PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mosquito FDE off-roster?

Procrastin8
06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
i noticed the FDE finish isn't on the approved CA roster. is there a reason for this? Sig didn't submit it? CA really thinks FDE is dangerous? i can see them thinking the pink version looks more like a toy, but the FDE?

keenkeen
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Not on roster. SIG would need to request it be added in the new color as long as it is identical otherwise to the on roster version.

Some FFLs will sell it as the on roster version... But that is on them.

Solidux
06-04-2012, 1:11 PM
The FDE color is very dangerous. California knows the truth about a subdued color causing more tacticool incidents. Your child may mistake the fde mosquito for sand and cause a ND.

Procrastin8
06-04-2012, 3:27 PM
ok, well i'll call Sig tomorrow though i don't have high hopes of this being sorted out anytime soon. looks like it's blued or two-tone variant only.

keenkeen
06-04-2012, 4:22 PM
ok, well i'll call Sig tomorrow though i don't have high hopes of this being sorted out anytime soon. looks like it's blued or two-tone variant only.

Call SIG? Why?

:confused:

Procrastin8
06-04-2012, 4:49 PM
to see whether sig has any plans to try to add the finish to the roster list. and if they aren't currently, to let them know there's at least one customer who'd like it.

Procrastin8
06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
what about out-of-state family transfer? From what I can tell, that's legal provided I find an FFL willing to receive it.

Quiet
06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
what about out-of-state family transfer? From what I can tell, that's legal provided I find an FFL willing to receive it.

In order to qualify...
The out-of-state family member will need to be a grandparent, parent, child or grandchild.
If the family member is not one of those than the transfer is not exempt.

Bug Splat
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Dude, that pistol sucks eggs. Get something else.

Procrastin8
06-07-2012, 3:29 PM
Dude, that pistol sucks eggs. Get something else.

Why? Because of the feeding issues?

Procrastin8
06-07-2012, 3:30 PM
In order to qualify...
The out-of-state family member will need to be a grandparent, parent, child or grandchild.
If the family member is not one of those than the transfer is not exempt.

Yep, classic HSC question. In this case it'd be my father.

Wallabing
06-07-2012, 4:19 PM
The Mosquito is crap.

Take my advice.

If you buy it, you WILL REGRET IT.

I learned it the $400 way.

TURNandBURN13
06-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I have a Sig Mosquito. Put about 1500 rounds thru her. In my opinion, it's not the best .22lr tacticool pistol out there. If I had to choose right now I would go with a Ruger SR-22. My friends have Ruger SR-22, Walther P-22, and Phoenix and I've fired them all. Ruger SR-22 is the best of the bunch, in reliability, feel, value, etc.

I will defend the Mosquito though, the feeding issues that are reported on the internet are not THAT bad. I use Federal or Remington Golden Bullets and I generally have very few problems. This IS NOT a glock. You will not fire 30,000 rounds thru it without a problem. I've gone through a 500 round brick before on this, and generally after the 400 rd count, things start to get really dirty. However, is that the gun's fault??? Or is it just that .22LR are very dirty bullets?

I went to the range last night, fired a couple hundred rounds thru the mosquito. I used Federal .22LR. Not one FTE/FTF. I had just cleaned it and frog lubed it before I went to the range. My mosquito has not had the feed ramp polished, though I've been tempted to do it, just haven't gotten around to it.

My short review of the Sig Mosquito, after firing around 2000 rounds through it:

Pros:

-Feels great in your hands
-Love the decocker (that's what she said)
-has external safety (if you're into that)

Cons:

-Sights are horrible on this thing, it's either too high or too low. The sights can be adjusted for windage, but not elevation. For changing elevation you remove the plastic front post and put in a different size. None of the sizes are good in my opinion. While the Ruger SR-22 will allow you adjust both elevation and windage which is great.
-Trigger pull is very heavy on double action mode. I believe it's an insane 14lbs. My GF had trouble squeezing the trigger in double action. Single action is pretty good
-Magazines are expensive at $40 a pop!
-You only get 1 magazine, I believe you get 2 with Ruger SR-22

Overall:

