PDA

View Full Version : Mining for Influence in Montana (not specifically 2A related)

speedrrracer
06-04-2012, 1:51 PM
search revealed nothing similar, so I thought I'd share

A great, and sad op-ed read, written by the Governor of Montana.

IN Montana’s frontier days, we learned a hard lesson about money in politics, one that’s shaped our campaign-finance laws for a century and made our political system one of the country’s most transparent.

Those laws, and our political way of life, are now being threatened by the Supreme Court — which is why I recently signed a petition for a federal constitutional amendment to ban corporate money from all elections.

Entire piece here (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/opinion/an-invitation-to-keep-money-out-of-politics.html)

bwiese
06-04-2012, 3:46 PM
Oh bullpucky.

Now finally biz and NRA can put some money in politics that the unions were already doing.

Nick Justice
06-04-2012, 4:44 PM
At first I was surprised that the NY times printed it, much less paid any attention to it. Then I remembered: NY Times is a very liberal paper, that supported ending huge corp. contibutions to politicians because it thought that the big corps. gave mostly to Repubs., and wanted liberal influences (Dems) to sieze all power. I figured that the NY times would just be shooting itself in the foot with this position. It would also be banned from making such contributions to the ones it wanted to win. But wait, thinking further, it dispenses the information, and it can endorse whomever it wants in its pages, free of charge, every day of the year. It doesn't need to make contributions. It just prints liberal editorials, and gets the infuence it wants. Boy, am I naive!

gunsmith
06-04-2012, 8:19 PM
Oh bullpucky.

Now finally biz and NRA can put some money in politics that the unions were already doing.

LOL, I know!!! anytime you have the NRA and the ACLU agreeing on something - its gotta be a winner.

So many people are fooled by this, way back when as soon as I saw "mccain feingold" I knew it was wrong without hesitation

gunsmith
06-04-2012, 8:46 PM
Before this dumb law got its due, a nascar driver got in hot water for a Bush bumper sticker-the NRA would have been prohibited for saying "Obama might appoint a Justice like Sotomayer who will claim the right of the people doesnt mean the right of the people."

Scarecrow Repair
06-04-2012, 9:37 PM
Gunnies like to point to "shall not be infringed". Go look at the first amendment and show where it says "freedom of speech by people".

Then there's the nonsensical idea of exempting media corporations. NYT would obviously qualify ... would Fox News? Aren't they a movie company? Isn't CBS news (or NBC, one of them) owned be GE or Westinghouse? Do they qualify? Does CGF qualify? Does the Catholic Church qualify? Are corporations generally allowed any freedom of speech, such as press releases?

So sick of people trying to prevent freedom that others exercise. You either like freedom or you don't.