PDA

View Full Version : Sig Scorpion 1911 vs FNX 45t

supermanuf
06-04-2012, 3:58 PM
I've had my eye on both of these pistols for a while, and just can't choose between them. Should I get the Sig Scorpion 1911 (5"), or wait for the FNX-45t to come out?

I love the lines of a 1911, but I've heard complaints about the external extractor and everyone seems to mention the cerakote finish being far less durable than advertised. That said, I still feel like if I were to get a 1911, I'd want this one. Unless you can show me a Colt at the same price point. As for the FNX, aside from swapping out the threaded barrel and getting 10 rnd mags, one could say the FN has more features. But, it's a chunkier design.

Thoughts?

toby77
06-04-2012, 4:04 PM
Do we have any ETA for the FNX? I would love to have a FN again, miss my FNP9.

Cyphre
06-04-2012, 4:18 PM
I'd be less inclined to get a new release of any firearm. Don't get me wrong, it'll probably be an amazing pistol, but usually something small always comes up that requires an upgrade; whether its detrimental to the functionality or not. So its sort of a toss up as to whether or not the FN will be entirely flawless in execution.

The SIG is nice, and especially nice looking. A cerakote finish is a cerakote finish, and the amount of abuse it can take is probably slightly more than any other general finish on commercial firearms. Certainly not bulletproof, however. Not sure I'd heard of problems with this particular external extractor, but Kimber's execution sure left a bad taste in everyones' mouth.

peacedivision
06-04-2012, 4:35 PM
Nothing new about the FNX, except being off-roster. Been available in free states for a couple years AFAIK.

supermanuf
06-04-2012, 4:50 PM
I'd be less inclined to get a new release of any firearm. Don't get me wrong, it'll probably be an amazing pistol, but usually something small always comes up that requires an upgrade; whether its detrimental to the functionality or not. So its sort of a toss up as to whether or not the FN will be entirely flawless in execution.

The SIG is nice, and especially nice looking. A cerakote finish is a cerakote finish, and the amount of abuse it can take is probably slightly more than any other general finish on commercial firearms. Certainly not bulletproof, however. Not sure I'd heard of problems with this particular external extractor, but Kimber's execution sure left a bad taste in everyones' mouth.

Cyphre, the FNX IS the upgrade. It's replacing the FNP which has been out for a while.

InGrAM
06-04-2012, 9:17 PM
Nothing wrong with SIG or S&W external 1911 extractors. Whichever one you choose will be GTG. Good luck.

supermanuf
06-05-2012, 7:35 AM
Do we have any ETA for the FNX? I would love to have a FN again, miss my FNP9.

Toby, I heard June or July--so hopefully soon.

Cyphre
06-05-2012, 9:19 AM
Cyphre, the FNX IS the upgrade. It's replacing the FNP which has been out for a while.
So was the Glock Gen4 :p

ZX-10R
06-05-2012, 8:40 PM
FNX if it is anything like the FNP-9 it should be good. The FNP-45 was my first choice before I knew about SSE...My army buddies said it was a money handgun and a two of them owned them plus a lot of guys back east shot it...Wish I knew about SSE earlier...I ended up getting and M&P but still harbor a desire to get the FNP-45. The FNX is the improvement and the FNP was not to shabby to begin with.

MrExel17
06-05-2012, 9:23 PM
+1 for the Scorpion!

FUBAR
06-05-2012, 9:37 PM
If you like the Scorpion but worried about the finish check out the Sig 1911 Extreme. Same as the Scorpion but with the Nitron finish.

kenbo776
06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
600 Rounds in one month thru my Sig Nitron...no problems with extractor . Did have a sticky mag release button for first day. Not now. Finish looks to be very tough, but dont plan on much holster time.

supermanuf
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
If you like the Scorpion but worried about the finish check out the Sig 1911 Extreme. Same as the Scorpion but with the Nitron finish.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for the FDE though.

dan12580
06-06-2012, 4:16 PM
I cant speak for the fnx but my fnp 45 tactical (s) are awesome. Great guns and i dont see how/why the fnx may be considered an improvement.

Sig Fan 55
06-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Few hundred rounds through my Scorpion Carry and I am in love!! No issues yet, tossed the factory mags replaced them with Wilson's. Glad I went with it, Grips are awesome and so far so good on the finish. You will get a 1yr warr on the Finish so worst case you can have it re-finished before the year is up.

cwin
06-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Sig 1911s are GTG in my opinion. Between the two, I'd go with the Scorpion. A friend of mine has one and loves it. Really though, you couldn't go wrong either way.