PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding!!!

ih8needles
06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Springfield loaded 1911, glock 35, or build an ar-15? Which one shall I go with? I need some help deciding on what to get....I've shot them all and like them all but not sure which one to get...

Budd
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
What do you have already?

Euphoria526
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Get an AR10

marcus_bervus
06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
if this shall be your 1st gun, you should go with the 1911... ;-)

keenkeen
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
What do you have already?

Excellent question...

Chief-7700
06-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Springfield loaded 1911, glock 35, or build an ar-15? Which one shall I go with? I need some help deciding on what to get....I've shot them all and like them all but not sure which one to get...

Get what YOU want!!! Not what I want you to get...........

Xtracrispy
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Depends on what you already have. I bought a 1911 last August(I addition to the various rifles I already had) and said it would be my last gun for at least a year. Then I had to buy a Sig Mosquito so I had a .22 pistol, and I just built an AR.

My point is, you will likely end up with all 3, and sooner than you think.

So, what guns do you already own(If any), and what would your primary use be?

macnone
06-04-2012, 1:19 PM
For the first gun get S&W 627 V-comp. Nothing after that will be as accurate and easy to shoot!

:oji:

Lumpia is sarap!
06-04-2012, 1:20 PM

scglock
06-04-2012, 1:22 PM
Buy em all!

sirgiles
06-04-2012, 3:10 PM
use (plinking or hd)?
budget (for firearm and ammo)?

tacticalcity
06-04-2012, 5:09 PM
Handgun is the more practical choice. Glock is the most practical gun there is. Everybody should own one. However...

It is a sin to own guns in 45ACP unless at least one of them is a 1911. Pretty sure that's the 11th commandment.

ih8needles
06-04-2012, 8:57 PM
Sorry for the late replies fellas I was at the range spending some quality time with my xd9 v10 ported......I had a kimber custom tactical II....if I get the glock 35 I'm going to build it up as I want to get involved in competitive shooting......as for the 1911 they just feel solo good in the hands.....as for the AR I would use it for the occasional varmint and plinking at the outdoor ranges or the desert.....

ih8needles
06-05-2012, 5:21 PM
So I ended up with the loaded 1911!!

fullspeed1
06-05-2012, 5:28 PM

NEAT-O

IPSICK
06-05-2012, 6:02 PM
Handgun is the more practical choice...

???

I started with handguns and still love them, but are they more practical?

cebuvfr
06-05-2012, 6:30 PM
Good choice on the 1911.

ehuff73
06-05-2012, 6:52 PM
good choice there is a lot of accessories to choose from

someR1
06-06-2012, 7:10 AM

now go build that AR15 :D

GunHo
06-06-2012, 7:21 AM
It won't be long before you start itching for the AR15... It's a nice build project. At least get your lower now. I got my spikes lower in Sac for $129.00 OTD...

nocomply25
06-06-2012, 7:23 AM
Dude I have way more fun with my ar15 then i do my handgun...would rather have an ar15 then a handgun. So it looks like now you need to go out and get an ar15

whipkiller
06-06-2012, 7:35 AM

Excellent choice, sir. (see my sig)

Stainless, Park, or what? Why no pics? You know how we are.:D

teflondog
06-06-2012, 8:12 AM
???

It depends on your situation. Handguns are more practical for me since the indoor shooting range next to work doesn't allow rifles. So I get way more trigger time with handguns. If I'm lucky, I get to shoot rifles at the outdoor range twice a month. For self defense, a handgun is more practical as the first choice since you can't ccw a rifle.

ih8needles
06-06-2012, 3:28 PM
here's a sneak peek at the new family member!!

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/ihateneedles/e046a7db.jpg

GunHo
06-06-2012, 3:40 PM
Oh Hella! Another one with the SA 1911 9mm. Great choice. Congrats. At least 6 calgunners got one recently. That gun is bad @$$. Like i tell every one, the gun has suspension; smooth as. butter. Enjoy...

IPSICK
06-06-2012, 3:40 PM
It depends on your situation. Handguns are more practical for me since the indoor shooting range next to work doesn't allow rifles. So I get way more trigger time with handguns. If I'm lucky, I get to shoot rifles at the outdoor range twice a month. For self defense, a handgun is more practical as the first choice since you can't ccw a rifle.

Two words: "Conversion kit"

Another two words: "dedicated upper"

I get plenty of trigger time with the AR shooting cheap .22lr, even more than my handguns lately.

As for CCW, I agree but I live in good old Alameda County and I think I have a higher likelihood of being struck by lightning than getting a CCW permit.

