that you had to let the trigger all the way out to shoot, there are dozens of members that will verify this.

B. I've been here almost as long as you, so the new people the past 2 years is not me obviously.

C. Nobody is twisting your posts except you and your reply or edit button.

D. Try the ignore feature since you're too easily offended.

E. I never called you a Fanboy, but obviously someone else has.

Two years ago is the first time I remember hearing from you. It is also the time I pissed off a group of Glock haters who feel the DA/SA is God's gift to man. Those guys are still annoyed with me and follow me around like stalkers. So my confusion was only natural.

While your post did not use the word fanboy, it certainly characterized me as such. As did your follow up posts. Which also called me a liar but didn't use that exact word either.

With regards to the M&P...you're talking about my complaints about the reset are you not?

Now that's irony for you. After your response I modified my future posts to include a disclaimer that people who knew the M&P better than I did had reassured me I was incorrect about the length of the reset on the M&P and I wasn't sure why my limited first hand experience differed from theirs. I said I continued to have my doubts, and would need more trigger time before I made up my mind about it.

About a month ago I figured out what the issue was that I was experiencing. The M&P resets earlier than I thought, however because it does not have a noticeable click that you both hear and feel the way you do with the Glock (and every other gun I have ever handled) it is easy not to notice that it has reset. I kept waiting for that click, and it never came. So I kept releasing the trigger. Next thing I knew the trigger was all the way released. I even went back to that gun shop (TSD in Rocklin) and tried out the same M&P, and still the trigger released all the way without my feeling or hearing a reset. It never occurred to me to stop releasing the trigger at various points along the way and trying to pull it, because the idea that a reset would not be extremely noticeable had not occurred to me.

This was such a common end-user complaint that S&W changed their trigger on the M&P Shield which has a very noticeable click on reset that you both hear and feel. The video reviews on the Shield that I've watched say that all future versions of the M&P will have the revised trigger they introduced with the shield. I don't know if that means they will put them in existing models in future years, or if they will just put them in new variants they come up with.

In any case, it is ironic that your main beef with me is something a lot of people, not just myself were confused about. It is not like I am the only idiot on the planet who got confused by the M&P's nearly silent reset. It's not like your post spelled out that it was there, I just couldn't feel or hear it. You just said it was there (assuming I am remembering correctly as that was at least a year or longer ago). But I did take your comments to heart and did revise my future posts to reflect what you told me. I didn't completely bow to your wisdom, but I did spell out that others like your self held a different opinion and I needed more trigger time before I could confirm my initial opinion. Frankly, that is more than fair to you. So I don't get your beef there.

I use the edit button a lot because I have dyslexia along with several other things that mess up my reading comprehension. So I have to read, and reread a post 50 times before it is even remotely legible or says what I mean for it to say. I edit a lot because the grammar and spelling Nazis will be on my case if I don’t. Occasionally I will catch myself saying something I do not mean, and I will revise the post accordingly. I’d like to think that is normal.

Sturnovik
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Take the light off, it's a known issue. My favorite defense ammo is ranger and gold dot, it's high quality stuff and consistent. I know taking the light off isn't what you want to hear OP, but this has been an issue with some glocks. Some people had wolf or extra coil coil springs fix it, but not all people had good luck with that. If you don't want that, send it back to glock.

It should be able to run with a light.

deadcoyote
06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
We use it for work and have no issues.

tacticalcity
06-05-2012, 1:00 PM
Sounds like the first step in diagnosing this problem is removing the light. Not owning a 40S&W Gen 3, I had never encountered or heard this complaint. Learn something new every day.

Having to use a handheld light will not be the end of the world. It's not as easy, but there are a lot of techniques that work well. My last two Glocks in a long line of them have been Gen 2s and the 1911 I recently sold didn't have a rail either. So it has been a while since I had the luxury of a slip-on light on my handguns. If this turns out to be the cause of the problem, you'll still get buy alright. Though I can imagine after spending the money on the light it would be disapointing. Hopefully you have other guns in the stable to become a new home for light.

