PDA

View Full Version : Trap range is living reminder of innocent times

VaderSpade
06-04-2012, 1:17 PM
http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jun/04/editorial-trap-range-is-living-reminder-of-times/

The comments are going south on this article.

Where do the numbers in this link come from? http://www.lcav.org/statistics-polling/gun_violence_statistics.asp

NoJoke
06-04-2012, 1:44 PM
You really nailed it with your title - innocence.

The image that article paints is of a truly innocent time - some of the best memories I've had was with friends at a range.

How have we gone so horribly off track? Our politicians are SO corrupt and so eager to feed the evil gun story to ride the wave of fear into office as "do gooders"

I desperately want the innocent joys of life I was able to enjoy - joys it sounds like a precious few in Redding might be able to get a taste for themselves now.

Good on Redding, and take note you corrupt officials, sheriff's, mayors etc etc etc - do what's right, not what will get you a few more years of gravy.

Glock22Fan
06-04-2012, 1:47 PM
http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jun/04/editorial-trap-range-is-living-reminder-of-times/

The comments are going south on this article.

Where do the numbers in this link come from? http://www.lcav.org/statistics-polling/gun_violence_statistics.asp (http://www.lcav.org/statistics-polling/gun_violence_statistics.asp)

Thin air, of course.

Just look down the list of references. See how many times the names "Garen Wintemute" (6), "Arthur Kellerman" (2) and "David Hemenway" (10) crop up. Garbage in, garbage out.

live2suck
06-04-2012, 6:22 PM
Wow, life took a dump on silenceisnotgolden, and now he just wants to make everyone's life as miserable as his.

And all of his bad experiences are directly related to sloppy handling, which, you know would be cured by furthering gun education and instilling safe handling practices at a young age.

Actually, I've had a little more experience with guns than you might imagine. In addition to my training in the army, I had a sister who was paralyzed after being shot in the back by someone cleaning a gun, and another relative who was shot to death by an abusive spouse. As a young child I also lost a friend and neighbor of about the same age who accidently shot himself with a gun kept in his home. There are a lot more nightmarish memories and devastation attached to guns than the "fond" memories you speak of.

You can't change the minds of those like this, every statement they make is an emotional appeal - there is no debate or exchange of ideas with them.

live2suck
06-04-2012, 6:22 PM
Wow, life took a dump on silenceisnotgolden, and now he just wants to make everyone's life as miserable as his.

And all of his bad experiences are directly related to sloppy handling, which, you know, could be cured by furthering gun education and instilling safe handling practices at a young age.

Actually, I've had a little more experience with guns than you might imagine. In addition to my training in the army, I had a sister who was paralyzed after being shot in the back by someone cleaning a gun, and another relative who was shot to death by an abusive spouse. As a young child I also lost a friend and neighbor of about the same age who accidently shot himself with a gun kept in his home. There are a lot more nightmarish memories and devastation attached to guns than the "fond" memories you speak of.

You can't change the minds of those like this, every statement they make is an emotional appeal - there is no debate or exchange of ideas with them.

sreiter
06-05-2012, 10:49 AM

What a joke. The statistical probability of him know 4 people to suffer from gun related accidents is almost nill.

CGT80
06-07-2012, 9:27 PM
What is with all of the stupid people that think guns are made to kill people? The purpose of a gun is to emit a projectile. They are too closed minded to see the truth. My shotgun was made specifically for shooting clays, not people or animals. They wouldn't say that cars are made to kill people, yet they do. They don't say that knives are made to kill people. A knife is made to cut. It is up to a person to choose what to use it for. No point in ranting on. You guys already know this.

Lugiahua
06-08-2012, 2:01 AM
"90 firearms out of 100 Americans" is a fact but often mislead, since one person could own more than one firearms. But people who are unfamiliar with firearms often thought it means 90% people own guns

A clearer statistic is that 90 millions US citizens own firearms, that would be about 25% of the population.

Glock22Fan
06-08-2012, 8:07 AM
"90 firearms out of 100 Americans" is a fact but often mislead, since one person could own more than one firearms. But people who are unfamiliar with firearms often thought it means 90% people own guns

A clearer statistic is that 90 millions US citizens own firearms, that would be about 25% of the population.

It's a pity that it isn't 90% of the people, then perhaps we would not have all that stupidity.

interstellar
06-08-2012, 8:53 AM
Randy, we should feature this school in the film. Educate the public that trap/skeet is an Olympic sport. Do you know the teacher?

