PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought for a handgun purchase

dtp
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
First off, I am thinking of getting a CCW license so that I can easily carry while riding my motorcycles. I do a lot of back-country/back-woods exploring, often alone, and would feel a little safer (from thugs and wildlife) if I had some personal protection to take along. Having a handgun locked-up and unloaded kind of defeats that purpose, so a CCW seems like the way to go for that. Carrying in other situations... well probably not so much, but I may from time-to-time, especially when on my street bike and getting off and going in for a bite to eat, I wouldn't want to leave the gun on the bike, so I would likely wear it inside.

Second, I am thinking 9mm because I would also like to be able to afford to shoot it often. I have a .22LR rifle and a 22/45 that I love being able to pump rounds through cheaply. I was also exposed to some IDPA drills by my brother and it seems to be something that I might enjoy doing from time to time. As far as IDPA would go, I would not buy a gun just for how it would do in IDPA or what class I would be in. Rather it would be more of a "run what you brung" scenario and just to go out and have some fun with it. That said, I don't want something that would just totally suck either.

These are the handguns I have been considering, and I would like others' thoughts on how well they would work for the above...

S&W SW9VE, M&P9C or Shield.
Springfield XD9

I know the Shield would be easy to carry as a daily carry gun if I wanted to, but what about the others?

Oh, and I am kind of an "asthetics guy" and Glock's just don't pull my trigger if you get my drift. I know they are great guns, but for some reason there just is no attraction there.

Lead Waster
06-04-2012, 1:29 PM
If you are in CA, then consider if you can even get a LTC in the first place. It's not so easy as just deciding to get one.

Solidux
06-04-2012, 1:29 PM
Getting a CCW in CA is super hard... especially for the reasons you listed.

That aside. If I was going to carry, it would be the .380 bodyguard or double stack warthog.

Sebass
06-04-2012, 2:26 PM
Are you located in CA? If so, what county? My county (Fresno) issues for Personal Protection/Self Defense. The M&P 9c is my primary carry and I love it :). It carries really well in a Crossbreed Supertuck. With that being said, you might wanna consider a bigger caliber for a backwoods/mountain gun if you have mountain lions or bears in your neck of the woods ;).

dtp
06-04-2012, 2:33 PM
I just went and looked at a few. I like the feel of the XD9 subcompact. I'm going to go rent one at the range and see if I like how it shoots. I liked the feel of the M&P also, but my LGS only had the full-size in .40 cal. The Ruger something-or-other was nice too but it was only 7+1 round capacity, but also much cheaper.

I wear full Cordura with a long riding jacket (adventure rider) so carrying on my street bike would be pretty easy as it has lots of room.

As far as the license goes, my county sherrif is approving CCW licenses for "personal and family protection outside the home." It's a long wait, but lots of people are getting them. That and the class requirement went up to 16hours from 8 makes it a little tougher to get, but they are being issued.

dtp
06-04-2012, 2:36 PM
Are you located in CA? If so, what county? My county (Fresno) issues for Personal Protection/Self Defense. The M&P 9c is my primary carry and I love it :). It carries really well in a Crossbreed Supertuck. With that being said, you might wanna consider a bigger caliber for a backwoods/mountain gun if you have mountain lions or bears in your neck of the woods ;).

Stanislaus county, so yeah, I don't think I'll have too many issues besides waiting five to six months for the appointment.

I actually thought about the bigger calibers, because yeah mountain lions and bears could be an issue. But rattlesnakes are my biggest concern... I have a story about them suckers. Them and tweakers/pot farmers.

Whatisthis?
06-04-2012, 2:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to the M&P shield. However, if you really don't like the Ruger being 7+1 then you won't want it. If capacity is an issue, I'd go G19 for 15 rounds of 9mm or an M&P9c. If serious backpacking will be done, go with a 10mm glock IMO.

Sebass
06-04-2012, 2:51 PM
Stanislaus county, so yeah, I don't think I'll have too many issues besides waiting five to six months for the appointment.

I actually thought about the bigger calibers, because yeah mountain lions and bears could be an issue. But rattlesnakes are my biggest concern... I have a story about them suckers. Them and tweakers/pot farmers.

