PDA

View Full Version : California legal CCW holder carry location quastion?

wweigle
06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
I frequently go to our local swap meet which is held on private property on Saturdays and Sundays. I have two friends with County issued CCW permits, one a regular vendor, and the other just a regular shopper, and I have a couple of questions regarding carrying at this location, as someday I hope to have a permit. What raised this question is the recent posting of several new rules at the entrances to the property, including the statement that "No handguns are allowed". My two questions are under California CCW law does this make a CCW permit invalid at this location? My second question pertains to the vender at the Swap Meet that has a CCW and has a permanent location at the site, paying rent on a monthly basis. I do not know what is in their monthly agreement, or if it is a lease. The question is does this permanent location, not withstanding any language in their lease that specifically relates to weapons restrictions, and the sign at the front gate, qualify as a place of business for them, and does it give them the right to carry a firearm like any other permanent business location, keeping in mind the owner of the business also has a CCW. Appreciate any appropriate input on these situations regarding California Law. Thanks!

EBR Works
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
The posting of restrictions like this on private property do not invalidate an individual's carry permit. The owners of the property could ask the carrier to leave. Should the carrier refuse, they could potentially be arrested for trespassing.

Librarian
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
My two questions are

(1) under California CCW law does this make a CCW permit invalid at this location?

(2) My second question pertains to the vender at the Swap Meet that has a CCW and has a permanent location at the site, paying rent on a monthly basis. I do not know what is in their monthly agreement, or if it is a lease. The question is does this permanent location, not withstanding any language in their lease that specifically relates to weapons restrictions, and the sign at the front gate, qualify as a place of business for them
(1) No. Nothing in CA law addresses signage. Some LTC issuers have restrictions on the LTC they issue that require respecting such signs.

(2) Can't tell. It isn't 'location' so much as 'ability to exclude the public from the business, to some degree' that appears to determine the extent of the 'business' carry; with LTC, probably doesn't matter.

wweigle
06-06-2012, 4:17 PM
Thanks to those that responed to my question, very helpful!

winnre
06-06-2012, 4:26 PM
There are signs in federal building like Social Security that say No handguns allowed including CCW holders.

Librarian
06-06-2012, 7:33 PM
There are signs in federal building like Social Security that say No handguns allowed including CCW holders.

True; Federal law is a limitation, but the original post asked about CA law, so that's the context for the answers.

See also the sticky in the LTC forum -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338205