PDA

View Full Version : Place to shoot 7.62x54r Surplus in socal

SoulAxe
06-04-2012, 2:57 PM
Anyone know of spots that let you shoot surplus ie magnetic ammo out here??
I know Burro canyon allows it during the rainy season but anyplace else? Maybe PM if its not public knowledge. Grabbing up some Mosin's and need a spot to shoot em on the cheap.

Travis590A1
06-04-2012, 3:01 PM
Santa barbara class factory!

Capybara
06-04-2012, 3:27 PM
Glass Factory in Santa Barbara
Desert Marksman in Antelope Valley
Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club in Castaic
Winchester Canyon in Santa Barbara

These are all private except Glass Factory.

ZX-10R
06-04-2012, 4:35 PM
SLOSA.

The Right to Bear Arms
06-04-2012, 5:24 PM
I want some public land in O.C. that is specifically designated for the county residents to shoot outdoors.

Capybara
06-04-2012, 6:45 PM
I want some public land in Ventura County that is specifically designated for the county residents to shoot outdoors.

Mojaveman
06-04-2012, 9:46 PM
The Mojave Desert? No brush to catch fire, no people and no range rules.

Capybara
06-05-2012, 7:12 AM
You would think so but you must carefully study the BLM maps of the Mojave Desert to make sure that you aren't shooting in a restricted area. A lot of that land is restricted for shooting and you don't want the rangers hassling you because you "aren't allowed to shoot here."

You are lucky being in the 909. For me here, the real desert is a long drive. I have a house in Adelanto but even the drive out there, most of those millions of acres on the way out are restricted or shotgun/hunting only, not target shooting. So unfair.

CAL.BAR
06-05-2012, 7:15 AM
Come on guys. OP's asking for OC. Mojave desert? OP - ONLY places in (or near OC) for steel core are On Target in Laguna Niguel (25 yd indoor) or Raahaughies in Corona (about 30 min from most of OC).

SoulAxe
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips but like Djandj said the point is if I have to drive over 2 hours it makes no sense. On Target sounds decent. $225 for a membership isn't bad.
I have heard over and over again about Mojave but it seems like with the BLM restrictions it can be a pain in the arse to find a spot you won't get hassled.

Richard Erichsen
06-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I know Burro canyon allows it during the rainy season but anyplace else? Maybe PM if its not public knowledge. Grabbing up some Mosin's and need a spot to shoot em on the cheap.

I think the issue here, and it faces many of us with weapons chambered in Soviet-era calibers, is the best compromise for getting any sort of range time with our new steely pets: 1) Know your local range rules and what they will and won't accept ahead of time. Steel jacketed/steel core is permitted on some ranges, some part of the year and not others. 2) We shoot cheap milsurp for more range budget and more range time, but if the range rules prevent you from using steel jacket/steel core, you need an alternative 3) Not all milsurp in this caliber is steel jacketed and steel core, though the bulk of it is. For a bit more work or a bit higher cost, you might have more choices than you were aware of that will still be fairly cheap, allow you to shoot anywhere appropriate for a rifle, any time of year.

I show a few copper jacketed, lead core stuff that works great in a Nagant, but is probably outside of what would work well in a semi-auto. Yugoslavian brass-cased copper jacketed lead core heavy ball comes in 15 round boxes. Most of it was made from the 1950s to the early 1980s. Like all Yugo milsurp, its running out. 182 grain heavy ball.

The mysterious "JMS" marked brass-cased copper jacketed lead core heavy ball (non-corrosive, boxer primed), 15 round boxes, suitable for quite a few reloads to save money that way if you have a reloading station. This is the stuff with the "JMS/02" headstamp. It might be any number of producers cartridges, from Igman to Privi Partizan (Serbian). 182 grain heavy ball.

Igman commercial brass-cased copper jacketed lead core 150gr JSP (non-corrosive, boxer primed), 20 round boxes. Gun show ammo several years ago, now fairly scarce. Boxer primed non-corrosive makes it a good candidate for reloading a half-dozen or more times.

Modern production Privi Partizan (PPU) 150 and 182 grain light and heavy ball ammo, meets all the criterion above, copper jacket, brass case, non-corrosive boxer primed suitable for many reloads. Sold in 20 round boxes for less than $15 each (the "match grade" is $17 per 20)

Winchester sells 180 grain FMJ for $20 per 20 that is otherwise the same as the PPU 182 grain heavy ball and is reloadable.

Wolf (Wolf Gold brand) is selling a copper jacketed, brass cased 180 grain SP, non-corrosive, boxer primed and reloadable. $20 per 20.

Sellier and Bellot are also selling copper jacketed FMJ and SPs for that same $1 a round in 174 and 180 grain "heavy ball" loads.

Lapua make some great target-grade ball ammo (in some strange weights, like 123 grain and 185 grain) that will set you back $50 for 20, making it hands down the most expensive, while not necessarily the best of the bunch in your particular rifle.

If you already have a huge stockpile, then your original question of where to shoot your magnetic ammo has been answered by other posters. If you are just looking to get into a rifle in this caliber, there are some non-magnetic choices to consider and have the added benefit of being reloadable, which will pay for itself after a half dozen or more reloads.

You can go the other route and just buy some excellent Norma and Lapua brass and make use of the (somewhat limited) selection of suitable .310" bullets. Good brass should be able to be used through 7-8 reloads, but the costs are out of whack compared to buying reloadable ammo and just re-using the case. It's $75 per 100 for Norma (but closer to $90 per 100 for Lapua), though I see most of that is backordered where I usually shop. A few places have FMJ and SP bullets up to 180 grain, or you could re-size more common .308 to .310, which is probably the better choice of the two.

R

SURVIVOR619
06-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Send me a PM if you're ever in south San Diego...

AK all day
06-05-2012, 1:07 PM
BLM

BruinGuy
06-05-2012, 3:13 PM
Oak Tree in Newhall will let you shoot it. The general rifle line is only about 75 yards, and is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. They have a longer rifle range but it is reserved for LE use every day except Fridays. Not sure how long it is.

That's the only place I can think of in LA County. Last I heard Angeles won't let you shoot magnetic even on rainy days.

SoulAxe
06-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks Richard! You were a wealth of information. I had heard of the Yugo copper jacket lead core, it's just tracking down the stuff which is a slight problem.
Apparently the ammomongers have noticed as well because I have seen them buying up as much of the 7.62x54r as they can get their hands on.
Will do Survivor.
Oak Tree looks really promising!! I actually work in Van Nuys so a quick 20 min trip and I could go blow some steam off after work!! It's worth a look.
Burro canyon says they will allow bi-metal or steel jacket during the wet season but I have yet to test that, especially since fire season just started.

PoorRichRichard
06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Get a San Bernardino county shooting/hunting map. All kinds of places in the High Desert you can shoot whatever you want. Also Bee Canyon near Hemet in Riverside county.

the_duck
06-13-2012, 9:26 AM
Go to OnTarget in Laguna Niguel and get yourself a rifle card...then you can shoot anything you want there, even your steel core corrosive ammo.

I took the 1-hour class required to get my rifle card, just safety stuff mainly then I had to shoot 3 rounds in a 5 in grouping, which I did with my Mosin as well.

OnTarget's only a 25 yard indoor range but if you're itching to not have to drive an hour to shoot your rifle, then this is your place. I zero'd my scope here and it was awesome. No wind, no distractions...just me startling everyone when I fired off my first round, which is typical with a Mosin, even if you're outdoors.

jimmykan
06-13-2012, 10:53 AM
What about Raahauge's?

Raahauge's Shooting Enterprises (http://www.raahauges.com/)