PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble getting plastic out of the barrel

Mana4real
06-04-2012, 9:16 PM
I cleaned the hell out of my shotguns. On my new over under there's a spot on each barrel that I can't get some wad off of the barrel. It's just after the forcing cone. Any suggestions? I used the brass brush and a tooth brush and got most of it. But there's still a piece on each barrel at about 6 A clock that's about .080" in diameter. I've put about 800 rounds through it. I don't want to pit a new gun :(

jamesweed
06-04-2012, 9:20 PM
If you can get a finger down to it maby some real fine steel wool would do... kind of interesting the brass brush didnt get it all.

Mana4real
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
If you can get a finger down to it maby some real fine steel wool would do... kind of interesting the brass brush didnt get it all.

It's to far to get my finger in there. I was thinking the same thing. I tried a bunch of times with that brass brush. Maybe a new brass brush will do it. Thank you!!

aippi
06-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Install and cleaning" make a cleaning/polishing rod like on that page and that should get anything out of the barrel.

Thefeeder
06-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Remington 40X Bore Cleaner and a bore brush has worked....let the 40x soak for 10min if needed

Utha Schleigle
06-05-2012, 12:25 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=360328&highlight=bore

BORE BUILD UP THREAD - TAKE A LOOK AT THREAD.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/UtgaSchleigle/gun%20smithing%20stuff/100_9179-50.jpg
if using a drill allways keep steel wool wadd moving back and forth - even it is an couple of inches - KEEP the steel wool MOVING never stopp and let it spinn for 10,000 - 100,000 revolutions and cut a bulge in tube / bore.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/UtgaSchleigle/gun%20smithing%20stuff/100_9182bfw.jpg
chamber sleeve / bushing works with drill or by hand - a little oil or cleaning fiuld on bushing works great.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/UtgaSchleigle/gun%20smithing%20stuff/100_9181bfw.jpg
short dowel for front forcing cone and choke - chamber - long dowel for whole tube.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/UtgaSchleigle/gun%20smithing%20stuff/100_9187bfw.jpg
SHELL CASING SLEEVE ALSO WORKS WITH MOST 3/8 ALUM CLEANING RODDS.

Hand method works the best - also with in 20 passes you will be able to FEEL the bore smoothness or roughness. The straight hand method mimicks the move ment of the shot wadd collume straight up th bore.

If this bul up is one spot - I wold clean and inspec carefully that spott in the bore. May be some heavier burnESHing with wooden dowel and drill would necessary. If this still persissts - and is effecting your patterns - I would send the barrel BACK TO TH FACTORY for professional honing or replacement. 800 rounds is too fast unlless heavy FLITE CONTROL WADDS with 000 buck. Standard skeet/trap rounds 1500 to 2000 ok.

Utha Schleigle
06-05-2012, 12:35 AM
I would make your self a barrel sleeve or bushinghing - wrapp some 0000 or 00000 steel wool on a secound 12 ga brush you buy and some ATF - your problems should show vast improvement in 10 to 20 passes -

or pour a little mineral spirits on the steel wool and brush after or before AFT {automatic transmission fliud}. Your could brush and the wett the end pass it trough and let it soak in.

Do not use gas - works great but fire is a real danger in a work shop or garage.

WVORKE Room should have a fan ventalting for heavier solents.

Utha Schleigle
06-05-2012, 12:40 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=360328&highlight=bore
from this thread and another forum bu cool advise.

On another forum.

He cleans regular-ly

At the first signs of build up.
The member posted that he uses a piece of CLOTH SOLD TO CLEAN SILVER. He cuts a peice {off the sheet} to wrapp around the bore brush. 2 to 8 passes with the SILVER CLEANING CLOTH and it micro clean and super fast {Copper-Lead-Plastic} all gone.

He said that it was very fast and very thorough - very simple.

Could be an option for multiple shot guns - easy to train - less chance for PILOT ERROR.

He said he has used it for years and it has not harmed his bores.

{Me} look into chemicals and if they pose a hazard to barrel steel.

finyllw
06-05-2012, 9:26 AM
I shoot black powder in one of my SxS shotguns. The heat melts the wads into the barrels pretty good. I simply spray Windex w/ammonia (The original formula) into the barrels, let it sit for 5 mins, then using an aluminum patch jag, push the crap out. I need to run about 5-6 patches (soaked with Windex) through the barrels, but they clean up real good.

Mana4real
06-05-2012, 9:47 AM
Thank you everyone. I'm gonna need to pick up some stuff to make this work. Great ideas!!

MossbergMan
06-05-2012, 4:55 PM
Copper wool works better than steel wool. Course cut copper wrapped around a 12ga. brush, chucked up to a drill motor and you're in business...steel wool will work, I've just found the copper works FASTER.

Mana4real
06-05-2012, 7:14 PM
So after some close inspection, it looks like those things are tiny imperfections in the barrel :/ ... I did buy them blemished unit. No biggie, it shouldn't effect performance. At least now I know why I couldnt get it to go away. Thank you very much for all your suggestions. My gun is super clean now though lol!!!

Utha Schleigle
06-05-2012, 8:01 PM
So after some close inspection, it looks like those things are tiny imperfections in the barrel :/ ... I did buy them blemished unit. No biggie, it shouldn't effect performance. At least now I know why I couldnt get it to go away. Thank you very much for all your suggestions. My gun is super clean now though lol!!!

Will have to use the large pattern target to see if the blemishes effect pattern.

- I would polish or burnish with steel whool and clean with copper whool. Straight push method with with the whool or leather washers with graphite or lapping compound. STRAIGHT Push pull through apox 50 times the inspect then another 50 passes. You may never get it all smoothed out - but could reduce the effects alot.

Grahphite is an abrasive - use as a polishish or lapp - do not leave in gunz action or tube to grind away - clean graphite out after procedure

Thats why I love this forum you can't help but learn something. POSTS 9 and 11
I would clean and brush out every 5 shoot afterward - but I know you will keep an EYE on this situtation.

Mana4real
06-05-2012, 9:13 PM
Will have to use the large pattern target to see if the blemishes effect pattern.

- I would polish or burnish with steel whool and clean with copper whool. Straight push method with with the whool or leather washers with graphite or lapping compound. STRAIGHT Push pull through apox 50 times the inspect then another 50 passes. You may never get it all smoothed out - but could reduce the effects alot.

Grahphite is an abrasive - use as a polishish or lapp - do not leave in gunz action or tube to grind away - clean graphite out after procedure

Thats why I love this forum you can't help but learn something. POSTS 9 and 11
I would clean and brush out every 5 shoot afterward - but I know you will keep an EYE on this situtation.

Thank you. I really don't believe it will effect performance. They are tiny pits and they are just after the forcing cone, so they are only 4"-5" down the barrel. Also, I don't want to screw anything up. Let me see if I can get a picture with my phone.

Mana4real
06-05-2012, 9:35 PM
I can't get any picture to show the blemish at all. It's not deep at all though.

jyo
06-06-2012, 3:48 PM
Plastic build-up is easy to remove---soak a patch in RemClean, run thru, and leave in bore for 5-10 minutes---follow with clean dry patch---follow with patch soaked in BreakFree CLP---you're done.

AlliedArmory
06-06-2012, 4:01 PM
I had the same thing with a used 590a1 I bought. I soaked it in solvent and used the Hoppes Tornado bore brush. Every last bit of plastic gone!