When I hear practical, I tend to assume versatile and I think the rifle is more versatile than the handgun. Hunting, Self-defense, and the dreaded SHTF (I hated even typing those letters on this forum).

ih8needles
06-06-2012, 3:43 PM
Oh Hella! Another one with the SA 1911 9mm. Great choice. Congrats. At least 6 calgunners got one recently. That gun is bad @$$. Like i tell every one, the gun has suspension; smooth as. butter. Enjoy...

9mm? Mines a .45

IPSICK
06-06-2012, 3:43 PM
here's a sneak peek at the new family member!!

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/ihateneedles/e046a7db.jpg

Good choice. Even though I was advocating the AR, a Springfield Loaded 1911 is still a solid decision. Let me know when you discover the Springfield Custom Shop worksheet or the Louder Than Words website. Loaded 1911s make great base guns.

GunHo
06-06-2012, 3:45 PM
Ooops. Sori. I thought it was the 9mm. Ive tried the. 45. A little more kick. Still very smooth.

ih8needles
06-06-2012, 3:49 PM
Two words: "Conversion kit"

Another two words: "dedicated upper"

I get plenty of trigger time with the AR shooting cheap .22lr, even more than my handguns lately.

As for CCW, I agree but I live in good old Alameda County and I think I have a higher likelihood of being struck by lightning than getting a CCW permit.

When I hear practical, I tend to assume versatile and I think the rifle is more versatile than the handgun. Hunting, Self-defense, and the dreaded SHTF (I hated even typing those letters on this forum).

The wife says next paycheck I get my ar lower....I'm thinking Ledesma arms

tacticalcity
06-06-2012, 4:26 PM
???

Was looking at the 3 options listed in his OP, and no others. Also assumed it was his first and only gun, because he didn't say otherwise.

In the strictest since of the word, concealability makes the handgun more practical, but that's not really what I meant.

A bullet button equiped or featureless AR-15 is fun and a must own, but not practical. The term "practical" is code for very ideal in self defense. Hence schools offering "Practical Rifle" courses, and every gun on the range being an AR and the course dealing primarily with CQB type shooting.

Don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE fan of the AR platform. Even California equipped ones. But I'm also realistic about it's limitations. I run courses with the AR, and my Glock on my hip. Here in California I run them with the bullet button, because featureless is just too goofy for me. As much as I love those courses, they highlight and expose the limitations of a California equipped AR-15. To me that magazine release button makes all the difference in the world, when it comes to actually using it in a gun fight. Those who think 10 rounds is all they will ever need just haven't got enough training or experience to know better. And for me, a pistol grip is essential to mastering the manual of arms on that particular rifle. Featureless or bulletbutton, it's gonna be too goofy to be the gun you reach for when things go bump in the night.

So while in any other state I would adopt the "my handgun gets me to my rifle" approach, in California my handgun is my primary self defense weapon. Why? Because I am considerably more proficient with it than I am with my shotgun and like I said above I don't trust the california equipped AR to be the right tool for the job. I have about 1000 times the trigger time on a handgun. I used to have more time on the AR, having served in the military, but thanks to a boat load of courses my handgun proficiency now exceeds my skillset with an AR. I'm not nearly as profiecient with the shotgun. If something goes wrong I won't be able to clear it as fast, and I don't really know all of my holds. It's never excited me as much as the handgun or AR, so I haven't put in the time and training to truly master the shotgun.

Now take that bullet button off my M4, and do so legally (as in outside CA) and my attitude completely changes. As good as I am with a handgun, I would want both it and a carbine if possible. The two compliment each other well if you know how to use them right. But with the bullet button on it, the AR is more a toy with the potential to be one hell of a "practical" rifle.

Kinda like a governor on a 1969 SS Camero. It limits the cars performance to keep little Johnny's demons from getting the better of him until he has some years behind the wheel and can be trusted not to get into trouble without it. Even with the governor on it, it is one hell of a car...but you wouldn't want to take it to Sears Point and race it until you removed it.

So if I had to own just one gun...it would be a handgun and a Glock at that. If I could only own two, it would be a handgun and an AR15, even a nuetered one. If I could own three, suddenly a 1911 starts looking pretty sexy or maybe a baby Glock to go with my CCW. For me, I always gravitate towards the handgun first then start looking at other possibilities.

tacticalcity
06-06-2012, 5:00 PM
Nice choice. I like the 1911 a lot. Amazing trigger, fabulous action, a dream to shoot.