HighLander51
06-05-2012, 1:15 PM
So I just ordered 1500 rounds of Ranger .40 cal, and had 4 failure to feeds out of 100 rounds in a clean, well broken in Glock 22. .

I have run over 20,000 rounds of Winchester Ranger between my 2 Glock 22's, one has the Insight M3 light, and never had issues. When you remove your weapon light, does it run ok?

Tiberius
06-05-2012, 1:21 PM
I hate to get back anywhere near to the topic, but this problem seems to have come up with a number of polymer .40s with lights. Someone a while back had the same trouble with a Sig 2022.

My best guess is that the light causes the frame to flex, or prevents it from flexing, in the right way, which impedes the slide travel. I read up on it a bit and the whole thing sounds like black magic. Some guns are fine after the light is removed; some continue to have problems. The answer seems to be to avoid lights on polymer .40s. Either go 9mm, or metal frame. I've seen no reports of trouble with .45s, but the .45 isn't as snappy as the .40, either. Who knows.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 1:32 PM
tc, I don't have beef with you and I was not saying you should "bow to my wisdom" but I did show you video proof of the reset in action before and after Apex's parts with and without the slide off. Yet we went round and round for awhile over the same thing which seemed silly. I know you've also trained with some good instructors as well, but their word is NOT always gospel... Especially in regards to mild firearm modifications on defensive firearms.

That's the last thing I'm saying in this thread about the so called personal attack.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 1:36 PM
I have run over 20,000 rounds of Winchester Ranger between my 2 Glock 22's, one has the Insight M3 light, and never had issues. When you remove your weapon light, does it run ok?

The polymer lights seem to have less of an issue than the aluminum bodied ones.

Kyle1886
06-05-2012, 1:45 PM
For those that are not familiar with what some have experienced with attached lights.
---
From Streamlight website:
Q: Are there Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols?
A: Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions, either nose down or nose up (stovepipe), when used with tactical lights. The problems tend to occur with individual guns, with some pistols becoming totally unreliable while other identical, even close in serial number sequence, guns have no problems. Most models 22 and 23 are reliable.

A sensitive gun may malfunction with any tactical light - the TLRs, the older M models, and even Glock®’s own brand. There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached.

On the basis of testing by Streamlight, we believe the problem is magazine related. It appears that the rounds are unable to rise fast enough for proper cycling. We have observed proper feeding for the first few rounds, consistent failures at mid-magazine capacity, and a return to proper feeding of the last few cartridges in the magazine.

We have tried both stronger and weaker recoil springs, and compound-action recoil buffers, all without success. Sometimes new magazine springs, either new Glock® or Wolff, will cure the problem. In one case of a pistol which was totally reliable when new but progressed to malfunctioning on every magazine, even with no light installed, we found two solutions which restored reliability, but which might not be acceptable to some users. The first was using 10 round capacity Glock® magazines. The gun will not cycle reliably with 15 round mags with their steeply stacked columns but works flawlessly with 10 round mags. The second solution was a new magazine follower from Brownells®, their part number 069-000-006. When used in a 15 round magazine with a new spring, reliability was restored. However, the follower would not lock the slide open after the last round.

Ammunition is also a factor with any weapon. Some brands and weights may be totally reliable while others jam repeatedly. Make sure your gun is thoroughly tested with your duty ammo.

http://www.streamlight.com/faq/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respectfully
Kyle

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 2:13 PM
I forgot that Streamlight had that information on their faq section :cool:

tacticalcity
06-05-2012, 3:30 PM
tc, I don't have beef with you and I was not saying you should "bow to my wisdom" but I did show you video proof of the reset in action before and after Apex's parts with and without the slide off. Yet we went round and round for awhile over the same thing which seemed silly. I know you've also trained with some good instructors as well, but their word is NOT always gospel... Especially in regards to mild firearm modifications on defensive firearms.

