PDA

View Full Version : Found 2-AR and 2-FAL NEW barrels in safe ~ What are they Worth?

insin
06-04-2012, 4:09 PM
Hello all,
I vaguely remember buying these barrels back in 2006-2007 or so. That was back when I first got into black rifles and I was scared that I would shoot my barrel out. How naive I was. Ha... I'm lucky if I get to range 3-4 times a year and shoot maybe 50-100 rounds.

Does anyone know what the market value for these barrels might be? I figure that the FAL barrels are better asked on FALFiles, but maybe I can ask here. This isn't a WTS post because I am not sure that I want to part with them. I think I originally bought these barrels for safe keeping, and maybe its best to keep them for that reason. I just question if shooting out a barrel is even a possibility for me and if having these around are just nonsense. My hands still smell like the gun oil that I bathed these in back then when I boxed them up for storage.

2 NEW Bushmaster AR barrels
1 - 16" 5.56 1/7 twist Super Light/Pencil barrel
1 - 16" 5.56 1/7 twist HBAR barrel

2 NEW FAL barrels (bought from gunpartsguy)
1 - 18"
1-21"

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/insinuasian/DSC_0001.jpg

Richard Erichsen
06-04-2012, 5:26 PM
I can't speak to the AR15 barrels, not my area of interest or expertise. What sort of markings do you have on the FAL barrels? Both look to be recent production and appear to have recent metric FAL gas blocks on them.

R

insin
06-04-2012, 6:06 PM
I can't speak to the AR15 barrels, not my area of interest or expertise. What sort of markings do you have on the FAL barrels? Both look to be recent production and appear to have recent metric FAL gas blocks on them.

R

I took the barrels back out of their storage wrap and packing and I see absolutely no markings on these barrels at all. That is correct they should be for metric FAL's. Again, they were sold to me as NEW from www.thegunpartsguy.com. The guy's name was James. I believe that he is no longer in business, but he does have good reviews over at falfiles.com.

kurac
06-04-2012, 6:21 PM
well, in my RRA brochure, the barrels are $200 or $240 for chrome lined

-hanko
06-05-2012, 8:18 AM
I took the barrels back out of their storage wrap and packing and I see absolutely no markings on these barrels at all. That is correct they should be for metric FAL's. Again, they were sold to me as NEW from www.thegunpartsguy.com. The guy's name was James. I believe that he is no longer in business, but he does have good reviews over at falfiles.com.
James is correct, and unfortunately his business did change direction:mad:.

His reputation on the FAL Files is superb. Best help I could give you would be to check barrel prices over there, and/or post your question over there.

hth

-hanko

thedrickel
06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
The FAL bbl's are likely Imbel or US made . . . somebody in the US definitely installed those roll pins.

Richard Erichsen
06-05-2012, 1:06 PM
The FAL bbl's are likely Imbel or US made . . . somebody in the US definitely installed those roll pins.

You have sharp eyes - bright and shiny little devils aren't they?

R

Pryde
06-05-2012, 3:18 PM
I bought a few of these years ago. James' barrels were all Imbel.
They are not new, they were surplus barrels from kits that were reparked by him.
The 18" was cut and rethreaded by him before being parked, there were never any factory-made 18" barrels.

Seeing as how both barrels are not bipod-cut, there is a 90% chance that they have chrome chambers but unchromed bores.

I would value them between $125-$200 each plus shipping

The bushmasters would be valued at $100-150ish apiece. You can get good barrels for low prices nowadays and bushmaster barrels do not have "F" marked front sight bases which makes them less desirable.

-hanko
06-05-2012, 4:16 PM
I bought a few of these years ago. James' barrels were all Imbel.
They are not new, they were surplus barrels from kits that were reparked by him.
The 18" was cut and rethreaded by him before being parked, there were never any factory-made 18" barrels.
Pryde, I remember those going on sale. Thx for helping my memory.

I'd agree w/ you on current pricing.

-hanko

Bladewurk
06-07-2012, 7:00 PM
Some of James GPG barrels were new manufacture. Green Mountain and he even had some Converted Rem 700 and ERShaw afaik at times