PDA

View Full Version : Buying Gun Online, Help!

mindofarock
06-04-2012, 4:05 PM
Posted this in FFL forum but no response.

Looking to buy a gun online from out of state dealer that has a sale going on. Obviously, I would have to talk to a gun store in my area to receive the gun. I should expect them to charge a fee to receive the gun in addition to the DROS correct? If so, what amount should that fee be around?

Any FFL in the LA area do you guys recommend? Buying an M&P9C. The local FFL needs to fax/email their FFL information to the out of state FFL? What else should I expect?

Capybara
06-04-2012, 4:15 PM
Most dealers will charge you between $60 to $110 to receive and process and out of state purchase for you. They are also required by law to charge you your local sales tax rate. You will quickly discover that all of those "killer" out of state deals can often be beat by a good local gun store when you add it all up.

I have bought some guns from the big on-line dealers but now, I mostly buy locally, I have two great FFLs nearby and both have beat my best on-line price for the totals. You are buying the Toyota Camry of handguns, very popular, I would find a quality LGS and give them a chance, especially if you can find one with your gun in stock. I just bought a CZ75 SP-01 from an out of state dealer because in early May, nobody in SoCal had them, but I did try my two LGSs first.

GunHo
06-04-2012, 4:20 PM
Most FFL's charge $65 to $75. Go on the gunbroker sight for the best FFL price on your area.

Lead Waster
06-04-2012, 4:28 PM
Also try the "Gun Genie" thing. Also called "Gallery of Guns" also called "Davidson's Gallery of Guns" etc. They sell guns, but distribute to a network of LGS. The nice thing is you can compare the LGS prices, which disclose fees and taxes and decide which to buy from. Also Davidson's has a warrantee so that if the gun breaks or whatever, you bring it back to the LGS and they'll deal with Davidsons. I bouight my RIA tactical from them and it was pretty smooth. Decent price, better than Buds when FFL transfer and sales tax are added in.

The forced sales tax collection (even though the dealer is out of state) is what tips the balance back to LGS. I hate it, but quite clever on the part of CA. Unless kitchen counter FFLs start dropping their transfer fee, the online/local FFL deal is not so competitive anymore.

littlejake
06-04-2012, 4:33 PM
OP -- I see you're in the SGV. From the Gunbroker website, there's Chuck Laase thefiringpin@sbcglobal.net

On 12/14/2011, he quoted me: "Our fee is $55.00 plus $25.00 state fee and we collect sales tax on what the item cost you."

There's Bain and Davis -- but their fee is much higher. Keep in mind that the fee for an FFL transfer is not regulated by the state; and the FFL can charge whatever he wishes.

mindofarock
06-04-2012, 4:50 PM
Thanks I've used the Davidson's gallery for two of the small gun/pawn shops near me. Their prices are average, a tad under 500 for an M&P9c.

I don't see sales tax as big deal in that the local store is going to charge sales tax on a new gun too. So both will charge sales tax and it's pretty even playing field on that. In this deal, shipping is free as well. Major bonus.

Local gun store: $489 + sales tax (44$?) + DROS $35 + CableLock $5 = $569
Online Deal w/ free shipping: $399 + sales tax ($35?) + Dealer Fee $55 + state fee $25 + CableLock $5 = $519

Oops forgot the dealer processing fee. I guess it is not too far off.

Check out the deal
http://slickguns.com/product/palmettos-huge-mp-clearance-sale-39999-free-shipping

Wingman707
06-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Doing business with a local shop goes a long way. Keep the money and economy local, supporting local stores and mom and pops. Otherwise, your local shop will be no longer. You can still shop smart while shopping local.

high_revs
06-04-2012, 10:50 PM
why buy the M&P 9c online? if you're savings is <$50 based on just the price of the gun, you're better off just buying locally. factor in that you have to pay for shipping (can be from $6 to $35 or so), it might not be worth while buying it online. if any, there's a chance you may even pay more online depending on shipping cost and ffl transfer fee.

Jake25
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Saw this deal already. CA law limits magazine capacity to 10rounds. You're goin have to do some begging to Palmetto to replace the 15 rounders with 10 rounders unless you already have. That's why Slickguns has a CA legal section just for us.

WoodenGun
06-05-2012, 7:21 AM
Just have then disassemble the high cap magazines. Easier than them trying to find magazines they probably don't have in stock.

littlejake
06-05-2012, 10:39 AM
When buying when shipping to an FFL is required (FFL transfer) -- It's a good idea for the sender to include an itemized breakdown of price, fees and shipping costs.

If unclear, the receiving transfer dealer must charge sales tax on the entire amount you paid. Per the CA BOE, actual shipping costs are not taxable. A handling fee is taxable.

Just have then disassemble the high cap magazines. Easier than them trying to find magazines they probably don't have in stock.
Why? You cannot reassemble those mags inside CA. Looking at the Glock 19 on gun-genie, they have a CA package with 10 round mags. Better to get it with the CA legal mags if possible.

BretByron
06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Does a stripped AR lower need to be shipped to CA w/ a mag lock?

Lead Waster
06-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Does a stripped AR lower need to be shipped to CA w/ a mag lock?

I don't think so. I'm no law-talker, but I picked my stripped AR from an FFL (thought shipped from within CA) and it was just that ... a stipped hunk of metal.

CBruce
06-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Why? You cannot reassemble those mags inside CA. Looking at the Glock 19 on gun-genie, they have a CA package with 10 round mags. Better to get it with the CA legal mags if possible.

Once disassembled they become a parts kit and can be sold to anyone who has a pre-ban magazine in need of repair or anyone out of state who can use them. Those sales could very easily pay for CA-legal 10rd magazines.

Don't know if an online dealer will actually disassemble a standard magazine before shipping, but wouldn't hurt to ask or ask for them to be replaced with 10rd mags.