That's the last thing I'm saying in this thread about the so called personal attack.

Again, I modified my comments on that subject with a disclaimer ever since that discussion even though I could not duplicate what you demonstrated in your video in real life. I doubt many people would have gone to that extreme for the sake of fairness. I wasn't entirely convinced, as a repeat visit to demo the M&P still left me with more questions than answers, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. More than most people would do.

And again, modifying a trigger is NOT a minor modification. Until the M&P came around, the idea of modifying the trigger or action on a duty weapon was considered a terrible idea by anyone who carried for a living. Most departments still flat out forbid it. It adds a laundry list of safety, performance and liability issues in the defensive shooting world not found in the competition world for which such "upgrades" were best suited for. The fact that the APEX trigger kit is considered necessary and accepted by so many M&P owners and experts only reinforces my negative opinion of the guns trigger and action. That argument baffles my mind. A gun that many if not most of it's fans feel needs an expensive and major overhaul right out of the box should draw raised eyebrows.

In our previous argument I used the comments from instructors I have trained with as additional evidence that such modifications were considered taboo amongst experts, since they were experts. Again, you imply I am simply parroting their opinion and have not formed my own informed opinion based on personal experience and expertise. They were just one of many sources on the subject.

You may not mean to be, but you're pretty dismissive and condescending. In the past took your arguments to heart, and made an effort to validate them in the real world. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Yet because I asked for proof and wanted to verify your comments for myself, to you I’m just an idiot.

Shenaniguns
06-05-2012, 3:53 PM
Again, I modified my comments on that subject with a disclaimer ever since that discussion even though I could not duplicate what you demonstrated in your video in real life. I doubt many people would have gone to that extreme for the sake of fairness. I wasn't entirely convinced, as a repeat visit to demo the M&P still left me with more questions than answers, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. More than most people would do.

And again, modifying a trigger is NOT a minor modification. Until the M&P came around, the idea of modifying the trigger or action on a duty weapon was considered a terrible idea by anyone who carried for a living. Most departments still flat out forbid it. It adds a laundry list of safety, performance and liability issues in the defensive shooting world not found in the competition world for which such "upgrades" were best suited for. The fact that the APEX trigger kit is considered necessary and accepted by so many M&P owners and experts only reinforces my negative opinion of the guns trigger and action. That argument baffles my mind. A gun that many if not most of it's fans feel needs an expensive and major overhaul right out of the box should draw raised eyebrows.

In our previous argument I used the comments from instructors I have trained with as additional evidence. Again, you imply I am simply parroting their opinion and have not formed my own informed opinion based on personal experience and expertise.

You may not mean to be, but you're pretty dismissive and condescending. In the past took your arguments to heart, and made an effort to validate them in the real world. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Yet because I asked for proof and wanted to verify your comments for myself, to you I’m just an idiot.

Ok I had to come back :D

I did not see you add a disclaimer after the fact, I don't expect that I need to check a post days later to see if it has changed.

You had a problem finding the reset after multiple trys, I don't know what to tell you as I found it as soon as I brought mine home which was even my first encounter with M&P's.

Trigger jobs for duty or carry 1911's whether it was from the factory or gunsmith has been going on longer than I've been alive. Trigger jobs for duty or carry Sigs have been going on about 30 years or so from Bruce Gray alone. Glocks have more options for trigger modifications for duty and carry than any other polymer handgun out there period! I had Supersonic do a polish job on my Gen 4 G19 and I like it perfectly with the ATF/Dot connector.

You never asked me for proof, unless it's something you edited later. But there are plenty of HSLD guys that do run the 4.5 connectors on their carry Glocks. If you want a list I can provide it to you later, I know you did see the post from DocGKR I posted.

USMC 82-86
06-05-2012, 7:02 PM
No problem here with the Ranger T series in my G19 and I have put a few hundred down the pipe. I have also shot the Winchester PDX1 with no problem.