VaderSpade
06-08-2012, 9:19 AM
I'll do some checking.

CGT80
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I met an Olympic shooter at the skeet range last weekend. If she gets a medal this year, it will be 5 metals in a row from the last 5 Olympics in a row. She used to shoot trap, but the Olympics dropped that sport and she had to change to skeet to do what she loved. I am somewhat surprised that there are still shooting sports in the Olympics. I hear about the other sports when the Olympics comes up (I don't watch sports) but I never hear about shooting. I agree that we would be better off if the average person at least understood what a gun was all about and how to safely handle one, even if they don't choose to use their right. The schools teach sex ed. to help with prepare kids, but anything involving firearms is usually evil in their eyes.

Farrier-1
06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I obtained my hunting license through the school in sixth grade science.

Some parents opted not to have their kids participate.

In class on school's time, we studied hunter/gun safety and then got to shoot .22's at an indoor range off campus.

One of my most favorable memories in my lifetime.

Lugiahua
06-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I obtained my hunting license through the school in sixth grade science.

Some parents opted not to have their kids participate.

In class on school's time, we studied hunter/gun safety and then got to shoot .22's at an indoor range off campus.

One of my most favorable memories in my lifetime.

some of professors in my college complains about the removal of on campus range in mid-80s, and claimed school should reinstall these installations.
I am really glad there are still pro-gun faculties around.

Farrier-1
06-08-2012, 1:33 PM
some of professors in my college complains about the removal of on campus range in mid-80s, and claimed school should reinstall these installations.
I am really glad there are still pro-gun faculties around.

Seemed like all of my professors were full blown left wing libs. Nice to know that some good ones are still in the system.

Wherryj
06-08-2012, 2:09 PM
Thin air, of course.

Just look down the list of references. See how many times the names "Garen Wintemute" (6), "Arthur Kellerman" (2) and "David Hemenway" (10) crop up. Garbage in, garbage out.

Interesting, I had always heard rumors that LCAV's statistics were generated by a colonoscope. I'll have to research things a little further.

Lugiahua
06-08-2012, 2:51 PM
Seemed like all of my professors were full blown left wing libs. Nice to know that some good ones are still in the system.

I guess private colleges are more likely leaning 2A than UC or CSU.
Actually my college does not prohibit firearms by school reg, and there are students with CCW around. I really wished that I came from a issue county...

dantodd
06-08-2012, 2:59 PM

Don't assume that just because they support gun rights that they aren't left-wing professors.

Farrier-1
06-08-2012, 3:32 PM
Don't assume that just because they support gun rights that they aren't left-wing professors.

Kind of a oxymoron.

dantodd
06-08-2012, 3:41 PM
Kind of a oxymoron.

Not in the least. I know quite a few "liberals" who are also supporters of gun rights. Perhaps you have a myopic view from your own choice of friends.

sniper5
06-08-2012, 9:57 PM
I grew up in Redding and used to shoot in the little canyon at the foot of the trap range when they weren't using it. Ah, yes. A simpler time. Fond memories.

Montane
06-09-2012, 7:32 AM
I went to Anderson Union HS in the 80's and was in the trap club. Used to put my shotgun in the trunk of my car (as did everybody in the club), drive to campus, attend class and then after school drive down the hill to the range next to campus to shoot with the shop teacher - who reloaded and offered us inexpensive shot shells. Simpler times indeed.

foxtrotuniformlima
06-09-2012, 8:14 AM
I went to Anderson Union HS in the 80's and was in the trap club. Used to put my shotgun in the trunk of my car (as did everybody in the club), drive to campus, attend class and then after school drive down the hill to the range next to campus to shoot with the shop teacher - who reloaded and offered us inexpensive shot shells. Simpler times indeed.

Any pictures of back then? That would be cool.

VaderSpade
06-09-2012, 1:36 PM

Who was the coach, I would like to talk to him?

wireless
06-09-2012, 1:47 PM
Oooh my favorite is "CCW causes more crime".

:rofl2:

Montane
06-09-2012, 3:08 PM
Russell Todd was the teacher. Pretty good article here: http://www.andersonvalleypost.com/news/2012/jun/05/anderson-trap-shooting-range-dedicated-russell-tod/

VaderSpade
06-09-2012, 4:28 PM
Thanks, great article.