-When I bought this a year ago, the Ruger SR-22 wasn't out yet. So knowing what I know at the time, I do not regret the purchase. However, if I was looking for a .22LR today. I would get the Ruger SR-22. The mosquito is still a really fun gun, and I still love shooting it. Just don't think you can fire 20,000 rounds with out a malfunction. In fact, don't think that with any of the tacticool .22LR's. THEY ALL JAM. None of them are flawless. They are meant for fun economical shooting, and maybe self defense as a last resort. Hope you find this helpful

socalbowhunter
06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Sig Mosquito = POS

If, as yousay, they are meant for fun economical shooting, maybe your idea of fun is different than mine. I don't think it's fun to have at least 3 FTF's with each mag full.

TURNandBURN13
06-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Sig Mosquito = POS

If, as yousay, they are meant for fun economical shooting, maybe your idea of fun is different than mine. I don't think it's fun to have at least 3 FTF's with each mag full.

What are you firing that is giving you this much trouble?? I've had absolute horrible issues with Winchester. I've had really good luck with Remington golden bullets.

Procrastin8
06-08-2012, 12:28 AM
I want a gun where I can go to the range and get some rounds in. I have no affiliations with specific manufacturers. but I do like the idea of the mosquito.

socalbowhunter
06-08-2012, 12:35 AM
What are you firing that is giving you this much trouble?? I've had absolute horrible issues with Winchester. I've had really good luck with Remington golden bullets.

Tried Remington, Federal and CCI Velocitors, Mini-mags & Stingers. All have had the same issues. The gun is actually my buddy's, SocalMedic, but I've been with him every time he's "tried" to shoot it. Nothing we did made that thing load property.

nightwolf0215
06-08-2012, 12:36 AM
I want a gun where I can go to the range and get some rounds in. I have no affiliations with specific manufacturers. but I do like the idea of the mosquito.

I know what you mean. It actually looks like a real gun. I believe their problems can be fixed. Google around for more info. The Sig Mosquitoes are known to have issues.

Some good and cheap to shoot alternatives: sr22, gsg 1911 22, sig p226 22lr conversion.

if you dont care about the look: Ruger mkiii, browning buckmark, etc. (I personally liked the look of the ruger hunter a lot, it just didnt agree well with me for some reasons)

Procrastin8
06-08-2012, 1:19 AM
that's the thing. I DO have some pressure. I have a great friend (and FFL) lauding the mosquito. I have forum members cautioning (to say the least) the same gun. my family is a sig family. I know this is sourced. makes me feel weird. and I haven't shot any of these guns. so, I think it's time I should. reeds or Jackson? I want a .22 so the mosquito vs r22 it is (don't want a mark III etc)

Quiet
06-08-2012, 2:15 AM
that's the thing. I DO have some pressure. I have a great friend (and FFL) lauding the mosquito. I have forum members cautioning (to say the least) the same gun. my family is a sig family. I know this is sourced. makes me feel weird. and I haven't shot any of these guns. so, I think it's time I should. reeds or Jackson? I want a .22 so the mosquito vs r22 it is (don't want a mark III etc)

If it helps, the Mosquito is not a "real" SIG.
SIG contracted German Sport Gun (GSG) to design and manufacture the Mosquito for them.

GSG also makes the SIG 1911-22, which is just a rebranded GSG-1911.
The SIG 1911-22 (GSG-1911) is a far better performer (accuracy/reliability) than the Mosquito.

TURNandBURN13
06-08-2012, 7:30 AM
Tried Remington, Federal and CCI Velocitors, Mini-mags & Stingers. All have had the same issues. The gun is actually my buddy's, SocalMedic, but I've been with him every time he's "tried" to shoot it. Nothing we did made that thing load property.

Limp wristing??? Hahaha J/k...But seriously, you should have your buddy send it back to Sig. To have it jam 3 out 10 times is really bad. The mosquito doesn't run perfect for me, but if it's clean and lubed I can usually get the first couple hundred rounds with hardly a malfunction. After round 400 things get really bad.

socalbowhunter
06-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately he bought it from a Calgunner who failed to mention what a huge POS it was. Not sure if Sig will honor the warranty. He has it at a gunsmith right now. Hopefully the GS can get it to work.