PDA

View Full Version : 887 Nitro Magnum Tactical

mlevans66
06-04-2012, 9:28 PM
Does anyone have experaince with this shot gun? I just want to use it for plinking and maybe home defense. No three gun are nothing like that. I saw one at Iron Sights for under 500.00 and was thinking of getting it. So is it worth the money are should I look elsewhere? I want something under 500.00 with sights I can use and a stock. Thanks!

SteveR213
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I had one, and got rid of it. They look way bad ***, but that's about it. Go with an 870 when Big 5 has them on sale.

mlevans66
06-05-2012, 4:44 AM
Are they really that bad?

aippi
06-05-2012, 6:14 AM
The 887 was a response by Remington to the fact that Nova was taking a Market Share of Sporting pump shotguns. The weapon failed and Remington was stuck with a dud. So, some guy at Remington says, "Let's put a bunch of tacti-fool mess on it as those tactical guys will buy anything based on looks". That must be working to some extent or this post would not be here.

Take Steve's advice and go with an 870 or even a 500. You can thank him later.

Grnjeep1
06-05-2012, 7:40 AM
^ Agree. I have one, and while Remington has fixed it's growing pains there is no aftermarket support for it. And it doesn't even have a rear site...Buy an 870 and don't look back.

goldengate
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I have one with close to 600 rounds. Works fine. I've even put some slugs down range at 25 yards. Very accurate. I like the way it looks and the polymer casing feature. I just wipe it down after cleaning and store it in the safe. Never have to worry about rusts. Of course a very light coat of oil inside the barrel.

I think the early version of the shotgun has some issues, but it should be all fixed now. It doesn't bother me about the aftermarket support. All I add was a flashlight and it is all set.

mlevans66
06-05-2012, 5:45 PM
Thanks for the info and like most new guns it has it's hiccups. I will continue to look ito it.

CK_32
06-05-2012, 5:47 PM
Never used one but the feel of it is like a nurf toy and I've read reviews and they aren't that amazing.

Get a proven 870 and customize as you please

mlevans66
06-06-2012, 5:42 PM
Didn't feel that way to me but so far only ONE good review and thats from someone on this site. Not looking good for the 887. :(

goldengate
06-07-2012, 1:23 PM
I think the reviews are split on the M887 model. There are more positive reviews on it from the recent model verse the earlier model. Check on shotgunworld.com for more information on it. Maybe I got lucky with mine, but from what I read if you have any issues with the shotgun, Remington will take care of you. Here is a pic of my 887 and my cousin's 870. Like everyone said about 870, you can modify it to your liking and you can tell he did. We shot them side by side 2 months ago. Both weight about the same. The pull on the 887 is a bit longer, it is to clear 3 1/2 shells. Both ran 100% that day. The 887 doesn't feel like a 'toy gun' to me. It is solid and mount comfortably.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wKMFW29tN-g/T9ETuIJ7jsI/AAAAAAAAAcI/_asctoLKEkw/s640/870%2520%2526%2520887.jpg

dooodstevenn
06-07-2012, 2:06 PM
i went into big5 for a mossberg 500, came out with a 887. went home and did some research, and decided i did not want to take my chances and went back the next day to switch it out for the 870. I think it's really hit or miss with those things, but the majority of review i see on sites say they love them, but the ones that don't work to well have pretty bad issues like:

double feed
jams
stove pipes
etc.

If youre buying from a place that has a good return policy even on used guns, and you're willing to wait another 10 days if you end up getting something different i say go for it. Some have said the 887 problems are with the first produced guns, after that remington took notice of its problems and has fixed them in the current models.

mlevans66
06-08-2012, 4:57 AM
i went into big5 for a mossberg 500, came out with a 887. went home and did some research, and decided i did not want to take my chances and went back the next day to switch it out for the 870. I think it's really hit or miss with those things, but the majority of review i see on sites say they love them, but the ones that don't work to well have pretty bad issues like:

double feed
jams
stove pipes
etc.

If youre buying from a place that has a good return policy even on used guns, and you're willing to wait another 10 days if you end up getting something different i say go for it. Some have said the 887 problems are with the first produced guns, after that remington took notice of its problems and has fixed them in the current models.

Yeah I heard this for a couple of guns. The Sig 1911 first run got some horrible reviews and now everyone is getting them. I'm still on the fence so far I'll have decided by my birthday in Oct.

my_name_is_john
06-08-2012, 2:09 PM
I bought my 887 tactical last year. It works great. I have shot over 500 rounds through it. I have shot slugs, 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/2" shells. I've used it in the desert to shoot at different targets and for clay shooting. Works perfect for me. I love this gun. The first time hearing about this rifle was at the show. I picked mine up for $419. Once I got home I did some research and saw all the negative reviews. I started to get worried, but once I took it out to go shoot, I fell in love with it again. My friends heard a lot of negative reviews on this shotgun as well, and told me that I should have gotten something else. That is until we went out shooting. They fell in love with it also.

Look, if you like the gun, go get it. Who cares what others think about your gun. It's your gun. You're the one spending the money. If you like the tacti-fool look, then get it. I love the way it looks, feels, and shoots.

ThE_LoNgShOt
07-28-2012, 6:38 PM
I just rolled the dice and bought one at a deep discount from a local gun shop.... I've already got an 870 that is great. I really like the look and feel of the 887 so I hope it ends up being a decent shotgun. it would be hard for Remington to put any new shotgun up against the tried and true 870. the 887 is obviously going to be compared to the 870, but they are much different shotguns in both looks and design. I'll get mine out of jail in 8 days and then give it a thorough workout. hopefully the results are positive!