PDA

View Full Version : Featureless AR15 Pistol?

Prc329
06-04-2012, 5:12 PM
I tried searching and I could find the info I was looking for.

So I'm planning an 80% Pistol build and I got to thinking. I have recently converted both my rifles to featureless and I was wondering if the rules would also apply to an AR15 pistol. My idea was making a Kydex grip wrap. Wouldn't need to pin a stock since it has no stock and I have a muzzle brake I could use.

Any ideas or info on if this is possible? Legal?

kpinole
06-04-2012, 5:19 PM
Pistol = firearm w/ pistol grip

Pistol w/ no pistol grip = SBR

Merc1138
06-04-2012, 5:24 PM
Uhh, no. Please read the flowchart. An AR pistol would still have a magazine outside of the grip. Check question 16 on the handgun flowchart. You can't have a threaded barrel either, so you'd need to pin and weld the brake on.

smalltime
06-04-2012, 5:24 PM
A semi-auto pistol that accepts detachable mags outside of pistol grip = CA AW

repubconserv
06-04-2012, 5:25 PM
Not possible. Even if you could get rid of PG, barrel shroud, you could not get rid of the fact that the magwell is outside of the pistol grip

SJgunguy24
06-04-2012, 5:27 PM
Wow double tap fail. Anysemi auto pistol that has a magazine that is outside of the grip is an AW per the SB23 features list. There is no featureless AR pistol, period.

Prc329
06-04-2012, 5:28 PM
Yeah that's what I figured. Just needed clarification. I figured cause the mag is outside the magwell grip it would be a no go.

Edit - thats why you should never post drinking beer. You think i was a rookie at this ;)

SJgunguy24
06-04-2012, 5:31 PM
Uhh, no. Please read the flowchart. An AR pistol would still have a magazine outside of the grip. Check question 16 on the handgun flowchart. You can't have a threaded barrel either, so you'd need to pin and weld the brake on.

With a mag lock the threaded barrel is a non issue. The only reason one would need to pin and weld any muzzle device is to make up the 16" federal barrel length for a rifle.

SJgunguy24
06-04-2012, 5:32 PM
Yeah that's what I figured. Just needed clarification. I figured cause the mag is outside the magwell Grip
it would be a no go.

The grip

Merc1138
06-04-2012, 5:34 PM
With a mag lock the threaded barrel is a non issue. The only reason one would need to pin and weld any muzzle device is to make up the 16" federal barrel length for a rifle.

Not what I meant, but it is indeed another reason to have a mag lock even if some contraption were built to make a grip around the mag well and reposition the trigger forward on the gun. My point is that the OP apparently wasn't familiar with the multiple reasons why an AR pistol needs a mag lock(some of them just happen to be resolvable easier than others).