PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic bullet button attachment tool

rogervzv
06-04-2012, 7:53 PM
Well, my son and I were mosying around the gunshow in Orange County on Sunday. One of the vendors there was selling this little bullet button tool. Basically it is a shaped piece of metal that magnetically attaches to a bullet button such that you can activate the mag release. You can either leave it on or take it off. I passed on it because I can just imagine a cop saying that it legally transforms your rifle into an assault rifle because the magazine is now detachable without a "tool." On the other hand this little thing is a "tool".

Anyone else see these little gems or use them?

Offthehook
06-04-2012, 7:56 PM
I would stay away, anything that attatches can be questionable

G-forceJunkie
06-04-2012, 7:56 PM
legal to use on guns that don't need a bullet button. Illegal to use on guns that require a bullet button. So whats the puropse? The official line is for when you are allowed to have a bulletbutton-less rifle: Out of state, with a .22lr upper or when confugured "featurless." Reality is alot of fellonys are probably being commited by the uninformed.

jonc
06-04-2012, 8:00 PM
Stay away!!!!

rogervzv
06-04-2012, 8:01 PM
So someone could tuck one of these away for when TSHTF and the Zombies come after TEOTWAWKI. :D Like I said, I took a pass on the thing. Kind of clever though. Actually, I don't much mind bullet buttons. I don't ever see myself in a true tactical situation where I will need more than 10 rounds to accomplish my purpose, and even if I did one can manipulate a BB pretty quickly and easily.

jben
06-04-2012, 8:03 PM
OP, search for mag magnet. There is a lot of discussion about this. Learn the folly and stay far, far away.

tomd1584
06-04-2012, 8:06 PM
So someone could tuck one of these away for when TSHTF and the Zombies come after TEOTWAWKI. :D Like I said, I took a pass on the thing. Kind of clever though. Actually, I don't much mind bullet buttons. I don't ever see myself in a true tactical situation where I will need more than 10 rounds to accomplish my purpose, and even if I did one can manipulate a BB pretty quickly and easily.

Or you could save your standard mag release and not buy the mag magnet at all. :rolleyes:

ChaneRZ
06-04-2012, 8:48 PM
Just don't put a bb at all.

Chaos47
06-04-2012, 9:07 PM
Must be Monday if its a new MagMagnet post..

Tomorrow we will have another great 9mm vs 45acp thread
Followed by 1911 vs Glock Wednesdays
Thursday is how can I get hicap magazines / use them in a BB'd rifle
and Friday will can talk more about tannerite!

:facepalm:

Even magmagnet themselves admit by omission that you can not use it in CA on a centerfire magazine locked rifle:
http://ar-magmagnet.com/ft-863-when-can-i-use-the-mag-magnet.html
When can I use the Mag. Magnet™?
The mag magnet can be installed and left on your firearm if it is;
- a rimfire, most commonly .22LR
- a featureless build with no other evil features such as a pistol grip, flash suppressor, vertical fore grip, flare or grenade launcher, collapsible or folding stock, or thumbhole stock.
- outside the state of California
- an “assault weapon” registered with the CA DOJ.

Bartin
06-04-2012, 9:42 PM
in before the lock

mls204
06-04-2012, 9:56 PM
wouldnt popping the magnet off make it legal? or just using it but not leaving it on the bb?

Chaos47
06-04-2012, 10:06 PM
wouldnt popping the magnet off make it legal? or just using it but not leaving it on the bb?

Once it touches the magazine release it is part of the rifle because of the magnetism. It does not matter if it is for a split second and then you remove it. At that moment you have manufactured and possess an illegal "assault weapon".

Other legal magazine tools do not attach and will fall away from the lock, as long as they are not tied to the rifle are legal. That is the difference.

m03
06-04-2012, 10:16 PM

I'm going to start another AR vs. AK thread now, since you left it off of the list :)

MrExel17
06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
+1 Stay away from this product!

Chaos47
06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm going to start another AR vs. AK thread now, since you left it off of the list :)

Sorry you are very correct, that is scheduled for Saturday.
Sunday is .223 vs 5.56

EricStanley
06-04-2012, 11:40 PM
What, no "drywall penetration" arguments or "best home defense round" or "SHTF - which gun do you pick" days? No "which mode to carry in" or "best bedside safe"... no "is it legal to..." or "can I store a loaded rifle in my locked bag in a locked container in a locked box in my locked trunk?" days?

Come on now...

Dhena81
06-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Good job on the gut feeling OP

Johnnyfres
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM

Even magmagnet themselves admit by omission that you can not use it in CA on a centerfire magazine locked rifle:

Lol is this how you guys get your post counts up?

