PDA

View Full Version : CA BLMs (if any) that allow taget shooting?

bassplayrr
10-16-2005, 1:34 PM
Do any of the few CA BLMs allow for target shooting. I want to find a place to practice multiple positions for shooting and at multiple distances that just aren't possible at the local range. I soppose I could always just go varmint hunting and 'miss' a lot, but I normally like to the things as legit as possible. :D I'm sorry for what is likely a n00b question, but I only joined this forum about two weeks ago and had been using the seach feature to answer questions like this. But with the newly designed site I have to ask the dumb questions.

-Chris

C.G.
10-16-2005, 1:40 PM
Do any of the few CA BLMs allow for target shooting. I want to find a place to practice multiple positions for shooting and at multiple distances that just aren't possible at the local range. I soppose I could always just go varmint hunting and 'miss' a lot, but I normally like to the things as legit as possible. :D I'm sorry for what is likely a n00b question, but I only joined this forum about two weeks ago and had been using the seach feature to answer questions like this. But with the newly designed site I have to ask the dumb questions.

-Chris

Check this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=39 :D

bassplayrr
10-16-2005, 1:44 PM
Sorry. I was under the impression that Panoche Hills was a no target shooting BLM. I hate being new and asking stupid questions. :o I'm not trying to annoy, I promise. :)

-Chris

bassplayrr
10-16-2005, 2:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up. My scandinavian roots mean that heat and I don't mix, so the cooler months are actually preferred. :) Man, I had no idea Panoche Hills was open to target shooting. Time for me to schedule a weekend trip.

-Chris

C.G.
10-16-2005, 2:46 PM
Sorry. I was under the impression that Panoche Hills was a no target shooting BLM. I hate being new and asking stupid questions. :o I'm not trying to annoy, I promise. :)

-Chris
No worries; I am semi new and still ask stupid questions, sometimes twice!:D

pieeater
10-17-2005, 3:08 PM
There is BLM in Yolo, North Napa and Lake county. I'm not sure which would be closer for you, I'm not familiar with Panoche hills.

C.G.
10-17-2005, 4:10 PM
There is BLM in Yolo, North Napa and Lake county. I'm not sure which would be closer for you, I'm not familiar with Panoche hills.

Follow the link: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region4/images/PanocheHills_Reservoir_web.jpg

wuhungsix
10-22-2005, 3:41 AM
sorry for the stupid question but what does BLM stand for?...i have shot up at crystal basin recreation area (aka Icehouse) i think is desolation wilderness up there. also where is this BLM in yolo county, just moved to w. sac. thanks.:)

pieeater
10-22-2005, 7:50 AM
sorry for the stupid question but what does BLM stand for?...i have shot up at crystal basin recreation area (aka Icehouse) i think is desolation wilderness up there. also where is this BLM in yolo county, just moved to w. sac. thanks.:)BLM= Bureau of Land Management. NF = National Forest. There is BLM off of HWY 16 not too far from Cache creek.

leesagi
10-31-2005, 1:52 PM
I was at Panoche hills with my girlfriend this past Friday and Saturday, talking about the wild wild west :D .

It's really cool, I was there for 2 days and saw only one car on my way out, there were many fun 4x4 light trails to go on and you can shoot anything anywhere anytime there.

Is there anyplace else that will let you drive your truck or motorcycle and allow target shooting??? I'm planing to do it again this next weekend but would like to try another place (BLM I guess)

Check out this short video clip http://www.leesagi.com/clips/2005_oct_wild_west.wmv

if you want to see photos check www.leesagi.com (http://www.leesagi.com/pages/photos.htm) (click on the "Wild Wild West .......")

Lee.

Rascal
10-31-2005, 2:37 PM
Leesagi,
You can shoot in the national forest. I go to Sequoia all the time and shoot there. Sequoia national forest NOT the national park.
I hope you got a fire permit, as they will ticket you at Panoche if you don't have one. The first picture if you shooting is right at the front of the 3rd gate. I shoot there all the time when they close the gates.

Hey in the wonderyears 90's pictures what did you do to your foot?

leesagi
10-31-2005, 2:49 PM
Leesagi,
You can shoot in the national forest. I go to Sequoia all the time and shoot there. Sequoia national forest NOT the national park.
I hope you got a fire permit, as they will ticket you at Panoche if you don't have one. The first picture if you shooting is right at the front of the 3rd gate. I shoot there all the time when they close the gates.

Hey in the wonderyears 90's pictures what did you do to your foot?

In the Sequoia forst, can you drive a 4x4 in there and camp for the night? (and do some target shooting with out a hunting license). Do you know of any place like that with in the range of around 150 miles from San Mateo?

My foot :p ..... that was when I first came to the US, on the first hour of the first day of my first job in NY. I got my foot stuck between a truck and a lift (moving furniture) and crashed half my foot...... that happend at 6am and I was working moving furniture for the rest of the day until around 6pm, the picture was taken when I got back home.........fun stuff :D

Lee.

Rascal
10-31-2005, 5:28 PM
In the Sequoia forst, can you drive a 4x4 in there and camp for the night? (and do some target shooting with out a hunting license). Do you know of any place like that with in the range of around 150 miles from San Mateo?
Lee.

There are lots of places to camp in Sequioa National Forest, but if you camp outside of the regular camping sites, then you need a fire permit. You must also not use the trees to hang your targets on, as you will get into trouble for doing that. There are plenty of fire roads that you can get way back into the forest, but make sure you know where you are, as you don't want to get caught in a wilderness area in a motor vehicle.

glafountaine
05-02-2006, 7:26 PM
CLICK HERE (CLICK HERE) To see a good State Map.

The types of land are listed by their color. Check the lower left to see the legend...