PDA

View Full Version : P7M8 problem is there a doctor in the house??

redbull addict
06-04-2012, 2:39 PM
Hi,

My HK P7M8 has developed an issue. I don't use the gun much and last time at the range about 9 months ago it performed just fine. It was cleaned and lubed as usual. Upon a recent inspection I noticed that the squeeze cocking action has become very stiff. At times I can't fully cock the pistal to dry fire it. Without the slide the frame seems to function smoothly so it appears the issue might be with the slide, firing pin or combination.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a P7 gunsmith in the SF Bay area that I should be talking to?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

a308garand
06-04-2012, 2:41 PM
Did the firing pin assembly get turned/removed for cleaning? Maybe it is not fully locked back in place....

redbull addict
06-04-2012, 3:01 PM
Hmm..I did remove the pin for cleaning and haven't tried taking it out now...need to find my tool...thanks for th suggestion.

sneather
06-04-2012, 3:18 PM
Hmm..I did remove the pin for cleaning and haven't tried taking it out now...need to find my tool...thanks for th suggestion.

Tool? On the M8 you should be able to easily use your thumb to push and rotate the firing pin assembly. That's how mine, and the others I've handled work.

If that isn't the problem, the only other thing which can (and often does) go wrong in the P7 slide is the firing pin block spring. That little assembly is poorly engineered, and can often dislodge or break. Check to see that yours is in there properly, because an intermittent cocking problem could easily be traced back to that little bastard.

Good luck.

SamIAm
06-04-2012, 4:50 PM
You've probably already done this, but did you clean the gas tube with the special tool? I don't know your level of familiarity with the P7M8 and this is something that some owners overlooked.

I didn't keep up with maintenance properly some years ago after shooting some dirty ammo. My pistol experienced problems with the squeeze cocking action. One cleaning and everything was back to normal.

kb58
06-04-2012, 4:58 PM
If it has an unknown history, it would be good to take it down and inspect everything with the grips off. The things are pretty intricate but it should be easy to see what's going on. Also, consider replacing the recoil spring and both springs on the firing pin assembly, as they can and do take a set. Granted that this is unlikely to be your problem but it's a good idea to swap them out at some point.

Old vs new springs...

http://www.midlana.com/Misc/springs.JPG