PDA

View Full Version : Pistol primer strike question

BigMak911
06-04-2012, 1:23 PM
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but the other day, I took all my guns out to the desert with some buddies for some plinking and hunting. We did some fun pistol drills while we were out there and while collecting brass, I noticed something about my pistol primer strikes. My Sig 2022 in 40 (Exeter, NH made) never hits the primer in the same place; my Kahr CW9 is VERY close to consistent in location; and my Beretta 92FS always strikes the primer in exactly the same spot (although I have FTEs every few rounds). What gives? Which is normal? (Other than the FTE which is obviously not normal).

littlejake
06-04-2012, 3:20 PM
Gotta ask. I assume it hits off center -- it's only not hitting the primer in the same place if you check the ejector, extractor and other marks and find that relative to other marks, it's not hitting in the same place.

tal3nt
06-04-2012, 3:30 PM
It should hit in the same exact spot every single time

JeremyS
06-05-2012, 12:14 AM
it's probably just off center (which is fine, normal, and not a concern as long as it isn't so far off that it has a hard time denting the primer) and it looks all over the place because the brass has all spun and rotated by the time you look at it. Like littlejake said, you'd have to compare against extractor marks and i bet you'll see that it's off in a specific direction a specific distance from center and is consistent.

With some disassembly you could manually push the firing pin through the hole in the breech face (as though it had just been hit by the striker) and see if it actually has excessive play in it.

MisplacedTexan
06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Buy some "traditions" snap caps. They are the ones that are red plastic w/ the brass end and a spring inside connected to a brass primer section. Run those a few times. The firing pin will leave an impression on them when brand new..... after repeated firings it all just becomes one dent, but for your purposes, I think that would work.
The other snap caps that are maroon and all aluminum have the rubber primer section and you can't tell where your firing pin strikes there.