NSR500
06-05-2012, 12:10 AM
:popcorn:

nocomply25
06-05-2012, 12:13 AM

Your kidding right?

shadowofnight
06-05-2012, 1:01 AM
Just think of your AR as an old CRT monitor, sticking a magnet anywhere near it might distort your view of the world....as in adding steel colored bars for you to look through.

m03
06-05-2012, 1:17 AM
Lol is this how you guys get your post counts up?

Actually THIS is how we get our post counts up.

175_MPH_SS
06-05-2012, 1:51 AM
Posting up!

ChaneRZ
06-05-2012, 1:54 AM
/ thread

chrisf
06-05-2012, 2:03 AM

LMAO you made my day with that post. Regarding the mag magnets, Id get one just for SHTF or if you leave the state. Or you know.... Bedside home defense.......... (not saying its legal)

rogervzv
06-05-2012, 3:50 AM
Your kidding right?

Look at it this way. California is a crappy state, with a crappy State Government that loves to infringe one's rights, and California is full of Left-Wing people who are hostile to the idea of liberty. Given these facts, and they are facts, it is amazing that we can still own black rifles at all. The bullet button and 10 round magazine limitations are irritations. It could be worse.

Quiet
06-05-2012, 5:15 AM
Current legislation (SB249) would make possession of a magnetic bullet button attachment tool illegal.

fizux
06-05-2012, 5:41 AM
So someone could tuck one of these away for when TSHTF and the Zombies come after TEOTWAWKI. :D

For that scenario, I would keep a normal mag release button, along with a bunch of "normal capacity magazine repair parts" in a bugout bag. When SHTF, you're going to care about the AW ban as much as a cartel hitman is deterred by the misdemeanor CCW statute.

gunsarefun
06-05-2012, 6:43 AM
I don't see the problem with it. Just don't leave it on the gun, just use it as your tool, just as you would with a bullet, ball point pen, etc. The way I understand it, it's only illegal if it's left on the rifle with the operator no longer in control of the tool. It being magnetized shouldn't matter, if your fingers are in control of the tool while you are using it, I can't see how that would be different than any other tool.

SURVIVOR619
06-05-2012, 6:50 AM
I saw the main magmagnet booth at the OC show and was not pleased since that "gem" of an idea may be part of the catalyst to Yee's attempt to further prohibit our ability to appropriate comply with the law and utilize fixed magazine rifles.

OP, as you noted, you can utilize the BB with ease. Your spidey sense is working well when it says stay away.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-05-2012, 7:13 AM
please, stay away from it.

rogervzv
06-05-2012, 7:24 AM
Current legislation (SB249) would make possession of a magnetic bullet button attachment tool illegal.

How is it that with the NRA, CRPA, and all the money we have, that the jerks that keep proposing this legislation don't get defeated at election time. Can't something be done so that anti-gun legislators get the message that if they go after our gun rights we go after them?

Yes I am a member of both organizations and I give a buck to the NRA every time I spend money at Turner's, which is often. Not much, but something...

Capybara
06-05-2012, 7:59 AM
If you get a Mag Magnet, Senator Yee will love you for life. Or at least for 10 or 20 years.

Johnnyfres
06-05-2012, 9:54 AM
This thread should about sum it up.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238857

tba02
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Sunday: Remington/Mossberg?

IPSICK
06-05-2012, 10:45 AM

So Remington vs. Savage doesn't get a day?

strongpoint
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM

and every other week, someone revives the straw purchase thread.

bigdawg86
06-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I have one tucked away... I am not part of the 100% illegal crew, but I am part of the 100% its sketchy to use it crew. Just to play the devils advocate, the 'lil guy is actually held on by what could be properly defined as an "act of god" (caused by natural forces without any human or mechanical interference) Nobody would ever say your car is attached to the road just because gravity is the acting force that keeps the tires on the road would they? Just a little tid bit to chew on...

duc748bip
06-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I think evryone say its illegal because we don't want any of our fellow to become a test case, and possiblly loose our bullet button rifles.

Johnnyfres
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
The grey area is permanently attached. And this grey area is more black than grey.

I think that this sort of design is pointless especially if the manufacturer is agree that it is not for use in CA. The only practical use I could see would be use for trips out of CA when you don't want to tear your lower apart to swap the bullet button to mag release.

glock 357
06-05-2012, 1:05 PM
Look at it this way. California is a crappy state, with a crappy State Government that loves to infringe one's rights, and California is full of Left-Wing people who are hostile to the idea of liberty. Given these facts, and they are facts, it is amazing that we can still own black rifles at all. The bullet button and 10 round magazine limitations are irritations. It could be worse.

Yeah government west overseas wondering where the money is. Cartels to the south of us looking for a border crossing. States around us well you know. It can't be worse can it?