PDA

View Full Version : really considering a ruger gunsite scout.

ChrisO
06-04-2012, 7:10 PM
I'm really considering a ruger gunsite scout rifle for a handy light .308 flinging truck/hunting gun. Seems like a fine general purpose kind of gun. I'm not to fond of the long eye relief scopes but I figure it would be a good handy light pig/deer or bear whack stick. Whats the general consensus of GSR owners? It would even be kind of fun with a eotech on it :43: .

Bogart
06-04-2012, 7:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWDaTTQHyU&feature=plcp

ChrisO
06-04-2012, 7:26 PM
Watched it already but nutnfancy doesn't touch on much besides tactical applications of the gun... Would really like to hear from people who actually own the firearm.

CessnaDriver
06-04-2012, 9:11 PM
Don't consider.
BUY!

It's a joy. Yes the action may or may not need a little breaking in time to smooth out. It's not a big deal, as that is the time your getting to know the rifle anyways. The Ruger polymer mags are cheaper and you can top load them if it's necessary. I went with safari Ching sling, leupold variable scout with quick release mounts.
I really like the whole scout rifle concept with the long eye relief scope. Leaving both eyes open and you can really be agile and fast on multiple moving targets.
Miss? You have up to a ten round magazine and follow up fast. Or you can do a three round mag that is flush mount, and when empty, just place a round in and chamber it. I like to work the bolt with thumb and forefinger, and use the middle finger to pull the trigger, it actually works very naturally and helps with speed.

Go for it! If you can find one.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/CessnaDriver/GSR1.jpg

Trapper John
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm enjoying mine! Fast handling, good iron sights, my only complaint is the steel magazines have a bit of wobble and occasionally cause difficulty feeding. Not sure if this is breakin (I only have a couple hundred rounds through it) or can be cured with the polymer mags.

Go for it, you'll have fun!

John

tkleveno51
06-04-2012, 10:38 PM
i love mine
bought it off a buddy who impulse bought it so got a little better of a deal.
its a great shooter i like the iron sights on it, i tried an eotech but like it alot more with the iron sights.
its accurate and fun.
the mags are a bit pricey
the polymer are cheaper
but the metal are nicer to me.
the action breaks in once you shoot it and break it in.
it comes with extra stock pieces to make the butt shorter or longer depending on your feel of the gun. as well as the scope rings.
all in all i love mine and couldnt be happier with it.

Dreaded Claymore
06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
You might also consider the Savage Scout rifle, which has more barrel length instead of a weird flash hider.

ChrisO
06-05-2012, 2:15 PM
I'm not a fan of savage rifles besides old model 99's. The flash hider is easily replaced and I don't need a 1000 yard gun.

Maddog5150
06-05-2012, 2:24 PM
I'll sell you a real scout with scope for $2300. not really looking to sell it but if the money is there, I may consider it :D

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/angrypuppy311/IMAG0297.jpg

john.t.singh
06-05-2012, 2:54 PM
I love my GSR!

Go for the polymers. They are way cheaper like $30 bucks on MidwayUSA + there are coupons right now. The 10 rounder polymer is smaller than the metal, and the 3 rounder sits flush. You can top load the polymer ones also.

I use primarily Iron Sights, and at 50 Meters was too easy. I'm planning on taking it further out but the good is a nice handy rifle.

MXRider
06-05-2012, 3:04 PM
I impulse bought one and then sold it. It's a nice shooting and accurate rifle, just not exactly what I needed so I replaced it with another AR for service rifle shoots.

JAGACIDA
06-05-2012, 5:24 PM
I own one. I drooled until one came available. The entire do it all in one package. There's a lot of video's on this, some are hawking the gun, some aren't. You get to decide. I wish there was a 30-06 version. Yes, I'm old school.

weber_2
06-05-2012, 5:47 PM
Just get an M1A

gm412
06-05-2012, 6:25 PM
I got one and love it. Extremely accurate with just the iron sites. Have not decided what scope to get yet. Traditional or forward set. You can mount either. Just got it and put 100 rounds through it without any issues. Has a strong kick but it is a blast to shoot. I also got the polymer magazines in all 3 sizes.

ChrisO
06-05-2012, 9:17 PM
I have an M1a and a m1a is far from a light weight packable .308, It serves it's purpose but not as well as the Ruger GSR seems it would for my intended use.

thedudeabides
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM
buy the gunsight scout. besides the fact that ruger completely fails at making a nice action :facepalm: the gun is super lightwight, very accurate, and trigger is simply amazing. and on top of all that its only a 16 inch barrel so its like your carrying around an ar 15, just a wee bit heavier.

NOTABIKER
06-06-2012, 9:18 AM
i love that rifle, i bought the savage axis cuzz i want 223. if i could have a ruger scout in 223 i would spring the extra 400 bucks for it.

REDdawn6
06-06-2012, 9:21 AM
I think it is definately buyable !