PDA

View Full Version : RIA 1911 GI Shoots Low

itisagoodname
06-04-2012, 9:29 AM
I'd like to hear from people who have a 1911 GI and 1911 Tactical by Rock Island Armory. My pistol shoots dead center and the POI is always at the very base of the front sight.

I get pretty good groups but i just don't like my front sight post covering the whole target.

Anyone else have issues or possible fixes?

In addition, i find the face of the trigger very harsh. Im considering switching to the tactical slide as well as combat hammer and 2D trigger. Would this even be worth it?

Tjfearl
06-04-2012, 10:16 AM
at what yard line is this POI?

itisagoodname
06-04-2012, 10:28 AM
10-15 yard. My CZ and Beretta are dead on and can shoot through the hole the .45 makes without any awkward aiming tricks.

Also should note this is with 230gr bullets.

Low-Pressure
06-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I use image #2 with my RIA Tac.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/lowpressure/sightimages.jpg

Tjfearl
06-04-2012, 10:32 AM
do you try to compensate for the 45 and push the muzzle down as you shoot?

itisagoodname
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
I use image #2 with my RIA Tac.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/lowpressure/sightimages.jpg

I'd be using image #4 if there were one. Aim for the head to hit the heart.

Sight image 2/3 works well for the Beretta and the CZ

do you try to compensate for the 45 and push the muzzle down as you shoot?

Not any more than for the 9mm. To be honest, i don't notice that much more recoil than the 9mm, i was expecting more. Once i finally found out where it was shooting it was much more consistent, the trigger is crisp but the face is very harsh on the finger.

Tjfearl
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
I cant see the images, but I know with my pistol at 5-7 im usually POA-POI, but 10-15 I have to aim a little high to hit where I want. I shoot a m&p 40.

walmart_ar15
06-05-2012, 7:41 PM
I have the same issue with the 38 Super RIA in 9mm. It shots POA-POI at base of the front sight. If you use a ballistic calculator, at 5 yrd, it will be 1/4" low just due to ballistic if the sights are setup to be 25 yrd zero. I also noticed on my RIA the barrel is tilted ever so slightly downward due to bushing vs slide lock up.

It does not bother me much, but you can replace the rear sight with a taller fixed sight or use a adjustable rear sight if you want to fix it.

Tee Why
06-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Just got and shot my RIA 1911 GI in compact size. Yup, mine shoots pretty low. I have to have the front sight stick out above the notch of the rear sight and hold the base of the front sight over where I want to hit it. Took me a few shots to get used to it but I'm not intending to do long distance target shooting with those GI sights anyway.

joelberg
06-06-2012, 4:32 AM
you're probably compensating and pushing the shot down when you pull the trigger. I hit dead on target with one of my guns, but since the trigger pull is somewhat heavy and long, my girlfriend always shoots low with it. She just needs more practice. You're probably doing the same thing, it's relatively common. Try having a very experienced pistol marksman shoot your gun and see how they do with it.

someR1
06-06-2012, 7:07 AM
my tactical shoots perfect. Maybe you are doing something else wrong ?