View Full Version : I have to brag a little

06-04-2012, 9:45 AM
I just went out shooting at Angeles on Saturday.

I went to sight in my new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP scope.

It's sitting on my Remington 700 SPS varmint, 26" heavy barrel.

The rifle still has the crappy/flimsy SPS stock, and a pretty heavy factory trigger.

However, after sighting it in, and getting it zero's at 100 yards, I loaded up some good quality factory ammo and went for it's first group.

I used Federal, 168 grain, Sierra Match King BTHP. Loaded one round at a time, and shooting from the bench, I made this 5 shot group! Measures .35 MOA. I was thoroughly impressed with my rifle, my scope, and myself. I'm pretty new to shooting rifles, so I really didn't think I'd be capable of something like this. And I really didn't even think my rifle would be capable of something like this. It's a factory 700 with a flimsy stock and a heavy trigger, basically straight off the shelf. Haven't done any of the things I have planned for it yet.

06-04-2012, 9:54 AM
It ain't bragging if you can do it...

Great shooting. How are you going to convince yourself to make changes to the rifle with shooting like that?

06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Nah, it ain't braggin. Facts are facts. And the fact is you can plain out shoot. Good job, now push it out to 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 1 mile +. More variables will come into play. Wind, elevation, temperature...

06-04-2012, 10:20 AM
The SPS-V is no slouch even in its cheap stock...good shootin!

06-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Wow..great shooting...

06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks! I'm definitely going to be adding challenges to myself, so I can do this consistently.

A few other groups were averaging about 3/4 to 1moa, but that was also with cheap American Eagle ammo. I didn't expect that much of a difference between the good stuff and the cheap stuff. I'll be loading my own ammo, and will probably start with a load that matches that of the good federal stuff I used.

And yes, I'm a little afraid to make any changes to the rifle with it shooting this well. The main thing I was going to do was change the stock, and possibly a larger bolt knob. I was thinking about a muzzle brake, but that would possibly change how it shoots more than the other things. I better trigger would be nice as well. The factory one is crisp...at least to me, but it just feels so heavy. I'd love for it to be lighter than it is.

Do you guys think that getting a different stock would change the accuracy? I could probably live without the other things, but the stock needs to be changed...if not for improving accuracy, then for improving fit to myself, comfort, and looks.

I was wanting to get the B&C Tactical Medalist A5 in Olive w/black web.

Again, thanks for the kind words. I need to work up to further distances and really improve my skills. I've been a handgun shooter for the last few years, and just got into shooting rifles. This was only my 3rd time shooting anything more than a 22lr. I'd love to be able to learn techniques for long range shooting, and also be able to adjust for wind and other variables. I guess that will come in time.

I hope I can keep up with how good I did this last weekend. I've set the bar really high for myself. Hopefully I can keep that up.

06-04-2012, 10:38 AM
It will help in the fact that it would be more consistent. Right now to get groups like that the pressure on the stock has to stay consistent but its so flimsy it isnt always easy.

A better free floated stock will make that easier.

06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Great shooting!

06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Very nice... Im almost at that range =) holes are barely touching each other.

till then.. ill bow to all you guys who can get them holes to touch

06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
If you going to go with the B&C stock you might need to bed the stock. I like AI stock just drop it in and done. Brake is a must have if you want to spot your own hit. BTW great shooting.

06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Very nice man. Good example of why the operator is as important as the equipment.

06-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Great shooting! I want to get a 700 and I am an ok shot with a rifle so your awesome groups are increasing my confidence!

06-04-2012, 12:21 PM
What mount and rings were you using?

06-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Really, really nice group. That one is a keeper, don't ever sell that gun.

06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
What mount and rings were you using?

EGW 20moa 1 piece mount, and Burris XTR rings...I think they are lows. Lapped them when mounting to make sure they'd hold the scope tight.

If you going to go with the B&C stock you might need to bed the stock. I like AI stock just drop it in and done. Brake is a must have if you want to spot your own hit. BTW great shooting.

As for the bedding on the stock, the 'style 5' supposedly has a full length aluminum bedding surface.

From the site...
The full-length CNC-machined bedding block runs from the bottom of the vertically-oriented grip through the tang and recoil lug region all the way to the tip of the forend. This not only adds a tremendous amount of stiffness and durability to the stock but also provides an exceptionally precise digitally machined bedding platform mated to the round-bottom of your M700 receiver.

I wouldn't have to bed anything beyond this, right?

This stock also weighs 3 pounds more than the factory SPS stock, and has a better recoil pad. I'm a thin build guy...5'10" and 150lbs, so the 308 in the original stock really kicks on my shoulder. I'm hoping the adjustability, weight, and deceleration pad of this B&C stock can help with that. It takes a lot of concentration to not flinch because I know it's going to hurt my shoulder.