Sounds good! You should get the LTC process started ASAP if it is a 6 month wait....Hell, here in Fresno County it's a 10-12 month wait currently :eek:! I got lucky an scored a cancellation however and have had my Permit for about a month now.

I would go with the M&P 9c if you can get your hands on one ;). The Shield is nice too and I may just get one later this year, but right now they're only available via Single-Shot Exemption or Private Party :(.

P.S. I have a feeling your collection of handguns will not just stop with 1 and in time eventually will grow, so like others have suggested go with a Glock in 10mm if you plan on doing some backpacking and/or hiking :).

dtp
06-04-2012, 3:00 PM
P.S. I have a feeling your collection of handguns will not just stop with 1 and in time eventually will grow, so like others have suggested go with a Glock in 10mm if you plan on doing some backpacking and/or hiking :).

lol... unfortunately, you are probably right. This will actually be my 2nd handgun, but if past obsessions are any indicator, yeah I'll be getting more. :tt1:

NYRangerfan2
06-05-2012, 2:23 PM
a friend just got his ccw and took him close to a year out near comanche lake .....

NYRangerfan2
06-05-2012, 2:24 PM
and try to find out what questions the sheriff will ask you and what kind of answers they want to hear .... obviously saying someone is harassing you is a no-no ... find out what they wanna hear, and tell them!

intensefab
06-05-2012, 2:30 PM
As a motorcycle rider I carry my Sig Scorpion in a shoulder rig under my cut. If not, it's my .38 bodyguard in my cut pocket. But then again, I'm not in Kalifornia anymore!

The S&W Shield is nice, but it's still a little big as a pocket gun. Can't go wrong with a XD9, it's my bedside protector!

Get what feels best in your hand and what's concealable. In the summer months I find it easier to put a weapon in your pocket than to have to holster it!

Travis590A1
06-05-2012, 2:31 PM
I lived in stanislaus too and I agree with carrying a weapon "legally" its crazy over there. I feel you need a bigger caliber though for backpacking. Id recomend a .357 mag or bigger. If your worried about snakes just carry 2 rounds of shotshells then 3-4 of good ol Fmj .357 mag. Problem solved. Its what I use in my Ruger for camping.

dtp
06-05-2012, 8:24 PM
Heh. No backpacking here. My hikes are limited to a mile or two max from where I parked the bike/car. But I do get to some pretty remote locations with my bikes.

I was also thinking carrying in a fanny-pack in a tankbag. Then when I stopped for a hike or for a bite to eat, it would be easy to transfer the fanny pack to my... well, fanny... and not have to worry about carrying in a holster or my pocket. This would be especially more convenient if I were on my dualsport doing more "hardcore" dirt riding where a holster would be just plain uncomfortable and mobility-limiting.

Thanks for all the tips. I was able to handle an XD9 3" and 4", M&P9SC, SW9VE and a Ruger P90 all at the same place. The 9VE and P90 felt like cheap airsoft pistols to me compared to the XD and the M&P. Salesman actually said "yeah if you don't like the Glock, you'll hate the 9VE." So far though, I really like the feel of the XD over them all. I'm going to try and rent an XD and M&P this week and see how they feel in action.

LexLuther
06-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Getting a CCW in CA is super hard... especially for the reasons you listed.

I call fud on this baloney... I got mine for that exact reason, no problem. On my app. I listed " for personal protection while traveling outside the home". They remarked that I didn't use many words, we discussed situations like the op described, and they approved me...

If you will be wearing a concealment a rent like a coat most of the time, consider a larger round for that time you are in the back country and want the extra stopping power. A 380 isn't much against a bear or cat...
Look. At a 357 or better a 44 mag. With either gun you can shoot " specials" 38 or 44 for practice.

Legasat
06-05-2012, 10:41 PM
My 9c has been flawless. Can't wait to get my mits on a shield.

Fherot
06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Really hate Riverside county. You need to handle gross amounts of cash for work and walk down dark alleys to the bank for deposit or have aliens out to kill you in order to be considered.

Where my mom lives they don't even have police anymore. The Sheriff department and next city over has deputies that go visit now and then or will arrive sharply in 30min to an hour. She often hikes out in the desert to feed 'her' coyotes and feral cats etc. There's often wild dogs, some cougar, and transients out there. I'd like the Sheriff's excuse to not even consider her... Evil 57 year old woman who loves to walk and feed animals.